Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mogul being used as the side note fight again, haha

Once again we see Mogul pop up in a fight with Superman thats unrelated to the main story in Leviathan Rising. I think a few months back he was used in another "meanwhile Superman was easily taking down this villain" tone that wasn't part of the main story either.

Poor Mongul, haha.

Astonishing Member

How? He has been a paper tiger since he was reintroduced in the post-Crisis era stories with Stern/Ordway/Jurgens. I was actually expecting something like the superstrong YJ version in those stories, but he went down embarrassingly fast. The same for his son who got taken down by one bite from Krypto (probably the most embarrassing incident).

For some reason I always thought he was a bigger physical threat to Superman, but I can't really site any examples. Maybe I was conditioned to think he was badder than he is due to him being part of Coast City's destruction back in the 90s!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Mongul should be a huge threat. He was in one of the best Superman stories ever.

The dude should be your go to for intergalactic despots.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    For some reason I always thought he was a bigger physical threat to Superman, but I can't really site any examples. Maybe I was conditioned to think he was badder than he is due to him being part of Coast City's destruction back in the 90s!
    Probably cause of scenes like...

Last edited by Güicho; 06-26-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I think it is the same fight.

I think Bendis is alluding that these events take place around the same time.

What's funny if you actually read it, Jordan's defeat of Mongul, was all about Hal overcoming the pain of Coast City; physical and mental, silencing the voices that called out for Justice.
    Putting them behind him, and driving ahead, focusing on the survivors and the future.
    That was Jordan, how he survived.

Of course DC needing another shock and awe event to quickly build upon, magically retconed it (and his driving will) away, like it never happened, flushed down the Emerald Toilet. So they could have him go total "event driven" insane instead.
    LOL!
    Absolute character assassination and betrayal.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-27-2019 at 03:38 AM.

I've always liked Mongul but haven't read much with him I it. Any recommendations? Also, just something I've always wondered...have they ever acknowledged that he looks so similar to Darkseid? Or why? I've always wondered if it was intentional with some real reason or, just because

I remember when I used to think Mongul and Darkseid were the same person.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I'd just like to point out that Bendis is notoriously bad when it comes to power levels .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    I've always liked Mongul but haven't read much with him I it. Any recommendations? Also, just something I've always wondered...have they ever acknowledged that he looks so similar to Darkseid? Or why? I've always wondered if it was intentional with some real reason or, just because
    As far as I know they haven't. Darkseid and Mongul were both created by the same guy (I think) so he just stuck with a similar design.

Funnily enough in the "Batman: The Brave and The Bold" cartoon Steppenwolf seems to be the same species as Mongul and his sister.

Astonishing Member

You are mixing it up with Thanos who along with Mongul were both created by Jim Starlin.

Darkseid however is the creation of Jack Kirby aka the King.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    You are mixing it up with Thanos who along with Mongul were both created by Jim Starlin.

Darkseid however is the creation of Jack Kirby aka the King.
    I stand corrected. Sorry about that.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Mongul has gotten the rough end of the pineapple for years now.
    Which is a shame, because I think when he DOES show up he SHOULD be a major threat.
    The bloke ruled Warworld! Not a place made of sunshine, rainbows and polite democracy.
    He should be portrayed as a character powerful enough and RUTHLESS enough to give Superman pause.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I feel like he's not known to be an interesting character. I couldn't possibly tell you what his personality is. When a character is well known, strong, but not exactly compelling, this is what happens.