Default Seeking Character Identification - "Echoes of Captain Marvel" Alex Ross

Greetings - first time poster, here.

Hoping to get some help. I've been working with a few other groups to create a visual reference of characters in Alex Ross' "Echoes of Shazam" and have identified every character but 1.

You can see the current list on my new webpage dedicated to the Original Captain Marvel here:

http://www.metropolisplus.com/Shazam!/

I was hoping to obtain some help, here.

There's one character that we're still stuck without identifying (UPDATE - ONLY 1 CHARACTER LEFT TO IDENTIFY!):

1. Huge Fire Guy on far right w/ The Flying Man & Wizard on his shoulder (sort of behind Shazzan, the giant genie). He looks quite different & I can't place him.
    WhoAreTheseCharacters4.jpg

If anyone can help, I'd be appreciative.

It's been a long couple of days pouring over the image to collect them all and when I've completed the list, I'll share right here if anyone's interested. If you'd like to see progress and you're a member of any comics groups in which I've posted the list so far on Facebook, you can check them out. They are:
    Public Domain HEROES
    Earth-S: Home of "The Original" Captain Marvel
    The ORIGINAL Captain Marvel
    and
    DC Comics Fans 1956-1986

Appreciate any help you can give - my thanks, in advance!!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian G. Philbin
    Webmaster, MetropolisPlus.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BGPhilbin; 04-26-2020 at 12:28 PM.

UPDATE! #3 HAS BEEN FOUND: Worried-looking Cap & Billy behind Kingdom Come Captain Marvel. CAPTAIN MARBLE & BILLY BATTYSON (Billy takes "Old Doc Shazam's Elixir" containing "Smaltz herring, Hedgehog quills, Axel grease, Zebra livers, Avocado seeds, Mashed garlic) - another parody by "Get Lost" magazine, drawn by Ross Andru - thanks to Rudy Panucci from the Earth-S: Home of "The Original" Captain Marvel Facebook group!)

IT IS DOWN TO TWO!!
    Last edited by BGPhilbin; 06-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Just FYI, for those of you reading - yes, that's about the level of detail I get into with most of the less-identifiable characters. Once they're identified, I research them to verify, then I provide the name of the hero, alter ego, method by which they change into the hero and possibly a bit of background in order to help clarify where the character comes from. It's not that way for the obvious ones like the original Cap and Billy, Mar-Vell, Carol Danvers, etc., but since some of these are a bit obscure, I try to provide a bit of detail. The list is very long, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by BGPhilbin View Post

1. Huge Fire Guy on far right (sort of behind Shazzan, the giant genie). He looks quite different & I can't place him.
    WhoAreTheseCharacters4.jpg
    Although he's an in universe character, could be a New version of SABBAC! ?

Somewhere between these two...

Can you post all the others you have.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks for your comment Guicho!! Greatly appreciated!

Yeah, if there were any iterations of Sabbac that resembled the character pictured, I'd be all over it. Being that Alex Ross has quite expertly mimicked the art styles of about 60-odd different artists, I would expect we'd be able to see a remarkable similarity between what he drew and one of the versions of Sabbac. Sadly, I can't find any version that works with what he drew. This drawing doesn't have Ibac, either, so I think Ross stayed away from anything that wasn't directly Captain Marvel/Shazam! from his own "universe".

And I will post the whole list below!

Thanks, again!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian

FOR THE RECORD - all 73 characters/groups and alter egos identified thus far:

TOP CENTER:
    Shazam, the wizard (Top Center, dominating the background)
    Elvis' jet upper left with the Marvel Family logo & TCB (Taking Care of Business)

FRONT & CENTER:
    Captain Marvel & Billy Batson (a la CC Beck, front and center)
    Carol Danvers CM (next to Cap & Billy)
    MF Ent. Captain Marvel (Prof. Roger Winkle "Split!", "Xam!" - next to Carol Danvers)

RIGHT, STARTING AT THE TOP:
    Thunderbunny
    Captain Marvel from "The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam!"
    Lightning/ Thunder (Synthetic Lifeform, changes from Lightning to Thunder)
    Genis-Vell (Redesign)
    Shazzan (giant genie from Saturday Morning cartoon)
    SheZow (Guy Hamdon, "You Go Girl!", with magic ring)
    Fatman the Human Flying Saucer (Van Crawford)
    Chuck, Nancy and Kaboobie the flying camel (from Shazzan)
    Shaloman (inanimate rock, "Oy vey!", shouted by others)

Original Mar-Vell
    Amalgam Captain Marvel (on our left of Mar-Vell in his original Kree togs)
    Darna/Varga (Narda)
    Captain Thunder, Billy & Mary Batson, Freddy Freeman, Eugene Choi, Pedro Peña, Darla Dudley and Tawky Tawny the Tiger (“Shazam!” foster kids turn into Flashpoint Captain Thunder)
    Captain Flash (Prof. Keith Spencer "Claps Hands")
    Captain Barbell (Tenteng/Enteng, "Captain Barbell!" while lifting a magic barbell)
    Pureheart the Powerful (Archie Andrews, "PH Factor")
    The Fly (Tommy Troy, "I wish I were The Fly" with magic fly ring)
    Captain Tootsie
    The current, hooded iteration (Shazam!) and his foster siblings
    Dynamo (from T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents)
    Genis-Vell (Alex Ross Redesign)
    Mar-Vell of Earth-X (kid holding Captain America's shield)
    Adam Warlock
    Robby Reed (Dial "H" for Hero)
    Kingdom Come Captain Marvel
    Captain Marble and Billy Battyson (Billy takes "Old Doc Shazam's Elixir" containing "Smaltz herring, Hedgehog quills, Axel grease, Zebra livers, Avocado seeds, Mashed garlic) - cowering behind Kingdom Come Captain Marvel's leg - a parody by "Get Lost" magazine, drawn by Ross Andru)
    Genis-Vell ("Nega-Bands", w/ Rick Jones)
    Etrigan, The Demon (Jason Blood, "Change! Change! O form of man! Free the prince forever damned! Free the might from fleshy mire! Boil the blood in the heart for fire! Gone! Gone! O form of man, And rise the demon Etrigan!!")
    Champion (a young Shazam, “Vlarem!” [an anagram for “Marvel”] - strength of Voldar, the wisdom of Lumiun, the speed of Arel, the power of Ribalvei, the courage of Elbiam, the stamina of Marzosh)
    Kevin Matchstick (from Matt Wagner's Mage)
    Madman
    Omac (Buddy Blank, changed by a beam from Brother Eye, a computer AI satellite)

Captain Marbles (& Billy Spafon "Shazoom" from Superduperman)
    The Gentleman (from Astro City, looking like Fred MacMurray - and his daughter, looking like Judy Garland)
    Captain Marvel Bunny (Hoppy)
    A Mego Captain Marvel

LEFT, STARTING AT THE TOP:
    Ultraman (Hayata) and Ultraseven
    Powerman/Powerbolt (from Power Comics, Eclipse)
    Captain Marvel (Filmation, w/ kid on his back)
    Thundergirl (from Big Bang Comics)
    Mighty Mightor (holds magic club in air, sometimes shouts "Mightor!")

Spectreman (Jôji Gamô)
    Superior (Simon Pooni in wheelchair, "One Magic Wish")
    Eightman/8 Man (Detective Yokoda/Hachiro Azuma w/ Sachiko Seki & supporting characters)
    Young Samson and Goliath (slams wristbands together to change)
    Sinbad Jr. and his Magic Belt
    He-Man (Prince Adam) & Battle Cat (Cringer)
    Forever People & the Infinity-Man (“Taaru!” & Mother Box)
    Billy/Cap as Shazam (seated)
    Thunder (Ceecee Beck from Legionnaires/LOSH)

Son-O-God (Benny Davis, "Jesus Christ!" from National Lampoon, looks like Jesus & kid w/ glasses next to him)
    Mighty Man
    Prime (Kevin Green)
    Thor/Dr. Donald Blake
    Captain Thunder (& Willie Fawcett, "Thunder!" while rubbing his magic belt)
    Isis (Andrea Thomas, "Oh, Mighty Isis!")

Marvelman/Miracleman (Micky Moran "Kimota!")
    Ben 10 (and Grandpa Max)
    Captain Super of "Earth-2" (Earth-3, originally, minion of Superwoman)
    Kirby Captain Marvel (as Alex mentions, lots of Kirby/Captain Marvel connections)
    Gomer Pyle ("Shazayum!")
    Freddy as Captain Marvel
    Monica Rambeau (Photon) CM
    Kid Miracleman/Kid Marvelman (Johnny Bates, “Kimota!”)
    Mar-Vell, final costume & cosmic awareness, ("Nega-Bands", also w/ Rick Jones)

And the raft of television, movie & comic book versions of Captain Marvel/Billy (I think every actor who played Captain Marvel & Billy on television and the movie serial version, as well, are represented, here):
    Brie Larson's version w/ Zachary Levi
    Tom Tyler as Cap & Frank Coghlan, Jr. as Billy
    Jackson Bostwick as Cap, Michael Gray as Billy, John Davey as Cap, Garrett Craig as Cap
    Brandon Molale, Actor who wanted to play Captain Marvel

AS MENTIONED ABOVE ONLY 2 UNIDENTIFIED CHARACTERS TO GO!

GREAT THANKS go to Marlin Muhe, Hugh H. Davis, Todd Riggs, Chris Sanders, Rudy Panucci, Matt Hickman, Pól Rua, Roy Johnson, Tory Jeremiah D'Anna, Allen Berrebbi, Wayne Garml, Joe Sewell and James Reed for their help identifying 26 different characters in this project that I could not on my own!
    Last edited by BGPhilbin; 07-10-2019 at 06:13 PM.

TOP CENTER:
    Elvis' jet upper left with the Marvel Family logo & TCB (Taking Care of Business)

FRONT & CENTER:
    MF Ent. Captain Marvel (Prof. Roger Winkle "Split!", "Xam!" - next to Carol Danvers)

Thunderbunny
    Genis-Vell (Redesign)

Original Mar-Vell
    Darna/Varga (Narda)
    Captain Thunder, Billy & Mary Batson, Freddy Freeman, Eugene Choi, Pedro Peña, Darla Dudley and Tawky Tawny the Tiger (“Shazam!” foster kids turn into Flashpoint Captain Thunder)
    Captain Barbell (Tenteng/Enteng, "Captain Barbell!" while lifting a magic barbell)
    Captain Tootsie
    Adam Warlock
    Captain Marble and Billy Battyson (Billy takes "Old Doc Shazam's Elixir" containing "Smaltz herring, Hedgehog quills, Axel grease, Zebra livers, Avocado seeds, Mashed garlic) - cowering behind Kingdom Come Captain Marvel's leg - a parody by "Get Lost" magazine, drawn by Ross Andru)
    Etrigan, The Demon (Jason Blood, "Change! Change! O form of man! Free the prince forever damned! Free the might from fleshy mire! Boil the blood in the heart for fire! Gone! Gone! O form of man, And rise the demon Etrigan!!")
    Champion (a young Shazam, “Vlarem!” [an anagram for “Marvel”] - strength of Voldar, the wisdom of Lumiun, the speed of Arel, the power of Ribalvei, the courage of Elbiam, the stamina of Marzosh)
    Madman

The Gentleman (from Astro City, looking like Fred MacMurray - and his daughter, looking like Judy Garland)
    A Mego Captain Marvel

Spectreman (Jôji Gamô)
    Eightman/8 Man (Detective Yokoda/Hachiro Azuma w/ Sachiko Seki & supporting characters)

Son-O-God (Benny Davis, "Jesus Christ!" from National Lampoon, looks like Jesus & kid w/ glasses next to him)
    Mighty Man
    Prime (Kevin Green)
    Thor/Dr. Donald Blake

Ben 10 (and Grandpa Max)
    Captain Super of "Earth-2" (Earth-3, originally)
    Kirby Captain Marvel (as Alex mentions, lots of Kirby/Captain Marvel connections)
    Gomer Pyle ("Shazayum!")
    Freddy as Captain Marvel

And the raft of television, movie & comic book versions of Captain Marvel/Billy (I think every actor who played Captain Marvel & Billy on television and the movie serial version, as well, are represented, here):
    Jackson Bostwick as Cap, Michael Gray as Billy, John Davey as Cap, Garrett Craig as Cap

GREAT THANKS go to Marlin Muhe, Hugh H. Davis, Todd Riggs, Chris Sanders, Rudy Panucci, Matt Hickman, Pól Rua, Roy Johnson, Tory Jeremiah D'Anna, Allen Berrebbi, Wayne Garml, Joe Sewell and James Reed for their help identifying 26 different characters in this project that I could not on my own!
    Dont see Cap from the Young Justice Cartoon, Earth-1 African-American Captain Marvel, Black Vulcan at one time was to be tied to the Shazam mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Dont see Cap from the Young Justice Cartoon, Earth-1 African-American Captain Marvel, Black Vulcan at one time was to be tied to the Shazam mythos.
    Hi, Lonewolf36 -

If you're referring to them not being on the list, and understanding that the point of this exercise is to create a key to the characters for Alex Ross' "Echoes of Captain Marvel" drawing (image linked in the initial post), If they're not in Alex Ross' drawing, they're not listed here.

By accurately describing the characters in the drawing, we can spur further discussion on their relationship to the idea of Captain Marvel as a concept.

If we remain ignorant of who the characters are, we are incapable of ensuring we begin a conversation such as "he could have also included..." because we don't know all the names of all the characters in the drawing itself.

That said, the fact that this is an 11" x 17" piece of paper and that the likenesses of actors and styles of artists are so very recognizable makes this a rather incredible feat. Fitting over 100 recognizable characters on this single piece of paper is rather amazing.

If you're referring to the drawing, we would need to be able to ask Alex Ross why he chose to omit them from the limited space he had to work with. He explains that a lot of these came from research, but that the majority just fell out of his head.

Here's a link to his video where he describes the genesis of the drawing:
    https://youtu.be/bodRtl_3654

Hope that helps!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian

TOP CENTER:

FRONT & CENTER:

Thunderbunny
    Genis-Vell (Redesign)

Original Mar-Vell
    Darna/Varga (Narda)
    Captain Tootsie
    Adam Warlock
    Madman

A Mego Captain Marvel

Spectreman (Jôji Gamô)

Mighty Man
    Prime (Kevin Green)
    Thor/Dr. Donald Blake

Ben 10 (and Grandpa Max)
    Captain Super of "Earth-2" (Earth-3, originally)
    Gomer Pyle ("Shazayum!")
    Freddy as Captain Marvel

Fantastic, I thought I was familiar with so many, yet there are several here I never knew about. Very informative, thanks for gathering all that, and sharing it.
    Some made me laugh LOL the Mego figure.

Not contesting it, just curious what is the difference with these two? Was that two different animated shows and different look?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Dont see Cap from the Young Justice Cartoon.
    There is a few animated incarnations he could have added, Justice League Unlimited (JLU) version, Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam, Justice League: War. Teen Titans Go version and more... but yeah understandable he's not going to do them all, he had allot to cover.

And although the new Shazamily get a nod in their Flash-point incarnation, I'm surprised he didn't reference their more current ongoing version (yes with blond Freddy LOL!) Or their movie transformed versions (although this was likely before the movie reveal)

I see this ^ As you indicate that is disinct from... the bellow
    I see the "current, hooded iteration" of Billy and Shazam, ...but I'm not seeing "...and his foster siblings" part?. Am I totally missing them, or are they not there?
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-27-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Fantastic, I thought I was familiar with so many, yet there are several here I never knew about. Very informative, thanks for gathering all that, and sharing it.
    Some made me laugh LOL the Mego figure.

Not contesting it, just curious what is the difference with these two? Was that two different animated shows and different look?

There is a few animated incarnations he could have added, Justice League Unlimited (JLU) version, Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam, Justice League: War. Teen Titans Go version and more... but yeah understandable he's not going to do them all, he had allot to cover.

And although the new Shazamily get a nod in their Flash-point incarnation, I'm surprised he didn't reference their more current ongoing version (yes with blond Freddy LOL!) Or their movie transformed versions (although this was likely before the movie reveal)

I see this ^ As you indicate that is disinct from... the bellow
    I see the "current, hooded iteration" of Billy and Shazam, ...but I'm not seeing "...and his foster siblings" part?. Am I totally missing them, or are they not there?

Please excuse the mess, here - I'm not familiar with this quote structure.

The difference in the two shows is evident by certain, very minute aspects that Alex Ross aped quite perfectly. If you zoom in on the Filmation version, you see that Cap's head is a bit skinny. On the "Kid Super Power Hour" one, the dead giveaway is the way the boots are rendered. Slight differences in style, the angle the characters are flying at, etc., that really key the viewer as to what they're looking at.

And, you know what? You're absolutely correct - in my rush to include every character pictured, I didn't properly delineate the differences. For the current, hooded incarnation, I looked quickly at the three characters on the other side of Dynamo and presumed they were from the current Shazam! Family. But I don't know of a redhead, bearded version from the current group (unless that's supposed to be James Corden from his late night sketch, but I doubt it). Nor one with long, white hair or black hair with a mullet. So I was just glanced at them, presuming those three to be part of his foster family, but that's not them. So that makes 3 more characters to identify.

Any ideas?

Let me know!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian