View Poll Results: The yellow oval around the Bat logo should...

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...be retained as part of Batman's history.

58 93.55%
  • ...excised from continuity.

4 6.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Should the yellow-oval uniform remain a part of Batman's in-story history?

As the decades have rolled on, the yellow logo around the Bat emblem on the chest of Batman's costume has fallen in and out of favor. During the past twenty years or so, it has definitely fallen out of favor (after having been in favor for the preceding thirty years). It's seldom referenced in the comics or other media today, unless the story in question calls specifically for nostalgia associated with that era.

It seems, however, that some writers and artists have sought to excise the yellow oval from Batman's in-story history, as even when they flash back to earlier periods of his career when he was known to have worn it, they have chosen to depict Batman's costume without the yellow oval. Perhaps the most egregious example of this is in newer reprintings of Alan Moore's BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, which featured Batman in the yellow oval in its original 1980s and 1990s printings, but have removed the oval for more recent printings.

So what's your opinion? Should the yellow oval remain in continuity or be excised?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I like it, and I liked the original Rebirth costume that kinda paid homage to it with the yellow outline. And it make sense with the explanation that the symbol is a decoy, where his armor is thicker. A big yellow target.

I kinda miss it. ��

"be retained as part of Batman's history"? No. It should be part of his costume now.

Incredible Member

Should def be retained. The suit Batman wears in the Earth 1 is perfect and it features the oval.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    "be retained as part of Batman's history"? No. It should be part of his costume now.
    I agree, but it fell out of favor at the turn of the century, and attempts to revive it since just haven't stuck. Moreover, there seems to be a camp of writers and artists who seem intent on removing it from history as well.

Retired

When the three issue THE UNTOLD LEGEND OF THE BATMAN came out in 1980, the flashbacks of Bruce's early career showed him already having the yellow oval. Editor Paul Levitz explained that he thought showing Batman without the oval would confuse readers.

To me that was ridiculous--for years and years, ever since the yellow spot was introduced, the comics constantly referred back to adventures when Batman had just the bat on his chest. Now that Julius Schwartz was gone, Levitz decided this was too confusing?

I've always liked it when changes in the look are made part of the ongoing chronology. For instance, Hal's Green Lantern costume didn't cover his shoulders initially and flashback stories would always make sure to include that detail. Green Arrow would have no beard and his old red and green outfit in times past tales. Robin the Boy Wonder would have the two curls over his forehead when they recounted his early days.

It isn't just the yellow spot that's been removed from Batman's outfit in recent years. His look has been changed several times over--but each of these changes is associated with a particular phase in his career. And it's not such a bad thing to have different looks for different time periods. It gives us an easy reference point.

If whatever current redesign is supposed to have always existed from day one, then there's no sense of the character having any history.

YES! They should bring it back, especially his movie inspired costume he wore in the mid 90's.

Astonishing Member

Absolutely. I miss the oval.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't see why not. It's like having your own mini bat signal but bulletproof and knife proof. I wish it can actually turn into a bat signal too so Batman can just puff out his chest and it beams out for an SOS or a large flashlight

Batman Inc has a nice, big, chunky symbol I love it

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I greatly prefer the look of the Black Bat symbol (in fact, it is the one I chose as my first tattoo).

That said, I have no problem with the yellow oval. I grew up on it. And I always liked the in-universe explanation that it drew the attention and aim (of the knife/gun) towards the most armored part of his costume.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

From the Bronze Age until the end of the century, the yellow oval was also good visual shorthand for immediately knowing when a story was set. If Batman wore a costume with the black bat and no oval, it took place very early in his career...before he took on Dick Grayson as Robin. The yellow oval came into play shortly after Dick became Robin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    From the Bronze Age until the end of the century, the yellow oval was also good visual shorthand for immediately knowing when a story was set. If Batman wore a costume with the black bat and no oval, it took place very early in his career...before he took on Dick Grayson as Robin. The yellow oval came into play shortly after Dick became Robin.

Funnily enough, it serves the opposite purpose now. If you see Batman in a suit with the yellow oval, you know its set in the past, during a more 'classic' era. Its the Year One suit which is now associated with the present-day.

I loved how 'Tec # 1000 heavily featured the classic Neal Adams designed suit with the yellow oval.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Funnily enough, it serves the opposite purpose now. If you see Batman in a suit with the yellow oval, you know its set in the past, during a more 'classic' era. Its the Year One suit which is now associated with the present-day.

I loved how 'Tec # 1000 heavily featured the classic Neal Adams designed suit with the yellow oval.
    Yep. It's all upended. For decades, Batman with short ears and no yellow oval was during the first few years of his career. Batman with long ears and yellow oval meant he was well into his career. It's not so simple anymore.