View Poll Results: The yellow oval around the Bat logo should...

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...be retained as part of Batman's history.

58 93.55%
  • ...excised from continuity.

4 6.45%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Should the yellow-oval uniform remain a part of Batman's in-story history?

As the decades have rolled on, the yellow logo around the Bat emblem on the chest of Batman's costume has fallen in and out of favor. During the past twenty years or so, it has definitely fallen out of favor (after having been in favor for the preceding thirty years). It's seldom referenced in the comics or other media today, unless the story in question calls specifically for nostalgia associated with that era.

It seems, however, that some writers and artists have sought to excise the yellow oval from Batman's in-story history, as even when they flash back to earlier periods of his career when he was known to have worn it, they have chosen to depict Batman's costume without the yellow oval. Perhaps the most egregious example of this is in newer reprintings of Alan Moore's BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, which featured Batman in the yellow oval in its original 1980s and 1990s printings, but have removed the oval for more recent printings.

So what's your opinion? Should the yellow oval remain in continuity or be excised?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I like it, and I liked the original Rebirth costume that kinda paid homage to it with the yellow outline. And it make sense with the explanation that the symbol is a decoy, where his armor is thicker. A big yellow target.

I kinda miss it. ��

"be retained as part of Batman's history"? No. It should be part of his costume now.

Incredible Member

Should def be retained. The suit Batman wears in the Earth 1 is perfect and it features the oval.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    "be retained as part of Batman's history"? No. It should be part of his costume now.
    I agree, but it fell out of favor at the turn of the century, and attempts to revive it since just haven't stuck. Moreover, there seems to be a camp of writers and artists who seem intent on removing it from history as well.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

When the three issue THE UNTOLD LEGEND OF THE BATMAN came out in 1980, the flashbacks of Bruce's early career showed him already having the yellow oval. Editor Paul Levitz explained that he thought showing Batman without the oval would confuse readers.

To me that was ridiculous--for years and years, ever since the yellow spot was introduced, the comics constantly referred back to adventures when Batman had just the bat on his chest. Now that Julius Schwartz was gone, Levitz decided this was too confusing?

I've always liked it when changes in the look are made part of the ongoing chronology. For instance, Hal's Green Lantern costume didn't cover his shoulders initially and flashback stories would always make sure to include that detail. Green Arrow would have no beard and his old red and green outfit in times past tales. Robin the Boy Wonder would have the two curls over his forehead when they recounted his early days.

It isn't just the yellow spot that's been removed from Batman's outfit in recent years. His look has been changed several times over--but each of these changes is associated with a particular phase in his career. And it's not such a bad thing to have different looks for different time periods. It gives us an easy reference point.

If whatever current redesign is supposed to have always existed from day one, then there's no sense of the character having any history.

This will forever be my one true Batman. It's the costume that he wore for the longest. I've seen it described as the '70's costume' but he wore it from the late 50's to after Zero hour in the 90's. Four SOLID decades of Blue/Grey/Oval... THIS is Batman. Nothing else has stuck for long. It's always getting tweaked, changed, altered or redesigned. batman-dc-comics-style-guide.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I find the pouch utility belt much more stupid and yet people seem to be fine with that. I get the pouch utility belt as a prototype--as we saw it in Year One and in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT--but it makes sense that Batman developed the belt and so we got the capsule belt where he used advanced tech to miniaturize things and compact everything into a smaller more utiliarian belt. I really liked the way Norm Breyfogle drew that belt. If Bruce changed it--you'd think he'd create an even better belt not go back to something that's clunky and less form fitting. But the reason we got that belt back was for the pure aesthetic look--some people liked this old school looking belt and forced it into the comics, even though it didn't make sense for where Batman was at that point. Yet the same people who are against a yellow oval "because it's stupid" are just fine with the yellow, cumbersome pouch belt.
    I am torn on the utility belt. Like I said, Classic Batman is MY batman and I love the tubes. However, I can see the logic in having the pouches. All of his gear may be miniaturized... but the clues he picks up on the crime scenes aren't. So pouches are something I've learned to live with... but yeah, I do prefer the classic suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I agree, but it fell out of favor at the turn of the century, and attempts to revive it since just haven't stuck. Moreover, there seems to be a camp of writers and artists who seem intent on removing it from history as well.
    I'm totally against ANY of the costumes being removed from History. It's stupid and annoying. I don't care what modern sensabilities are, If you can't take history and build on it... then you shouldn't be in this kind of sequential story telling. This goes with both Batman costumes AND Robin's. You may not like it... you may have a hard time accepting it... but the black cape started with Tim, and Dick and Jason liked the pixie boots and shorts. It is what it is. change things going forward... but don't pretend they never existed.

NOTE: This thread was started in June of 2019.
    -------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Should the yellow-oval uniform remain a part of Batman's in-story history?
    With 53 people having voted,
    The yellow oval around the Bat logo should...
    * ...be retained as part of Batman's history = 50 votes
    * ...excised from continuity = 3 votes

Astonishing Member

Funny that this old thread should come up again, considering that Joshua Williamson's new run is bringing the yellow oval back again!

I do get a feeling the oval will be getting some love over the next year or so...especially since Keaton's Batman is going to be sporting it in Flashpoint next year as well.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well it is part of history now

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Funny that this old thread should come up again, considering that Joshua Williamson's new run is bringing the yellow oval back again!

I do get a feeling the oval will be getting some love over the next year or so...especially since Keaton's Batman is going to be sporting it in Flashpoint next year as well.
    Actually, that looks more like the Batman Inc. version
    as opposed to the traditional yellow oval (which first appeared in 1964).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, that looks more like the Batman Inc. version
    as opposed to the traditional yellow oval (which first appeared in 1964).
    Yeah...my point was that the yellow oval is back. And its great that it's being incorporated into more modern designs!

The oval is fine. The only costume element that needs to be excised from the continuity is the same one they needed to excise decades ago - the dark undies. But the yellow oval I like.

Retired

I find the pouch utility belt much more stupid and yet people seem to be fine with that. I get the pouch utility belt as a prototype--as we saw it in Year One and in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT--but it makes sense that Batman developed the belt and so we got the capsule belt where he used advanced tech to miniaturize things and compact everything into a smaller more utiliarian belt. I really liked the way Norm Breyfogle drew that belt. If Bruce changed it--you'd think he'd create an even better belt not go back to something that's clunky and less form fitting. But the reason we got that belt back was for the pure aesthetic look--some people liked this old school looking belt and forced it into the comics, even though it didn't make sense for where Batman was at that point. Yet the same people who are against a yellow oval "because it's stupid" are just fine with the yellow, cumbersome pouch belt.