View Poll Results: The yellow oval around the Bat logo should...

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...be retained as part of Batman's history.

58 93.55%
  • ...excised from continuity.

4 6.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The yellow oval, and it's call-out to the bat-signal, are as iconic to Batman's uniform in my mind, as the red shorts are to many Superman fans.
    Batman - Daredevil

Not only retained, but brought back as a primary costume element now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

to me the yellow oval is integral to Batman's look. I don't really mind the Year One or Hush looks, I think it looks better when the bat itself is huge, when it's small it just looks like the yellow oval is missing. the yellow oval is important to me because I see it as so many things, the bat that crashes through Bruce's window, or just the symbol of the dark figure of the bat extending its wings to guard the light. there is symbolism in a lot of Batman's different costumes and I see the yellow oval as a sign of growth and maturity as opposed to just lighter-hearted stories.

I don't mind it. My first exposure to Batman was B:TAS.

However I don't think that it should be considered an obligatory part of his costume, like the trunks (for him and Superman).

Superheroes need to be updated from time to time, that's why New 52 has my favorite cowl for Batman (even if early Rebirth was also great).

Nah. It looks silly - and regardless of what Frank Miller said in TDKR, it's a really stupid idea to stick a bright target that close to your exposed chin.

I don't mind too much if they keep it as part of history, but really I'd prefer it to be forgotten.

Retired

Back in the day, when I was serious-minded about Batman and thought his costume needed to be more tactical, I thought why does it have to be yellow? The argument seems to always be over whether Batman should have just a bat symbol or a bat symbol inside a yellow oval. If the argument is that the yellow calls attention to his chest, then just put a black line around the bat but colour the oval the same as the rest of his costume. Likewise, Batman doesn't need to have a yellow utitility belt, it can be grey or blue. The main reason for putting a circle around the bat was so they could trademark it--but the trademark holds up no matter colour.

Fantastic Member

The Yellow Oval is a far more iconic symbol than the current one, and its a shame that Batman isn't sporting it now.

Also, It's a bit silly to find a Yellow oval a problem, while ignoring the giant yellow belt he's consistently worn for 80 years.

It should be retained as part of the history and should be on his costume right now. Batman is a badass, he doesn't hide from criminals using a camouflaged costume that entirely blends in, he should wear the symbol proud so when villains see it they feel fear.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

It definitely should be retained. The Yellow Symbol is more Organic for me

- When I think Batman, Keaton's Version immediately comes to mind first. I was 11 when I first saw that movie and remember everybody at the mall wearing a Batman shirt at the time.

- Dark Knight, Dark City and Son of Demon were my favorite Batman Stories of all time

- Always looked forward to watching Batman Adventures growing up

Retired

I find the pouch utility belt much more stupid and yet people seem to be fine with that. I get the pouch utility belt as a prototype--as we saw it in Year One and in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT--but it makes sense that Batman developed the belt and so we got the capsule belt where he used advanced tech to miniaturize things and compact everything into a smaller more utiliarian belt. I really liked the way Norm Breyfogle drew that belt. If Bruce changed it--you'd think he'd create an even better belt not go back to something that's clunky and less form fitting. But the reason we got that belt back was for the pure aesthetic look--some people liked this old school looking belt and forced it into the comics, even though it didn't make sense for where Batman was at that point. Yet the same people who are against a yellow oval "because it's stupid" are just fine with the yellow, cumbersome pouch belt.

BANNED

They should also bring in back.
    It is a nice break from that monotonous grey-black.

This will forever be my one true Batman. It's the costume that he wore for the longest. I've seen it described as the '70's costume' but he wore it from the late 50's to after Zero hour in the 90's. Four SOLID decades of Blue/Grey/Oval... THIS is Batman. Nothing else has stuck for long. It's always getting tweaked, changed, altered or redesigned. batman-dc-comics-style-guide.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I find the pouch utility belt much more stupid and yet people seem to be fine with that. I get the pouch utility belt as a prototype--as we saw it in Year One and in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT--but it makes sense that Batman developed the belt and so we got the capsule belt where he used advanced tech to miniaturize things and compact everything into a smaller more utiliarian belt. I really liked the way Norm Breyfogle drew that belt. If Bruce changed it--you'd think he'd create an even better belt not go back to something that's clunky and less form fitting. But the reason we got that belt back was for the pure aesthetic look--some people liked this old school looking belt and forced it into the comics, even though it didn't make sense for where Batman was at that point. Yet the same people who are against a yellow oval "because it's stupid" are just fine with the yellow, cumbersome pouch belt.
    I am torn on the utility belt. Like I said, Classic Batman is MY batman and I love the tubes. However, I can see the logic in having the pouches. All of his gear may be miniaturized... but the clues he picks up on the crime scenes aren't. So pouches are something I've learned to live with... but yeah, I do prefer the classic suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I agree, but it fell out of favor at the turn of the century, and attempts to revive it since just haven't stuck. Moreover, there seems to be a camp of writers and artists who seem intent on removing it from history as well.
    I'm totally against ANY of the costumes being removed from History. It's stupid and annoying. I don't care what modern sensabilities are, If you can't take history and build on it... then you shouldn't be in this kind of sequential story telling. This goes with both Batman costumes AND Robin's. You may not like it... you may have a hard time accepting it... but the black cape started with Tim, and Dick and Jason liked the pixie boots and shorts. It is what it is. change things going forward... but don't pretend they never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I greatly prefer the look of the Black Bat symbol (in fact, it is the one I chose as my first tattoo).

That said, I have no problem with the yellow oval. I grew up on it. And I always liked the in-universe explanation that it drew the attention and aim (of the knife/gun) towards the most armored part of his costume.
    Ah, also my first tattoo, haha

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This will forever be my one true Batman. It's the costume that he wore for the longest. I've seen it described as the '70's costume' but he wore it from the late 50's to after Zero hour in the 90's. Four SOLID decades of Blue/Grey/Oval... THIS is Batman. Nothing else has stuck for long. It's always getting tweaked, changed, altered or redesigned. batman-dc-comics-style-guide.jpg
    The Oval was around from 1964-2000, that's only 36 years. It returned in Morrison's run, but was concurrent with the black bat symbol.

That leaves 44 years of Batman's 80 with the black bat.

Symbol aside, the overall costume was pretty much the same from the start until the early to mid-00's.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    Ah, also my first tattoo, haha
    My man! *fistbump*
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!