Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    That is not what I mean and not the point I am going for. It's not about pantheons or even being a God. She would be a threat to more than just Superman, as many rogues are.
    Then you completely missed the point of this entire thread.

This is about appreciation for Superman's specific rogues gallery, where the villains have their biggest mad-on for the Last Son.

You want his rogues fighting other heroes, this ain't the appreciation thread for that notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Uh... Satanus would actually be the bigger character, with more appearances and a stronger tie to Superman through Thornton. He also has the potential benefit of absorbing the pre crisis Satanis into himself. Blaze has arguably the better design and a novelty of being a female villain, but taking out Jerry White is out of canon so that's really it for her.

Both could use better names but it's hard to do that and not have it look like a new character. Might as well make a new one.
    Exactly how big a deal is Satanus's alter ego Thornton? Nothing that Blaze couldn't absorb and transform into "Angelica Thornton".

Would "Lady Blaze Satanus" aka "Angelica Thornton" be a good way to merge the two while emphasizing the female aspect?

Name your top 5 Superman-
    specific rogues who absolutely need some TLC in the hands of a capable writer:

Mine:

5. Maxima
    4. Parasite
    3. Metallo
    2. Mongul
    1. Faora (the sociopathic lone, not Zod's associate)

Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Exactly how big a deal is Satanus's alter ego Thornton? Nothing that Blaze couldn't absorb and transform into "Angelica Thornton".

Would "Lady Blaze Satanus" aka "Angelica Thornton" be a good way to merge the two while emphasizing the female aspect?
    I think that would work, but I'd rather leave both villains as they are, and just give them some TLC. A sibling duo of demon lords is a pretty cool idea and it helps set them apart from other demons like Neron, Trigon, etc.

Name your top 5 Superman-
    specific rogues who absolutely need some TLC in the hands of a capable writer:

Mine:

5. Maxima
    4. Parasite
    3. Metallo
    2. Mongul
    1. Faora (the sociopathic lone, not Zod's associate)

Yours?
    1. Metallo. He's got a solid archetype, a solid design, and a cool hook with the kryptonite heart and his hate/rivalry with Lex. But he's never been anything more than an also-ran villain who's known primarily just because he's persistent.
    2. Parasite. Same with Metallo; this dude could and should be a major player, but he lacks defining stories to elevate him.
    3. Silver Banshee. This villain has been around for a while but has never seemed to find a niche within the Super-verse to call her own. She's tightly tied to Irish folklore and myth, and I feel like maybe there's an avenue to compare that with Krypton's mythology maybe, but no one has figured out a solid angle for her.
    4. Solaris the Tyrant Sun. He's had two stories. That's it! And they were both amazing (DC 1 Million and All-Star). Does Morrison own this villain? Is that the reason no one else will touch him? Because Solaris is probably the coolest Super rogue to debut in the last twenty-thirty years. Shame he's not getting more (any) use.
    5. Livewire. I think there's a lot of potential here. Her shock jock thing compares well with Clark's more traditional, "just the facts" journalism, and Livewire helps give voice to the people who don't adore Superman and that can open doors for a lot of different stories. But no one really seems to know how she fits into the mythos and tend to use her as a Supergirl villain.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

1: Blackrock, Wasn't very interesting until the New Earth version added the twist that the Blackrock is an alien life form that bonds with people. That made for a REALLY interesting villain.

2: Metallo's main problem is that he's a super-mook. But having him as a heavy hitter in a villain team would work well. Which he's done, more than once IIRC.

3: Parasite is also weird because while he's VERY dangerous, you have to figure out why he's here...

4: Assorted other Kryptonians. I LOVE stories where Superman has to deal with other Kryptonians. Zod, Ursa, Non, Car-Vex, Faora, Hu-Ul, Nadira Va-Dim, Az-Rel.... It's a LONG list, most of them minor characters who we barely got to meet.

5: Livewire, Also, since Livewire's not exactly a hardcore villain, having her sometimes help people when it suits her is fine.

Let's look at the evil / antagonist Kryptonians, usually in the Phantom Zone.

How many have there been for Superman to fight?

Dru-Zod, Ursa, Lor-Zod, Non, Faora, Nam-Ek, Jax-Ur, Car-Vex, Xa-Du, Cythonna, etc.

What distinguishes them from each other?

Is this a vast untapped treasure trove of villainy?

Or is this more the Ninja paradox, where 1 Ninja is high- unstoppable to the hero, but 100 ninjas are just fodder to the hero?

Then you completely missed the point of this entire thread.
    Um actually, I think you just misinterpreted what my meaning is.
    Also, you can respect a character's rogues and want to see them fighting others. It's probably more respectful to say that they would make for interesting stories outside of where they are traditionally.

Let's look at the evil / antagonist Kryptonians, usually in the Phantom Zone.

How many have there been for Superman to fight?

Dru-Zod, Ursa, Lor-Zod, Non, Faora, Nam-Ek, Jax-Ur, Car-Vex, Xa-Du, Cythonna, etc.

What distinguishes them from each other?

Is this a vast untapped treasure trove of villainy?

Or is this more the Ninja paradox, where 1 Ninja is high- unstoppable to the hero, but 100 ninjas are just fodder to the hero?
    Actually Superman never fought Car-Vex. I'm not sure he even MET her. The point is that they don't have the same goals and motives. Car-Vex's death... while at the end of a brutal massacre, was kinda like a heroic sacrifice. She's nominally a villain, thus why she chose to rip apart General Lane's men like they were cardboard standees, but she died trying to save other Kryptonians.

Mighty Member

I really like Intergang.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I really like Intergang.
    Intergang is great, even vital to the Superverse mythos, IMHO. Metropolis shouldn't become a complete utopia after Superman's arrival. Organized crime would adapt and evolve. Not all, or even most, criminals become supervillains.

If there was a way to remove Darkseid and the Fourth World from Intergang (replace with Mongul and Warworld as the supplier?), it would be perfect.

Still hoping the “Invisible War” coming in Action Comics will involve the Invisible Mafia vs Intergang.

Intergang is great, even vital to the Superverse mythos, IMHO. Metropolis shouldn't become a complete utopia after Superman's arrival. Organized crime would adapt and evolve. Not all, or even most, criminals become supervillains.

If there was a way to remove Darkseid and the Fourth World from Intergang (replace with Mongul and Warworld as the supplier?), it would be perfect.
    Intergang works as a concept even if it's Lexcorp weaponry IMO.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Intergang works as a concept even if it's Lexcorp weaponry IMO.
    They can have multiple sources of weaponry.

I like the white collar crime aspect of them. It interesting and I think that sort of criminal suits Superman and Metropolis more than street crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    They can have multiple sources of weaponry.
    quite true
    I like the white collar crime aspect of them. It interesting and I think that sort of criminal suits Superman and Metropolis more than street crime.
    Yeah, "petty theft" is just so.... mundane. You have cops in power-armor, and hover-cars, crime needs to be interesting.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    1: Blackrock, Wasn't very interesting until the New Earth version added the twist that the Blackrock is an alien life form that bonds with people. That made for a REALLY interesting villain.

2: Metallo's main problem is that he's a super-mook. But having him as a heavy hitter in a villain team would work well. Which he's done, more than once IIRC.

3: Parasite is also weird because while he's VERY dangerous, you have to figure out why he's here...

4: Assorted other Kryptonians. I LOVE stories where Superman has to deal with other Kryptonians. Zod, Ursa, Non, Car-Vex, Faora, Hu-Ul, Nadira Va-Dim, Az-Rel.... It's a LONG list, most of them minor characters who we barely got to meet.

5: Livewire, Also, since Livewire's not exactly a hardcore villain, having her sometimes help people when it suits her is fine.
    Why does every female villain that gets any name recognition, have to be an antihero? I don’t see any reason to make Livewire an antihero.