Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

This has to be his default look going forward.
    I'd probably think he was Gar at first glance (with no context) for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'd probably think he was Gar at first glance (with no context) for a while.
    Not a concern.

If you know Beast Boy, then you know he can only become real animals. Not mythological or fictional ones. And not giant versions of real ones.

There's a huge difference between a talking and joking 7-foot green-furred Gorilla and a roaring non-verbal 50-ft to 350 ft glowing green Gorilla.

Titano can be green and no one would seriously mistake him for Beast Boy, either in-story or among the readership.

Going back to Imperiex for a moment ...

The solution to keep him a recurring enemy is simple: either a) keep him at universe- busting levels but render him a necessary cosmic force beyond good or evil (Galactus) or b) keep him malevolent but ratchet down his power to mere Galaxy- buster (Marvel's classic Odin).

And turning Maxima into a super-villain version of Cersei Lannister from GAME OF THRONES is .... a great idea.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-30-2019 at 06:40 AM.

If you know Beast Boy, then you know he can only become real animals. Not mythological or fictional ones. And not giant versions of real ones.
    He was some sort of sea serpent at least once pre-crisis, IIRC. After being healed on Paradise Island?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Where underrated goes I don't think Parasite, Nam Ek, Kryptonite Man/Kid, Faora, Amalak, Jack Nimball, or the original Revenge Squad get the proper recognition. Parasite is imo the overall best after Lex and Vril. That super ape mentioned earlier looks hilarious but Nam Ek is a more workable version of a similar idea. Zhavam and Annilhilator are great consecutive villains lost to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, I know. And I agree; that's a concept best used once. But that's my question; Imperiex had *one* story, and *should* only have one story. So does he actually deserve to be included in the rogues gallery? We don't usually rank one-timers in that list.
    Huge power levels shouldn't be a deterrent. If Superman is a creation that will go past 80 years, instead of cutting off roads I think the fun is seeing how they keep the dice rolling. Come up with a clever way to run it back against an insanely powerful villain, like the FF does with Galactus every so often.

I don't like villains reoccurring in general because it makes Superman look less effective. I think 80 percent of conflicts should be one timers who get stopped and ideally rehabilitated, but a clever writer can bring back anyone who isn't guaranteed to inflict massive casualties.

You mentioned the classic Maxima and I think the biggest problem was ultimately having a female villain with such might that it's sort of forced to dance around Superman beating her up. Personally I think it's sort of fair game, a woman who can lift an ocean liner is as dangerous as a man who can lift an ocean liner, but the slugfest is not a good look.

As for Lobo... he's a great choice. He's that Johns villain type that everyone likes, where he can come back for a high concept low consequence song and dance to chew up pages.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Huge power levels shouldn't be a deterrent. If Superman is a creation that will go past 80 years, instead of cutting off roads I think the fun is seeing how they keep the dice rolling. Come up with a clever way to run it back against an insanely powerful villain, like the FF does with Galactus every so often.
    IF it can be done right, absolutely. I wouldn't be against seeing Imperiex re-constitute himself after being atomized across the universe.

But that's a slippery slope. Just look at Galactus; he's gotten his ass beat on earth dozens of times. He's still a big deal, sure, but do readers sh*t their pants when he shows up anymore? I feel like he's been played out and I'd rather not see Imperiex fall under the same curse. We've already got villains like Doomsday and Bane who will never top their debut stories, no need to add Imperiex to that list.

But IF it can be done well? Sure, sign me up!

You mentioned the classic Maxima and I think the biggest problem was ultimately having a female villain with such might that it's sort of forced to dance around Superman beating her up. Personally I think it's sort of fair game, a woman who can lift an ocean liner is as dangerous as a man who can lift an ocean liner, but the slugfest is not a good look.
    I think that's a real big part of it. No one is comfortable with a male hero physically fighting a female villain. Of course, this isn't domestic violence, this is stopping a criminal who just happens to be female, so I think it's still fair game. Especially in Maxima's case where she's an actual challenge for Clark, more so than a lot of male villains.

But even if that weren't a consideration, I still think Maxima offers more when her appearances don't necessarily mean things will end up in a fight.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    He was some sort of sea serpent at least once pre-crisis, IIRC. After being healed on Paradise Island?
    Yes, In New Teen Titans run beast boy become a serpent and later in Titans run he could become like this( After a machine damaged his mind IIRC)
    The New Titans (1984-1996) 115-023.jpg
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

TBH, I personally like like LEX, Cyborg Superman( Before Johns), Brainiac this kinda villains, They have more clearly "Anti-Superman" element, I mean sure Imperiex or Doomsday certainly is a extremely threat to Supes but they become a threat motives are come from them nature( Imperiex wants destroy universe or Doomsday wants kill somebody all just because they needs to be so). Unlike Lex, His crimes all come from his own decisions and chooses, They have clearly hate toward to Superman
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

I really like Mr Mxy. He's a really fun villain that offers really wild and imaginative scenarios. The Genie from Aladdin and Q from Star Trek have proved that an all powerful being like this can work for many audiences. He is more powerful than Superman, so the only way to beat him is with intelligence.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

IF it can be done right, absolutely. I wouldn't be against seeing Imperiex re-constitute himself after being atomized across the universe.

But that's a slippery slope. Just look at Galactus; he's gotten his ass beat on earth dozens of times. He's still a big deal, sure, but do readers sh*t their pants when he shows up anymore? I feel like he's been played out and I'd rather not see Imperiex fall under the same curse. We've already got villains like Doomsday and Bane who will never top their debut stories, no need to add Imperiex to that list.

But IF it can be done well? Sure, sign me up!
    The Legion of Superheroes show scaled Imperiex down a lot and still kept him as a credible threat. This version is quite entertaining to watch as well. Considering how Galactus, the Anti-Monitor and Trigon have been turned in to giant jobbers. A scaled down but threatening villain could work for Supes. Or he could work for one of Supes' villains. In the Legion cartoon, Imperiex was a hunger dog, turned tyrant through war and cyber conversion.

He's got a bit of a Kalibak vibe going on there.

I had heard they used Imperiex in that show, never saw an episode though. Who's the future Superman with the black-green eyes?

Cant say I like the idea of powering down Imperiex so he can show up more often. What's the point of having a Galactus stand-in if he's not at Galactus power levels?

But you know what could be a solid compromise? Those drones he had; the little mini versions of himself? One of those was enough to give Clark a serious fight; so serious in fact that Clark at first believed he had defeated the actual threat......so maybe you could use those. You keep Imperiex out of the action and story until you're ready to do something *truly* big with him, but his drones can show up for "smaller" stories.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I really like Mr Mxy. He's a really fun villain that offers really wild and imaginative scenarios. The Genie from Aladdin and Q from Star Trek have proved that an all powerful being like this can work for many audiences. He is more powerful than Superman, so the only way to beat him is with intelligence.
    Mxy is such a brilliant character. I wish I knew about comics outside of Superman enough to really get what he meant back when he was created.

But I wish Justice League didn't go back to having his name as a functional weakness. That goes back to the contrivances like the mounds of kryptonite randomly
    hidden everywhere so that Superman is incapacitated during the story. It means that of the four words that best describe him (mischievous, unpredictable, powerful, and chaotic) only one applies across circumstances. True, how you get him to say it is a creative challenge, but it sets up a story where you already know the outcome. It's easy to see some writer having a character quickly dispatch him to show that they're hip to the game.

If any Silver Age characters looked perfect, I'd say one was Captain America and the other was Mxy.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

He's got a bit of a Kalibak vibe going on there.

I had heard they used Imperiex in that show, never saw an episode though. Who's the future Superman with the black-green eyes?

Cant say I like the idea of powering down Imperiex so he can show up more often. What's the point of having a Galactus stand-in if he's not at Galactus power levels?

But you know what could be a solid compromise? Those drones he had; the little mini versions of himself? One of those was enough to give Clark a serious fight; so serious in fact that Clark at first believed he had defeated the actual threat......so maybe you could use those. You keep Imperiex out of the action and story until you're ready to do something *truly* big with him, but his drones can show up for "smaller" stories.
    Never thought of him being similar to Kalibak. I could see it though. LOSH Imp reminds me more of Blastaar or Terrax.

The future Superman is Kell-El/Superman X. A 41st century clone with kryptonite laced DNA. Providing immunity and projectile crystals.

I always took the Anti-Monitor to be “the” Galactus stand in. Nuking a universe can only be done once.

Here is Imp’s origins in the LOSH show.

Astonishing Member

People try to break down rogues galleries into one thing and use that as a way to say something about the hero. Like Batman's villains all being criminally insane because Batman himself is troubled and channels it toward good. Or Flash's enemies being crooks with super-gadgets because he's both a police officer and a scientist. Superman's villains can't be broken down that way (I once heard someone say something about Superman's villains all being world-beaters and I was like "Since when is the Prankster a world-beater?). Superman is the ultimate generalist when it comes to superheroes. He helps whoever needs helping and fights whoever needs fighting. His rogues gallery reflects that. It's got mad scientists. It's got alien invaders. It's got super-science villains. It's got gimmicky crooks. On occasion he even fights some supernatural types. It kind of makes sense when you consider he's the prototype superhero, though.

This brings up something I've wondered about:

Has Superman's rogues gallery ever had a high-profile showcase like Batman's had with 2002-2003's "Hush" by Loeb and Lee?

If not, then that's something that should be done for Superman.

I want a great and popular artist for the tale, getting their take on each of the classics, one issue per each one:

Personally, and I know this pick will not resonate with a lot of you, my first choice (and a probably-impossible get) would be ...

Todd McFarlane.

Man, I'd love to see Spawn's creator take on Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Zod/Ursa, Mongul, Doomsday, Bizarro, Mxyzptlk, Metallo/Cyborg Superman, Parasite, Cythonna/Blaze, Toyman, Maxima, etc over the course of a dozen issues.

Never gonna happen, but one can dream ...

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Even though Vandal Savage began as JSA villain, he truly made his mark as an adversary for Superman during the Bronze Age when Marv Wolfman used him for his run on Action Comics when DC rejected his plan to make Lex Luthor a business tycoon the first time he suggested the idea.

This gave Superman a villain he couldn't really defeat in his usual manner due to how Savage manipulated the citizens of Earth 1 that he was on the level, to the point he turned the entire world against Superman.

Last edited by BBally; 07-06-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark