Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman's rogues gallery appreciation

Superman's rogues gallery is vastly underrated. So let's begin to change that perception here.

It's been often said that his rogues gallery is far behind Batman's, Spider-Man's, and The Flash's, to name a few.

Baloney, I say!

Lex Luthor. Brainiac. Zod. Mongul. Doomsday. Mxyzptlk. Bizarro. Metallo. Maxima. The Cyborg Superman. The Parasite. Lady Blaze. The Toyman. Livewire. Dominus. The Prankster. The Silver Banshee. Titano. Manchester Black. Cythonna. Ultraman. Imperiex. Solaris. Xa-Du. The Kryptonite Man. The Eradicator. Terra-Man. Bruno Mannheim.

Heck, I'm not even counting the henches, like Mercy Graves, Ursa, Non, Jax-Ur, Thaddeus Kilgrave, or the utter duds like Nuclear Man and ,uh, Rogol Zaar.

Even if you don't count Darkseid and his Elite (which is fair, as they are not actually Superman-specific villains), that's still a hell of a rogue's gallery. Easily a top 2 in the DCU.

And there's a whole bunch I haven't mentioned yet.

These bad folks need some love.

Give it up for them!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-24-2019 at 07:46 PM.

I agree. Supes has my faves villians.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Bring back Imperiex. He doesn't have to be the universe buster he was in OWAW. But a titan who can trade blows with Supes and provide a challenge, would be enough.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-27-2019 at 03:28 AM.

I'm fascinated by Cythonna.

Has she appeared in anything besides that 1990s LAST GOD OF KRYPTON story?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Bring back Imperiex. He doesn't have to be the universe bustier he was in OWAW. But a titan who can trade blows with Supes and provide a challenge, would be enough.

I loved Imperiax in the LoSH cartoon.

Love this group of edgelords, especially Manchester.
    6990EA3C-BBC9-4F7D-85D1-634F7EC5C797.jpg

You know who could be great?

Titano.

A giant radioactive gorilla with kryptonite vision?

Titano should be end result of what would happen if King Kong married Godzilla*.

Although he should probably have different colored hair to distinguish him more from other famous apes.

Wasn't there ANOTHER super-gorilla from Pre-Crisis times? The name totally escapes me, but he was far more powerful than Titano.

* - Hey, Pre-Crisis Superdickery Kal loved officiating marriages between gorillas and non-gorillas, so ... there's a good joke there somewhere ...
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-29-2019 at 03:41 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Are you talking about the Ultra Humanite? I think his albino gorilla form is pretty memorable.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Are you talking about the Ultra Humanite? I think his albino gorilla form is pretty memorable.
    So much so that it’s become his default form. I think most people have forgotten he used to switch bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    No, I found out who it was:

King Krypton.

A talking gorilla from pre-COIE Kal's homeworld.

Turns out he was a Kryptonian scientist transformed to an ape on Krypton, and sent out into space. Exposure to green kryptonite reverted him back to human, but killed him as well.

Yeah, re-reading that last paragraph is too much silliness even for me.

Titano >>>>> King Krypton

Titano is criminally underused.

Actually, most of Clark's rogues are underused, outside of the big ones everybody keeps going back to, like Lex, Brainiac, and Zod. I think that's why people say the rogues gallery is thin, because there are some incredible villains in that roster.....they just rarely get used, and when they do pop up, it's usually for little more than a brief cameo. I mean, when was the last time we saw Maxima show up to bother Clark? And Imperiex was literally just one storyline (a big, long storyline, but still just one story).

Of course, I'd like to see Maxima handled as more of a....not an anti-hero, but a unreliable ally. Maxima actually has some pretty noble goals; she's just trying to do what is best for her empire, and her culture makes it hard for her to understand or respect Clark saying "no." Great stuff to work with there. Me, I'd bring her back by having her marry Vartox and invite Superman (and family!) to the wedding.

Can we add Lobo to the list? He's more of a solo star than a rogues gallery member, and he didn't get his start in Superman comics, but I feel like he deserves a spot on the list.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Actually, most of Clark's rogues are underused, outside of the big ones everybody keeps going back to, like Lex, Brainiac, and Zod. I think that's why people say the rogues gallery is thin, because there are some incredible villains in that roster.....they just rarely get used, and when they do pop up, it's usually for little more than a brief cameo. I mean, when was the last time we saw Maxima show up to bother Clark? And Imperiex was literally just one storyline (a big, long storyline, but still just one story).

Of course, I'd like to see Maxima handled as more of a....not an anti-hero, but a unreliable ally. Maxima actually has some pretty noble goals; she's just trying to do what is best for her empire, and her culture makes it hard for her to understand or respect Clark saying "no." Great stuff to work with there. Me, I'd bring her back by having her marry Vartox and invite Superman (and family!) to the wedding.

Can we add Lobo to the list? He's more of a solo star than a rogues gallery member, and he didn't get his start in Superman comics, but I feel like he deserves a spot on the list.

Regarding Imperiex: IIRC, he was supposed to be Superman's personal Cosmic Entity villain: his own Galactus, mixed with some PC Anti-Monitor. That's a hell of a concept, but kinda hard to make a recurring presence without substantially lessening his overall threat level. You couldn't keep him evil AND all-powerful AND recurring: one of those three would have to give.

Regarding Maxima: we could not be further apart on her. I bemoan the dearth of memorable female villains, and I despise the industry's need to turn every worthy female villain into an anti-hero or bad girl with redeeming qualities (while worthy male villains get to stay evil as they should). It's like most writers have a truly difficult time writing a recurring female character as irredeemable as Lex Luthor or the Joker or Darkseid.

I would go the opposite direction: Maxima views Terrestrials the way many of us view ants or bugs: irritating/disgusting things to squish and/or call down extermination upon without even a minor dent in her conscience. She should view Kal as this handsome crazy person who needs professional help because he not only talks to these ants, but he also pretends to be one, and appears to be in love with one of these ants (Lois). Her idea of "help" is to get Supes to see how far beneath him we are, and she will fail over and over again.

Regarding Lobo: dude's a total deliberate parody of toxic masculinity. Of course he should fight Supes. But he 's like Darkseid: an ideal opponent, but not one meant specifically and primarily for Kal, and therefore not a part of "his" rogues gallery. Otherwise we have to start giving Deathstroke to Batman's rogue gallery, and Bruce has more than enough as it is.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-29-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I’m rereading the Johns/Busiek era Superman titles and this really feels like the last time ALL of Superman’s Rogues got lots of attention. Metallo for instance was a big player in this era which he has never really come close to matching since. While I like Red Cloud and the Invisible Mafia I don’t think Bendis has any interest in using Clark’s regular Rogues which is unfortunate but not unexpected. It’s rare that any writer uses guys like Parasite or Metallo in a “big” way. I’m grateful Tomasi at least brought Manchester Black into Rebirth continuity at least.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Is that Doctor Light in the picture - I always thought of him as more a JLA villain.

Actually, most of Clark's rogues are underused, outside of the big ones everybody keeps going back to, like Lex, Brainiac, and Zod.
    I very much agree. We should see more of his villains. I rather like Parasite. But, like so many others, can't recall the last time I saw him used. Not to into old version of Maxima as villain, just in that it's a one-note concept, and not a good note, IMO - if it were purely eugenics, it would be one thing, but with her emotions tied up in it, no. Truthfully haven't read newer version. Yes to Bruno and Metallo. Lobo's never done anything but irritate me.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Regarding Imperiex: IIRC, he was supposed to be Superman's personal Cosmic Entity villain: his own Galactus
    Oh, I know. And I agree; that's a concept best used once. But that's my question; Imperiex had *one* story, and *should* only have one story. So does he actually deserve to be included in the rogues gallery? We don't usually rank one-timers in that list.

Regarding Maxima: we could not be further apart on her. I bemoan the dearth of memorable female villains, and I despise the industry's need to turn every worthy female villain into an anti-hero or bad girl with redeeming qualities (while worthy male villains get to stay evil as they should). It's like most writers have a truly difficult time writing a recurring female character as irredeemable as Lex Luthor or the Joker or Darkseid.
    I agree with not liking this unfortunate trend of "cleaning up" female villains. I feel about Ivy like you feel about Maxima. Maxima gets a pass from me though; she was doing the anti-hero thing long before it was a trend, and even at her best she was hardly heroic. She did heroic things but she was no hero. And I think she offers more outside the rogues gallery; her goals might align with Clark's or conflict with them, depending on the situation. Makes her more of a wild card. Not a friend, but not quite a real enemy either. Maxima is (or rather, can be) Game of Thrones in space, and I think moral ambiguity offers more here than clear-cut villain dynamics. But I get what you're saying.

Regarding Lobo: dude's a total deliberate parody of toxic masculinity. Of course he should fight Supes. But he 's like Darkseid: an ideal opponent, but not one meant specifically and primarily for Kal, and therefore not a part of "his" rogues gallery. Otherwise we have to start giving Deathstroke to Batman's rogue gallery, and Bruce has more than enough as it is.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m rereading the Johns/Busiek era Superman titles and this really feels like the last time ALL of Superman’s Rogues got lots of attention. Metallo for instance was a big player in this era which he has never really come close to matching since. While I like Red Cloud and the Invisible Mafia I don’t think Bendis has any interest in using Clark’s regular Rogues which is unfortunate but not unexpected. It’s rare that any writer uses guys like Parasite or Metallo in a “big” way. I’m grateful Tomasi at least brought Manchester Black into Rebirth continuity at least.
    I think you're right, the last time we saw a big spread of the classics was Busiek/Johns. Say what you will about Johns, but he puts some focus on the core rogues whenever he takes on a property. Metallo had a bit of an arc through the New52, and Myx has been around (Reborn, Snyder's JL) but yeah, it's mostly just cameos. Toyman got a few pages with Bendis. Shame, I'm still waiting for someone to make me actually care about Parasite and Metallo.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Remember what I said about Titano should have different colored fur/ hair to better distinguish himself from other famous fictional apes like King Kong, Mighty Joe Young, Gorilla Grodd, Ultra-Humanite, Detective Chimp, Sam Simian, Beppo the Super-Monkey, George from Rampage, Grape Ape, Curious George, etc?

How frickin obvious!

GREEN fur! It's perfect! And they already did it!

This Titano totally looks like the radioactive spawn of King King and Godzilla! Love it!

This has to be his default look going forward.