Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd be down with making Winters the real Ultra, definitely! Maybe you even take it one step further; she doesn't identify as a woman (who happens to body swap with apes and men and whoever else) but as something non-binary. I dont want Ultra to become a conversation about gender identity (not the right character for that) but I do think it'd be a fun wrinkle to add.

The very first question you'll get with that take (over and over again) is "where is the just-as-prominent non-binary / gender-fluid HERO at this publisher?"

Which will be tons of fun to deal with, along with the inevitable and understandable accusations of bigotry.

Yeah, I'd rather not hit that button too hard. Or at all.

Hmmm ... I'd like Ultra to have a variant of Doctor Doom's "Ovoid mind transfer" technique: lock eyes with her victim and swap consciousnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    The very first question you'll get with that take (over and over again) is "where is the just-as-prominent non-binary / gender-fluid HERO at this publisher?"

Which will be tons of fun to deal with, along with the inevitable and understandable accusations of bigotry.

Yeah, I'd rather not hit that button too hard. Or at all.

Hmmm ... I'd like Ultra to have a variant of Doctor Doom's "Ovoid mind transfer" technique: lock eyes with her victim and swap consciousnesses.
    People already bitch (rightfully) about the lack of representation at DC. This wouldn't be anything new. And, if people want a hero of equal measure.....create one! Introduce a new hero into the mythos who's non-binary. And if people want a "just as prominent" non-binary hero......well, let's keep in mind that Ultra's not very prominent at all and has barely appeared anywhere for years....so Ultra probably isn't the best choice for "prominent" in the first place.

I think the bigger concern is the writers handling it wrong. Anyone remember the BS that came up when the Burnside Batgirl introduced a trans villain?

However, I'm of the mind that this would be a "new" non-binary character in the DCU, a step towards better/more representation, and that'd be a good thing. People will bitch no matter what anyway; I don't give the noise much attention.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Having recently finished the Pak Action run I also really liked the New 52 Ultra-Humaite who fed off of other people’s fear. I felt like that was a cool update of the character and would not mind seeing him show up again.

I personally have always loved Ultra-Humanite the best; when "she was used in All-Star Squadron, I was happy."

Also a fan of the Atomic-Skull, Terra-Man, Ambush Bug, Live Wire and Satanus/Blaze.

And the best by far, Superboy-Prime!

Let's look at Terra-Man.

Three things spring to mind:

1.The pre-Crisis version of Toby Manning is way goofier but looks more memorable and has the better weapons.

2. The post-Crisis version of him is far more serious but also looks more generic and has the better motivation.

3. Honestly can't remember if he ever showed up in New52 or Rebirth or since.

If he hasn't, being him back but take the best of both worlds: Keep the eco- terrorist angle and merge with the advanced alien weaponry angle.

Superman's own cowboy Weapons Master, who went green.

A merged version (with a robotic steed) could still go places.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Let's look at Terra-Man.

Three things spring to mind:

1.The pre-Crisis version of Toby Manning is way goofier but looks more memorable and has the better weapons.

2. The post-Crisis version of him is far more serious but also looks more generic and has the better motivation.

3. Honestly can't remember if he ever showed up in New52 or Rebirth or since.

If he hasn't, being him back but take the best of both worlds: Keep the eco- terrorist angle and merge with the advanced alien weaponry angle.

Superman's own cowboy Weapons Master, who went green.

A merged version (with a robotic steed) could still go places.
    Terra-Man appeared in the LOSH animated series as well.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

This is Terra-Man (tm), behold:

To me this isn't something to be undone, redone, or even unpacked.

That said I had a lot of fun with his initial post crisis stories. I love when he's actually someone you possibly cheer for in some cases and that he even got Superman to indulge in his theme. Super-Cowboy is just a fun and charismatic idea.

Johns leaned too heavily into the "Terra" part for me though, to the point where being a cowboy was just lost.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Wading further into the C- list Superverse villains ...

Master Jailer!

Carl Draper is basically Superman's own Evil Mister Miracle, isn't he?

I feel like a lot more can still be done with him.

Wading further into the C- list Superverse villains ...

Master Jailer!

Carl Draper is basically Superman's own Evil Mister Miracle, isn't he?

I feel like a lot more can still be done with him.
    Ok I’m really confused when it comes to him. What’s his gimmick? Because he seems to be a master escape artist, an “evil Mister Miracle” as you put it, but “Master Jailer” makes me think he was some kind of death trap maestro. I know Johns brought him back for his run.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ok I’m really confused when it comes to him. What’s his gimmick? Because he seems to be a master escape artist, an “evil Mister Miracle” as you put it, but “Master Jailer” makes me think he was some kind of death trap meaestro. I know Johns brought him back for his run.
    He's (almost) a master at containment; in his very first story, Superman #330-331, he, Carl Draper, had built a super-villain prison that not only contained Parasite, Metallo, and Atomic Skull; each super-powered villain holding device held a battery that absorbs their powers, and when added on his belt, used their powers for himself.

Usually, against Super-People, Superman and Supergirl, he would cobble up a locking device that would hold them just for a little bit, with of course, the Supers overcoming it, and him every time.

And, at least back in the Pre-Crisis Age, and the Superman Retro-Active the Seventies based on the Pre-Crisis Age, he had an obsession on Lana Lang, since he himself was a loser at Smallville High, part of Lana / Pete / Clark's class during Superman's days as Superboy.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The Parasite to me is the most underrated Superman villain. To me he best exemplifies what a good Superman antagonist should be. A Superman Rogue should force Superman to use his laundry list of powers in unconventional ways. All the good Superman villains have this element to them.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Parasite should be known as maybe Enemy #3 or #4, but I guess between the way his powers can dominate a story and the modern interpretations as a mindless, rampaging pig, people forget how great he can be.

After 50 years Zod is finally starting to look like a good character to me but Jack Nimball, Oswald Loomis, and Jensen/Jones/Freeman will always be firmly under the Top Two.

Oh, and I'd love a Jailer/Conduit twofer if either came back.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Parasite should be known as maybe Enemy #3 or #4, but I guess between the way his powers can dominate a story and the modern interpretations as a mindless, rampaging pig, people forget how great he can be.

After 50 years Zod is finally starting to look like a good character to me but Jack Nimball, Oswald Loomis, and Jensen/Jones/Freeman will always be firmly under the Top Two.

Oh, and I'd love a Jailer/Conduit twofer if either came back.
    I had no idea both of them were Smallville grads like Clark. Not sure how I feel about that, but I do agree it would be cool to see them team up.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I have a soft spot for superman villains I grew up reading like Manchester black, conduit, eradicator, bloodsport and cyborg superman

32 years ago today ... HE appeared.

Take a deep breath, because we've been swimming in the middle depths of the Villainous Superverse Ocean, but now now we're heading to the very bottom.

Not even the regular ocean floor: we're at the bottom of the Marinias Trench, the Challenger Deep.

Brace yourselves, for it is only at these lowest imaginable depths can you find ... HIM.

Nuclear Man.

The Worst Super-Villain Of All Time.

By a mile.

And yet, I believe he can still be totally redeemed in the hands of a creative writer.

I have some ideas myself.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 07-25-2019 at 03:00 AM.