Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Superman 14 (Legion) Kon El? jonathan Kent?

Hello,
    this sounds nice
    https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...30061936353280

I am curious what will happen..

Astonishing Member

I believe they make an offer to Jon Kent to join the Legion based on a preview image Bendis posted with Superman, Jon and the Legion.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I believe they make an offer to Jon Kent to join the Legion based on a preview image Bendis posted with Superman, Jon and the Legion.
    Ok, so now Jon,Clark and Conner are/were members of the Legion?

It makes no sense for me, since they should still know Conner, because they are from the future and because Conner has more history and connections (especially trough Bart and his cousin XS) to them..

Astonishing Member

According to Bendis, this will be a "different" team, in a multiverse kind of way. It's not the exact characters with Clark as Superboy or Kon as Superboy. This team is meeting Superman for the first time, that means they also have never worked with Conner. Now every Superboy will have his own Legion stories.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    According to Bendis, this will be a "different" team, in a multiverse kind of way. It's not the exact characters with Clark as Superboy or Kon as Superboy. This team is meeting Superman for the first time, that means they also have never worked with Conner. Now every Superboy will have his own Legion stories.
    He was a little shaky on this answer specifically because he personally doesn't like to invalidate the existence of the older work (especially work that shaped him), but this Legion is part of Earth-0 (aka our continuity), and it's the first time our Superman has ever met them or any other Legion team. I feel quite confident this is what he meant.

Think of it like Doomsday Clock where Superman's debut was coming later and later. Technically on Earth-0 Superman has been born and shown multiple times, but it's always the first time. So in that sense, the silver, bronze, and modern age Legion 'count' the same way that the golden age Superman still 'counts.' That's why they're coming from the 32nd century as apposed to the 31st (modern age) or the 30th before that.

It's Bendis doing his best to do a completely clean reboot while immortalizing the ground the now out of continuity (and that's what they technically are) stories of the past.

Also Conner is not at all confirmed to be involved in any way with the Legion at this point. Bendis did however inadvertently confirm that Jon will be going to the team.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    He was a little shaky on this answer specifically because he personally doesn't like to invalidate the existence of the older work (especially work that shaped him), but this Legion is part of Earth-0 (aka our continuity), and it's the first time our Superman has ever met them or any other Legion team. I feel quite confident this is what he meant.

Think of it like Doomsday Clock where Superman's debut was coming later and later. Technically on Earth-0 Superman has been born and shown multiple times, but it's always the first time. So in that sense, the silver, bronze, and modern age Legion 'count' the same way that the golden age Superman still 'counts.' That's why they're coming from the 32nd century as apposed to the 31st (modern age) or the 30th before that.

It's Bendis doing his best to do a completely clean reboot while immortalizing the ground the now out of continuity (and that's what they technically are) stories of the past.

Also Conner is not at all confirmed to be involved in any way with the Legion at this point. Bendis did however inadvertently confirm that Jon will be going to the team.
    You explained it better than I could.

I noticed the Jon spoiler spoilers:
    including the fact that Jon does in fact come back as many have feared he would be shipped off indefinitely
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

So Conners complete story with the Legion didnt happen or it happened with another legion or?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    So Conners complete story with the Legion didnt happen or it happened with another legion or?
    Essentially, it happened in another continuity.

Basically he travelled to an alternate universe and not just the future.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Conner's Legion was the Legion of Earth-247. Kara's was from Earth Prime. Clark's was from Earth-0 from the 31'st century.

With this newer Legion from the 32nd century, the classic Legion (Clark's) could still be in continuity we'd just be focusing on a newer version of the team from farther ahead.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Conner's Legion was the Legion of Earth-247. Kara's was from Earth Prime. Clark's was from Earth-0 from the 31'st century.

With this newer Legion from the 32nd century, the classic Legion (Clark's) could still be in continuity we'd just be focusing on a newer version of the team from farther ahead.
    i dont understand it completely....I thougt Conners Legion is the same as Clark one and they wanted to get Clark back, but have mistaken Conner with Clark and so Conner became member?

No, Conner was a member of the "reboot" Legion from after Zero Hour. It was revealed during Infinite Crisis that that Legion was from Earth-247.

The "Threeboot" Legion that post Crisis Kara was a part of was revealed to be from Earth-Prime(our Earth). The classic Legion Clark was a part of (earth-0) was brought back after Infinite Crisis and they all interacted in "Legion of three worlds".
    Last edited by Midnighter; 06-27-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Hopefully this clears things up....

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...67787304476672

Question: "Little unclear from the comicbook.com interview... is this the classic Legion, or is this another re-boot? It sounds and looks like a re-boot, but maybe I am misreading."

Bendis: "I’ll offer you this: it is the first appearance of the Legion of superheroes or any of these characters in this iteration of the DCComics universe. We are meeting them fresh. Is that a reboot?"

It's a reboot. Conner, Kara, and Clark's Legions are now from different continuities. They are not this upcoming one.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Hopefully this clears things up....

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...67787304476672

Question: "Little unclear from the comicbook.com interview... is this the classic Legion, or is this another re-boot? It sounds and looks like a re-boot, but maybe I am misreading."

Bendis: "I’ll offer you this: it is the first appearance of the Legion of superheroes or any of these characters in this iteration of the DCComics universe. We are meeting them fresh. Is that a reboot?"

It's a reboot. Conner, Kara, and Clark's Legions are now from different continuities. They are not this upcoming one.
    Well, that sucks. I thought doomsday clock had saturn girl in it for re-establishing clark kent superboy and legion connection. It just sucks that just cause didio took over, everything good about rebirth went down the drain. This book is being launched with too much unwanted baggage for jon. It needs to work, otherwise they will just send jon to oblivion.
    If you ask me jon would have been better of with supersons and superbook appearances. This feels like, jon will be getting buried after short stint of this book and probable failure. I mean, how many times has legion been rebooted? Can't they just get a hint. They should have just reestablished the original legion with clark and expanded upon it. I am sure new readers would be more attracted to a property that has a history and legacy, than umpteenth reboot shell of a version. Legion, Clark and jon deserve better than that.This business of running away from character's history is a bad way of dealing with things.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This book is being launched with too much unwanted baggage for jon
    There's literally no baggage. It's a property that hasn't been used in half a decade, and it's being rebooted. That's anti-baggage. That's a fresh start.

They should have just reestablished the original legion with clark and expanded upon it.
    They've tried that as well in the past.

I am sure new readers would be more attracted to a property that has a history and legacy, than umpteenth reboot shell of a version.
    I won't pretend like I *know* for a fact what will sell and what won't, but it seems to me that simple logic dictates that new readers appreciate the ability to have a fresh start with a property. No one likes to feel like they're missing something when they're trying to get into something new. Speaking specifically for Legion: one of the *number one* issues the Legion (like the X-Men, but without the aid of a multimedia force) face with getting new readers in is being a franchise with *literally* dozens and dozens and, yes you guessed it, dozens of characters, planets, and histories that the franchise becomes virtually impenetrable for anyone looking to get in. They are a team where having a couple dozen of them active at a time is considered small.

And each member has a corresponding back story, power, codename, real name, relationship status, possible children, relevant siblings or other family members, and home planet that can't possible be restated every single issue that character shows up, so you just have to remember it. There are people who have been reading comics for years and years that find themselves totally overwhelmed by the Legion's history, and thus skip it.