Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    There's literally no baggage. It's a property that hasn't been used in half a decade, and it's being rebooted. That's anti-baggage. That's a fresh start.
    A book often associated with Clark. Jon's age up has been extremely unpopular amongst his fans. A lot of people aren't fans of at least some of the designs shown so far. A book that's had a LOT of issues in the past in recent years in trying to be an ongoing (tying back into Jon being shipped off to it). I could keep going.

They've tried that as well in the past.
    And yet, that's whom they're most associated with.

I won't pretend like I *know* for a fact what will sell and what won't, but it seems to me that simple logic dictates that new readers appreciate the ability to have a fresh start with a property. No one likes to feel like they're missing something when they're trying to get into something new. Speaking specifically for Legion: one of the *number one* issues the Legion (like the X-Men, but without the aid of a multimedia force) face with getting new readers in is being a franchise with *literally* dozens and dozens and, yes you guessed it, dozens of characters, planets, and histories that the franchise becomes virtually impenetrable for anyone looking to get in. They are a team where having a couple dozen of them active at a time is considered small.

And each member has a corresponding back story, power, codename, real name, relationship status, possible children, relevant siblings or other family members, and home planet that can't possible be restated every single issue that character shows up, so you just have to remember it. There are people who have been reading comics for years and years that find themselves totally overwhelmed by the Legion's history, and thus skip it.
    A lot of new readers also like to look up the past history of new comics. Look at the blowback the original Red Hood and the Outlaws got for sticking Roy and Starfire with Jason for example.

After some time and reflection all I've done is gone back to the "safe space" I've been hanging out at for the past three years: just hoping desperately that someday, somehow, there's an iteration of Superman that shows up that uses Morrison's Action Vol. 2 base as a template and moves forward from there. Whether its Black Label, Elseworlds, whatever. It may be a fool's hope but its my only hope. Its pretty much everything I want in the character and despite currently feeling Superman's individual characterization in regards to personality right now is good, is everything the main verse does not purport.

Again I'm not at the level of anger I was back in '16. Just exhausted.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    A book often associated with Clark.
    Given the Legion's relative obscurity and DC not really associating them with Clark since like 2011, it doesn't seem as much of a blow as far as a casual audience goes. Speaking only in regards to what I've personally seen: I haven't seen too many Legion fans (that's fans of Legion first rather than Superman fans) take much umbrage with Clark not being the Superboy in question but still the inspiration. From what I hear, they're kind of just overjoyed to have the Legion getting this level of push and being in publication again.

A lot of new readers also like to look up the past history of new comics. Look at the blowback the original Red Hood and the Outlaws got for sticking Roy and Starfire with Jason for example.
    I'm sure there are people like that, but general conventional wisdom points to most new readers feeling most comfortable when they can come onto a book from scratch.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

This haircut LOSH reboot actually had a few things going for it that I thought might go in its favor. Specifically having both Unity Saga and Doomsday clock build up to it. I heard Bendis’s YJ is underperforming, but I wonder if that’s in part due to it kinda just happening with no setup minus Impulse making a cameo in Flash War. Some people didn’t even think it was going to be canon when it first came out. But now I’m hearing that it might not actually be tying into Doomsday Clock? Or maybe it kinda is? Also might not even be the real Legion? Not sure what the deal is there but that seems like a stupid bridge to burn on Bendis’s part if true. As for the Superman build up, looks like that might also be a shot in the foot since it will be about....teen Jonathan...easily the most hated thing about his run. Throw in some iffy character designs. Can’t say I’m optimistic about the chances for this one. Bendis’s GOTG was successful but that had movie hype. Maybe this should have just been another maxi or something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    This haircut LOSH reboot actually had a few things going for it that I thought might go in its favor. Specifically having both Unity Saga and Doomsday clock build up to it. I heard Bendis’s YJ is underperforming, but I wonder if that’s in part due to it kinda just happening with no setup minus Impulse making a cameo in Flash War. Some people didn’t even think it was going to be canon when it first came out. But now I’m hearing that it might not actually be tying into Doomsday Clock? Or maybe it kinda is? Also might not even be the real Legion? Not sure what the deal is there but that seems like a stupid bridge to burn on Bendis’s part if true. As for the Superman build up, looks like that might also be a shot in the foot since it will be about....teen Jonathan...easily the most hated thing about his run. Throw in some iffy character designs. Can’t say I’m optimistic about the chances for this one. Bendis’s GOTG was successful but that had movie hype. Maybe this should have just been another maxi or something.
    Young Justice #5 sold 29K, which isn't an impressive number for the return YJ4. However, the most worrying is that sales would likely continue to fall.

On the other side, Naomi is the opposite. A totally new character, so the comics sales were pretty poor at first. However, the sales are increased a lot (Naomi #5 sold 36K).

Superman and Action Comic sales seem to be stable, even if they aren't big sellers (not much more than they would normally be with other writer).

So, Bendis can be a hit or a miss. I hope it is a hit with Superboy and the Legion.

PS: I'm not so sure if the film really help GOTG, since films usually don't translate in sales.
    Last edited by Konja7; 06-28-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Young Justice #5 sold 29K, which isn't an impressive number for the return YJ4. However, the most worrying is that sales would likely continue to fall.

On the other side, Naomi is the opposite. A totally new character, so the comics sales were pretty poor at first. However, the sales are increased a lot (Naomi #5 sold 36K).

Superman and Action Comic sales seem to be stable, even if they aren't big sellers (not much more than they would normally be with other writer).

So, Bendis can be a hit or a miss. I hope it is a hit with Superboy and the Legion.

PS: I'm not so sure if the film really help GOTG, since films usually don't translate in sales.
    For the record I didn’t necessarily mean to pass credit for whatever his Guardians run success purely to the movie and away from Bendis. I don’t know how much the movie hype helped. Sometimes those kinds of things help, sometimes not. But even if it did, he deserves credit for capitalizing on it properly. Making it assessable for fans whose interest were peaked by the movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

http://yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot...-may-2019.html

1. Young Justice #5 sold 29,821 Books, not 29,000....Its only a small decrease in sales

2. If you compare the Sales of DC Books you see that 29,000 is a good number...

Wonder Woman 71 sold 32,792
    Justice League Dark sold 31,871
    Harley Quinn 30,708
    etc.
    etc.

Which ONGOING Series sells much more than YJ? Superman (Action Comics and Superman), Batman (Batman and Detective Comics). Justice League, Green Lantern (actually)...

The Rest is more or less also between 30,000 and 40,000...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    http://yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot...-may-2019.html

1. Young Justice #5 sold 29,821 Books, not 29,000....Its only a small decrease in sales

2. If you compare the Sales of DC Books you see that 29,000 is a good number...

Wonder Woman 71 sold 32,792
    Justice League Dark sold 31,871
    Harley Quinn 30,708
    etc.
    etc.

Which ONGOING Series sells much more than YJ? Superman (Action Comics and Superman), Batman (Batman and Detective Comics). Justice League, Green Lantern (actually)...

The Rest is more or less also between 30,000 and 40,000...
    I put 29K as a reference. In the same way, I mentioned Naomi sold 36K, when the number is 36,953.

29,821 for a comic would be a good number if the sales stabilize at this point.

The problem is these sales are for ISSUE 5 of Young Justice. In this position, the comics are not stable and usually continue to fall.

Regarding the small (but constant) decrease of Young Justice sales:

YOUNG JUSTICE #2 37,081

YOUNG JUSTICE #3 33,683

YOUNG JUSTICE #4 31,319

YOUNG JUSTICE #5 29,821
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-02-2019 at 07:22 AM.