Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fourth trilogy and the old Republic

Although it's not necessarily confirmed 100%, a lot of fans seem to think that the trilogy that starts in 2022 will focus on the Old Republic and the Jedi and Sith at their prime.

Some people think it might be an adaptation of the "Knights of the Old Republic" games, but given changes to canon and other things, probably Disney might make their own changes.

Here's a few thoughts though.

-If you take just the movies into account, there's not much saying that the Republic is SUPER ancient, but actually only a thousand years old and it's implied it was formed after the Sith-who ruled the galaxy-were overthrown by the Jedi. Mainly going by AOTC and ROTS dialogue here. Also the conflict was apparentally so devestating that the Republic disbanded it's central army until the Clone Wars, having, military-wise, only local system (Naboo) or Private fleets (Trade Federation and their allies) and the Jedi. (Apparentally the New Republic in the ST did this too, hence why the First Order managed to do so well).

-If that conflict is addressed, presumably it will still deal with Darth Bane, as Clone Wars established him as still canon, although not with the funky crab armor but something akin to Vader's.

-I'd expect we'd perhaps see Disney-only planets pivotal to the Jedi and Sith pasts such as Ach-To and Jedha, as well as established and still canon places like Malachor and Korriban/Moriband, although with all of them in their un-ruined states.

-And maybe the "Braveheart"/LOTR style Jedi vs sith battles fans have wanted to see in the prequels but never got.

-Perhaps something to do with the other Force cults and beings around the galaxy that Disney has been using, such as the Guardians of the Whills, Church of the Force etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Although it's not necessarily confirmed 100%, a lot of fans seem to think that the trilogy that starts in 2022 will focus on the Old Republic and the Jedi and Sith at their prime
    Lot of fans used to think that Snoke was going to be an interesting character.

I'm going to wait for something a bit more official.

Wait, is this the Game of Thrones guy's project or Rian Johnson's?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I believe this is D&D. Johnson's trilogy has not had any word on it in quite some time leading to to many thinking its very up in the air if its even happening anymore.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

While it would be awesome to travel in the Old Rebublic, i would like to see something new, something fresh. No Jedi, no Sith, something new!

I can't even begin to describe how underwhelmed the idea of an Old Republic project is to me; I remember it from Legends tie-ins and it was some of the most boring, same-ey stuff the franchise had to offer. Leave that as the backstory and do something that advances the timeline forward or shows us more of the Galaxy during the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I believe this is D&D. Johnson's trilogy has not had any word on it in quite some time leading to to many thinking its very up in the air if its even happening anymore.
    Oh, yeah, that sounds familiar. Hope Johnson's project pulls through; he really proved himself with TLJ.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't feel the old republic warrants a trilogy. It's an era of Star Wars that should be open ended.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I can't even begin to describe how underwhelmed the idea of an Old Republic project is to me; I remember it from Legends tie-ins and it was some of the most boring, same-ey stuff the franchise had to offer. Leave that as the backstory and do something that advances the timeline forward or shows us more of the Galaxy during the movies.

Oh, yeah, that sounds familiar. Hope Johnson's project pulls through; he really proved himself with TLJ.
    I think that's mainly the video games; they were sort of going for OT nostalgia with those, especially since they were released around the time of the prequels. Hence a lot of them using Star Wars tropes such as a Falcon-like ship, R2 style droid, and something like the Death Star.

The original "Tales of the Jedi" comics are a bit more story-wise and visually distinct from the movies, giving everything a sort of spacefaring "bronze age" kind of look more or less. (For instance, the series explains where the temples on Yavin came from; they're in fact old Sith temples!)

I think it may be something to do with Bane and the Rule of Two with the Sith. It is eluded to in the movies and as far as I know some of Bane's story is in TPM novelization so would still be cannon right?
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Bane's in Clone Wars (voiced by Hammil, no less) although visually he's different from his other EU look (Bald or with the "Crab armor"). Clone Wars is still part of Disney's canon, especially given it's connections with REBELS.

Bane's in Clone Wars (voiced by Hammil, no less) although visually he's different from his other EU look (Bald or with the "Crab armor"). Clone Wars is still part of Disney's canon, especially given it's connections with REBELS.
    I forgot about ghost Bane, so yeah I would think that the origin of the Rule of 2 is in the realm of possibility for an Old Republic trilogy. The books were so so and I do believe that there could be a much better story there.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I think that's mainly the video games; they were sort of going for OT nostalgia with those, especially since they were released around the time of the prequels. Hence a lot of them using Star Wars tropes such as a Falcon-like ship, R2 style droid, and something like the Death Star.

The original "Tales of the Jedi" comics are a bit more story-wise and visually distinct from the movies, giving everything a sort of spacefaring "bronze age" kind of look more or less. (For instance, the series explains where the temples on Yavin came from; they're in fact old Sith temples!)
    Didn't actually play or read those. Liked Knight Errant, that worked, but everything else I read didn't work for me.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Knight Errant novels/Darth Bane are sort of closer in timeline to the movies than the KOTOR/Tales of the Jedi stuff.

I wonder if Lucasfilm had many future plans for Knight Errant, as it had three comic series and a novel as well; I guess the Disney sale and eventual EU overhaul might have cancelled any plans for that.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that an Old Republic movie was considered by Lucas at the time Kurtz was working with him and the prequels and sequel trilogies were sort of in a prototype stage.

According to Kurtz, Episode One would've been about the origins of the Jedi and possibly the Republic, while II and III were going to focus on the Anakin and Obi-Wan story.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-28-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The Knight Errant novels/Darth Bane are sort of closer in timeline to the movies than the KOTOR/Tales of the Jedi stuff.

I wonder if Lucasfilm had many future plans for Knight Errant, as it had three comic series and a novel as well; I guess the Disney sale and eventual EU overhaul might have cancelled any plans for that.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that an Old Republic movie was considered by Lucas at the time Kurtz was working with him and the prequels and sequel trilogies were sort of in a prototype stage.

According to Kurtz, Episode One would've been about the origins of the Jedi and possibly the Republic, while II and III were going to focus on the Anakin and Obi-Wan story.
    That would have been an incredibly weird trilogy.

Interesting. Thing for me, is that the characters and story were interesting. Unlike the other stuff, it felt like it could stand alone as its own thing. Not sure if that makes any sense, but there it is.

Maybe. Seems like the comics ended a good while before the sale, though. Would love to see it adapted into a cartoon or something, though.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)