View Poll Results: Should Ghost Spider (AKA Spider-Gwen) be part of the regular Marvel Universe?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, move her to Earth 616

13 25.49%
  • No, keep her at Earth 65

38 74.51%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Would people have bought Samantha Wilson: Captain America though?

And I do agree the supporting cast is a problem. If the Mary Janes came over to 616 and didn't use fake IDs, what would 616 MJ, Betty and Glory think, seeing younger pop star versions of themselves? It does sound like Ghost Spider #2 will set up a new supporting cast for her on Earth-616 though, however her Earth-65 cast will still feature.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-26-2019 at 02:47 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Would people have bought Samantha Wilson: Captain America though?

And I do agree the supporting cast is a problem. If the Mary Janes came over to 616 and didn't use fake IDs, what would 616 MJ, Betty and Glory think, seeing younger pop star versions of themselves? It does sound like Ghost Spider #2 will set up a new supporting cast for her on Earth-616 though, however her Earth-65 cast will still feature.
    I'd BS it that they look similar, not identical.

Quote Originally Posted by emmafrosting View Post
    I think one of the reasons people liked Spider-Gwen is because of the unique worldbuilding the book had and how vibrant E-65 and Gwen's supporting cast was. I'm honestly surprised Marvel has never launched another book outside Spider-Gwen that's set in E-65.

I wouldn't really mind if they do move her to 616 though. I'd like to see her interact with other 616 characters especially Mary Jane
    I have this feeling that outside the original creative team, most editorial staff and creatives don't really have a handle on Earth-65's unique vibe and would rather just work with her in a more conventional setting.

It should also be remembered that we don't need this to have her cope with the idea of another universe where she died and Peter lived. That plot has already been explored in the first issues of her comics, we don't need to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I have this feeling that outside the original creative team, most editorial staff and creatives don't really have a handle on Earth-65's unique vibe and would rather just work with her in a more conventional setting.
    It won't be a surprise when this leads to cancellation. (That they did such a quick relaunch indicates that there's already trouble with a post-Latour/Rodriguez Spider-Gwen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I see from the poll results that the Mary Jane stans are hella scared
    Love your troll tag "Mephisto Was Right" it reminds me of "Zamasu (Goku Black) Did Nothing Wrong" used by Dragon Super Fans in a similar fashion, lol.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-26-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It won't be a surprise when this leads to cancellation. (That they did such a quick relaunch indicates that there's already trouble with a post-Latour/Rodriguez Spider-Gwen.)
    Orrrrrrr the quick relaunch was to take advantage of her popularity bump thanks to Spider-Verse, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Love your troll tag "Mephisto Was Right" it reminds me of "Zamasu (Goku Black) Did Not Wrong" used by Dragon Super Fans in a similar fashion, lol.
    i am an angel (⋆ˆ⌣ˆ⋆)
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Orrrrrrr the quick relaunch was to take advantage of her popularity bump thanks to Spider-Verse, maybe?
    Into the Spider-Verse came out in December of last year.

i am an angel (⋆ˆ⌣ˆ⋆)

That relaunch was certainly not originally planned. She only finally becomes Ghost Spider in issue 10 - the last issue before the relaunch? The volume that's about to end should've just been called Spider-Gwen then.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

I'm unsure. I like Gwen's universe and all, but I'd also like to see her bouncing off 616 characters - not just regularly interacting with Miles, but the Champions, people that knew Gwen, Norman Osborn, etc. I'd like to see her be part of big events (even when the events suck). Characters that don't normally interact teaming up in events is always fun.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I stopped reading.

As up and down as I found Latour's run to be at times, it was at least a cohesive and thought-out story, and the unique universe he gave to Gwen was part of the charm and the overall aesthetic. Gwen's character, to me, is enhanced by her environment.

Marvel understandably wants her more in-sync with the rest of their characters / comic line, but personally, I love buying comics that are off in their own corner, doing their own thing. Spider-Gwen was mostly that. "Ghost Spider" seems less so, and therefore not as appealing to me personally.

-Pav, who loved the -65 Electro...

EDIT: I still think the best way for Marvel to have their cake and eat it too in regards to Spider-Gwen is to have a Web Warriors title co-starring Miles and Gwen equally, while letting Gwen's solo feature her strictly in the -65.
    Last edited by Pav; 06-26-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I don't disagree. I think the only one who was really able to capture that universe at it's best was Latour.
    I don't think any book has ever really benefitted, sales-wise, from constant relaunches.

Yeah, quick boost for a couple of issues then back to where you were. Hulk is a rare exception. Immortal is selling much better than Amadeus did... because it's just that good.

Into the Spider-Verse came out in December of last year.
    There's generally a six month turn around from planning/writing to print for a comic book. I think it's an exercise in easing readers into a brand transition at the least:

Spider-Gwen > Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider > Ghost Spider

That's a pretty purposeful progression, there.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

There's generally a six month turn around from planning/writing to print for a comic book. I think it's an exercise in easing readers into a brand transition at the least:

Spider-Gwen > Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider > Ghost Spider

That's a pretty purposeful progression, there.
    The question was essentially asked in this thread. Has any book benefited from constant relaunches?