View Poll Results: Should Ghost Spider (AKA Spider-Gwen) be part of the regular Marvel Universe?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, move her to Earth 616

13 25.49%
  • No, keep her at Earth 65

38 74.51%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The question was essentially asked in this thread. Has any book benefited from constant relaunches?
    Counter-question: has any character not benefited from dedicated attempts to solidify branding?
    This is a marketing thing - if there's any ill effects, it's basically a short term hit for a long term gain. You said you felt this was a sign of a lack of faith creatively; I contend this is a sign that they're going all in on the character.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 06-27-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Counter-question: has any character not benefited from dedicated attempts to solidify branding?
    This is a marketing thing - if there's any ill effects, it's basically a short term hit for a long term gain. You said you felt this was a sign of a lack of faith creatively; I contend this is a sign that they're going all in on the character.
    The inhumans?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    The inhumans?
    (I was beaten to the punch.)

Edit: The point is they go "all-in" until they don't.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-27-2019 at 10:16 AM.

There's generally a six month turn around from planning/writing to print for a comic book. I think it's an exercise in easing readers into a brand transition at the least:

Spider-Gwen > Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider > Ghost Spider

That's a pretty purposeful progression, there.
    Even as someone who is really liking the current series, I will say it does seem more likely to me that this direction of the book was always supposed to happen at this time, but they decided to completely relaunch rather than continue the numbering to help boost sales in some way. If her book was probably doing something a bit more than Miles current numbers, they probably just would've kept it as is. She is doing a bit better than Superior currently.

Also, it's worth remembering the trade and digital sales, and from what I heard, the first trade of this series has actually been selling extremely well on Amazon, so I think that's more incentive of them to keep the series going in some way.

Incuties did benefit until the damn muties got involved and Scott Buck went heel.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Even as someone who is really liking the current series, I will say it does seem more likely to me that this direction of the book was always supposed to happen at this time, but they decided to completely relaunch rather than continue the numbering to help boost sales in some way. If her book was probably doing something a bit more than Miles current numbers, they probably just would've kept it as is. She is doing a bit better than Superior currently.
    But relaunching only temporarily boosts sales. The downturn is usually even higher then it would've been prior to the relaunch.
    Also, it's worth remembering the trade and digital sales, and from what I heard, the first trade of this series has actually been selling extremely well on Amazon, so I think that's more incentive of them to keep the series going in some way.
    So Gwen is a better trade-seller then a floppy seller? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Incuties did benefit until the damn muties got involved and Scott Buck went heel.
    ^ This

I know they're cool to hate and all b-b-because X-men, but the facts are that the muscle was paying off until the TV show hit more bad notes than a Eurovision song contest.

So

Edit: The point is they go "all-in" until they don't.
    Until Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider somehow has her character near-irreparably assassinated on screen, they're not going to all of a sudden stop their support.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Yeah, it's no coincidence that the Inhumans push ended when the show bombed. The characters that still see regular use (Ms Marvel, Moon Girl, Quake, and Inferno) all weren't affected because they weren't in it, but the Royals were pushed out of focus.

Even if Gwen's book started selling so bad it had to be cancelled, she'd still be used in Peter's or Miles's books. Only a Ghost Spider movie bombing like Dark Phoenix did (it was DOA due to Disney buying Fox) would kill her off.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-29-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

^ This

I know they're cool to hate and all b-b-because X-men, but the facts are that the muscle was paying off until the TV show hit more bad notes than a Eurovision song contest.

So

Until Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider somehow has her character near-irreparably assassinated on screen, they're not going to all of a sudden stop their support.
    Her destiny looks to be similar to Spider-Man 2099. That's my take on it at least. (I am by no means trying to denigrate Spider-Man 2099. My point is the character will remain relatively popular, pop up fairly regularly, and maybe even got another chance at an ongoing in the future.)

You wouldn't say they don't support Spider-Man 2099, would you?

Astonishing Member

Definitely keep Spider-Gwen in her Earth-65. I'm open to rare 616 visits. I gave the relaunched Ghost Spider with the new creative team a go and dropped it.

... either or. But if she leaves her native Earth, I guess that means any menaces over there won't have "ghost spider" to stop them. Just saying.

Her destiny looks to be similar to Spider-Man 2099. That's my take on it at least. (I am by no means trying to denigrate Spider-Man 2099. My point is the character will remain relatively popular, pop up fairly regularly, and maybe even got another chance at an ongoing in the future.)

You wouldn't say they don't support Spider-Man 2099, would you?
    I feel like she has a better standing then Miguel since she's more contemporary and Marvel seems to be pushing her harder then they ever pushed Miguel.

I think it helps that she's a more relevant female spider lead then any of the other female spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like she has a better standing then Miguel since she's more contemporary and Marvel seems to be pushing her harder then they ever pushed Miguel.

I think it helps that she's a more relevant female spider lead then any of the other female spiders.
    Sure. Nothing is ever gonna be 1:1 in this comparison. But, broad strokes, that's what I think will happen, because that's what always happens. Gwen will be old news, and Marvel will create a new female Spider that they will push hard. We've already seen more than a few warning signs that Gwen isn't the hot new character as much as she was when she first made her debut.

Media turnaround and shifts in consumer demographics have changed the game for modern new characters from this decade.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Sure. Nothing is ever gonna be 1:1 in this comparison. But, broad strokes, that's what I think will happen, because that's what always happens. Gwen will be old news, and Marvel will create a new female Spider that they will push hard. We've already seen more than a few warning signs that Gwen isn't the hot new character as much as she was when she first made her debut.
    I at least feel like with Gwen they've had more success then they've had with Jessica, Julia, Anya, Mattie, Cindy, etc.