View Poll Results: Should Ghost Spider (AKA Spider-Gwen) be part of the regular Marvel Universe?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, move her to Earth 616

13 25.49%
  • No, keep her at Earth 65

38 74.51%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Media turnaround and shifts in consumer demographics have changed the game for modern new characters from this decade.
    People say this, but I don't think this is necessarily true. There are differences now, I think we all know that, but I don't think the game has completely changed.

(You could make the argument that comics themselves are a niche audience and don't matter in the slightest to characters having mainstream appeal. So even though characters like Black Panther and Captain Marvel can lead billion dollar movies their comics still struggle to stay afloat.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I at least feel like with Gwen they've had more success then they've had with Jessica, Julia, Anya, Mattie, Cindy, etc.
    I think the real issue is Gwen is defined by the Spider-Verse era, and we will eventually see the franchise move in a different direction. You could see this idea of moving her to 616 as a way to sort of combat that, but it goes against the core appeal of Gwen and her world, and makes her just another spider-hero in a world that has no shortage of such characters.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-29-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think the real issue is Gwen is defined by the Spider-Verse era, and we will eventually see the franchise move in a different direction. You could see this idea of moving her to 616 as a way to sort of combat that, but it goes against the core appeal of Gwen and her world, and makes her just another spider-hero in a world that has no shortage of such characters.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but it feels like they have more commitment going with Gwen then they have other women in her position, otherwise those ladies I mentioned might still have books or prominent places in the Spider-line right now.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it feels like they have more commitment going with Gwen then they have other women in her position, otherwise those ladies I mentioned might still have books or prominent places in the Spider-line right now.
    Marvel are committed until they aren't.

AU Betty from that early What If? still has powers. Kill her universe's Spider-Man and make her Marvel's #1 star in Spider-Jam: Third Time's The Karn.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Her destiny looks to be similar to Spider-Man 2099. That's my take on it at least. (I am by no means trying to denigrate Spider-Man 2099. My point is the character will remain relatively popular, pop up fairly regularly, and maybe even got another chance at an ongoing in the future.)
    Spider-man 2099 hasn't had a starring role in a blockbuster animated Spider-Man film routinely opined as the best Spider-Man film ever.
    Nor has any other female spider-character, for that matter.

That's some immediate staying power, being thrust into the public consciousness to that wide a degree. I'd call it a "star making performance", even. Will she be a darling forever? No one could say that with certainty, but come on. It'd take something drastic for her profile to wane.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Spider-man 2099 hasn't had a starring role in a blockbuster animated Spider-Man film routinely opined as the best Spider-Man film ever.

That's some immediate staying power, being thrust into the public consciousness to that wide a degree. I'd call it a "star making performance", even. Will she be a darling forever? No one could say that with certainty, but come on. It'd take something drastic for her profile to wane.
    That movie also promoted her as an AU/Earth-65 character.

She's the third lead in the lowest grossing Spider-Man film. (I like that film a lot, but let's be honest here. Characters a lot more prominent than her have fallen by the wayside.)

That movie also promoted her as an AU/Earth-65 character.
    Sorry, I think I'm missing your point. To general audiences though, she was just from another dimension. There was no 'main universe' Gwen for her to be mirrored against, which made her more of a stand-alone, stand-out and unique character here.

She's the third lead in the lowest grossing Spider-Man film. (I like that film a lot, but let's be honest here. Characters a lot more prominent than her have fallen by the wayside.)
    The only Spider-Man film to win an academy award. It costs absolutely nothing to just concede that you're wrong, you know.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-08-2019 at 01:43 AM.

Sorry, I think I'm missing your point. To general audiences though, she was just from another dimension. There was no 'main universe' Gwen for her to be mirrored against, which made her more of a stand-alone, stand-out and unique character here.
    I mean, that's what this whole thread has been about and why she should be in her own dimension instead of on 616 .

Even as someone on the side of thinking she should have flexibility of being in other dimensions, I will say it is kind of ironic that in Gwen's biggest starring role in Into The Spider-Verse, she goes by Spider-Gwen/Woman, no Ghost-Spider to be seen.

(Though I know that's because G-S is Disney's way to try and make Gwen stand out more by giving her a unique codename rather than being an "alternate Spider-Woman")

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Even as someone on the side of thinking she should have flexibility of being in other dimensions, I will say it is kind of ironic that in Gwen's biggest starring role in Into The Spider-Verse, she goes by Spider-Gwen/Woman, no Ghost-Spider to be seen.

(Though I know that's because G-S is Disney's way to try and make Gwen stand out more by giving her a unique codename rather than being an "alternate Spider-Woman")
    Considering media hardly ever use Spider-Woman I'm kind of surprised they bothered.

Considering media hardly ever use Spider-Woman I'm kind of surprised they bothered.
    I think it also had to do with all their marketing and merchandising for the Marvel Rising brand, and supposedly (this isn't a hundred percent confirmed but it seems likely) that Sony own at least part of the rights to the Spider-Woman name, just like they do Spider-Man, so re-naming her to Ghost-Spider gives them something they'll completely own (since Spider-Gwen is a nickname rather than an actual codename so I can see why they wanted to do something different to that).

The only Spider-Man film to win an academy award. It costs absolutely nothing to just concede that you're wrong, you know.
    Academy Awards ain't what they used to be. Suicide Squad won an Academy Award (and that movie is terrible).

Gwen will fall out of favor next year, when our lord and savior Zeitgeist finally returns.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I mean, that's what this whole thread has been about and why she should be in her own dimension instead of on 616 .
    I'll reiterate - it doesn't matter that Spider-Gwen was an AU in Into The Spider-Verse because she was presented as the Spider-Woman, no matter where she came from. Same now applies to the 616. If she weren't as popular and was competing in the 616 for the title of #1 Spider-Woman then sure, anything that differentiates her would be a positive. But thanks to her positioning in the family of Spider-Man books from solos to crossovers, backed up by her appearances across all media from cartoons to video games, she's easily takes the crown - and so doesn't need to be in her own dimension.
    Like, why would a company take their most popular female Spider-family superhero and isolate her away from the rest of the franchise? Makes zero business sense.

Academy Awards ain't what they used to be. Suicide Squad won an Academy Award (and that movie is terrible).
    For Best Makeup and Hairstyling!

I could do this all day Kev [/America's ass]
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-10-2019 at 09:48 PM.