Are you insane ?! That was a good 80's film

My choice Sucker Punch

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Streets Of Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Are you insane ?! That was a good 80's film

My choice Sucker Punch
    So was Strange Brew.

That doesn't mean that they were not fundamentally stupid films, at heart.

BANNED

Cameron's Space Pocahontas and Abraams's Star Trek Into Darkness which was nothing more than a The Wrath Of Khan remake and a very bad one at that.
    Almost everyone who played in it played like they were participating in a amateur school performance.

While I can't say I consider them stupid, I think the Star Wars prequels could fit on the list; very divisive as films, but the visuals are incredibly good, both in design and for telling the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I'll go with the obvious one.

Absolutely beautiful and briefly revived interest in 3D. The plot itself is utterly cliche and forgettable.
    I don't know; it was a dumb movie to be sure, but I didn't find the visuals to be anything to write home about; we've seen stuff on that scale before and since.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Tron: Legacy comes to mind.
    Ouch.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't know; it was a dumb movie to be sure, but I didn't find the visuals to be anything to write home about; we've seen stuff on that scale before and since.
    I have to ask if you saw it in 3D at the theaters. Because it was a technological breakthrough in 3D film making.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    While I can't say I consider them stupid, I think the Star Wars prequels could fit on the list; very divisive as films, but the visuals are incredibly good, both in design and for telling the story.
    I will give Phantom Menace credit for this: Naboo was a very pretty looking planet. I'd watch it again just for the visuals. Keep in mind, I hated the movie itself.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Oh Valerian...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Superman Returns. Basically a rehash of the first Superman film, right down to the musical score, but everyone in it sucked all to hell. To call Brandon Routh a poor man's Clark Kent would be an insult to indigent males; Kevin Spacey couldn't touch Gene Hackman's jock as Lex Luthor; and I don't even remember who played Lois Lane. Just a crapstorm all around.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-26-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unglaublich!

My choice Sucker Punch
    This. It is a jaw-droppingly gorgeous film, but the actual plot and execution of said plot... yeesh!

Retired

So was Strange Brew.

What's that you're saying? STRANGE BREW is deliberate in its appearance of being stupid, yet actually being quite clever. There are all kinds of jokes within jokes, references to other things, multiple levels of meaning, sight gags.

On top of that, the screen writer, Steve De Jarnatt, used the money he made from STRANGE BREW to film his magnum opus MIRACLE MILE.

Kill Bill, Valerian and most Star Wars movies made after 83.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I'll go with the obvious one.

Absolutely beautiful and briefly revived interest in 3D. The plot itself is utterly cliche and forgettable.

Avatar is the template for a thread like this.....I remember being amazed by the visuals but thinking the movie, itself, was just OK. I was excited to get the bluray, and when it finally came out I was bored to tears. It's almost unwatchable without that 3-D experience in the theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    This. It is a jaw-droppingly gorgeous film, but the actual plot and execution of said plot... yeesh!

Sounds like you just described Zack Snyder's entire filmography.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

So was Strange Brew.

Strange Brew is a different type of animal and falls in the likes of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or Dumb and Dumber, don't get me wrong I love those films but Streets of Fire was not in that kind of absurdity, if you thinks its a stupid film because of the one man vs an army .. well that's basically any general action film .. I don't see why Streets of Fire alone would fall in the stupid category.

Strange Brew is a different type of animal and falls in the likes of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or Dumb and Dumber, don't get me wrong I love those films but Streets of Fire was not in that kind of absurdity, if you thinks its a stupid film because of the one man vs an army .. well that's basically any general action film .. I don't see why Streets of Fire alone would fall in the stupid category.
    - They don't just say "Forget the reward...", and get Ellen out of the state.
    - Raven actually lets Tom leave The Battery in one piece.
    - Raven agrees to a "One On One..." fight instead of just burning things to the ground.
    - The Bombers actually honor Raven's deal.

It's all pretty stupid. Good, but stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What's that you're saying? STRANGE BREW is deliberate in its appearance of being stupid, yet actually being quite clever. There are all kinds of jokes within jokes, references to other things, multiple levels of meaning, sight gags.

On top of that, the screen writer, Steve De Jarnatt, used the money he made from STRANGE BREW to film his magnum opus MIRACLE MILE.
    While I would agree that the execution is not stupid, the movie is incredibly stupid.

The boys survive being underwater in a van by sucking the air out of beer bottles. That's stupid.

Again...

Good, but stupid.