Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Battleship, well, at least this scene;

From 2:15 on.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Superman Returns. Basically a rehash of the first Superman film, right down to the musical score, but everyone in it sucked all to hell. To call Brandon Routh a poor man's Clark Kent would be an insult to indigent males; Kevin Spacey couldn't touch Gene Hackman's jock as Lex Luthor; and I don't even remember who played Lois Lane. Just a crapstorm all around.
    I think this is probably the easiest one for me to propose without too much problem; everyone’s working their butts off to play and direct like they’re someone else, with the result being a facsimile of someone else’s work. It’s pretty, and I respect all the effort and skill put forth, but it’s just a bad conceptual basis for a film.

Also, since we’re allowed to bring in some Star Wars... The Last Jedi. Don’t get me wrong; if you think that Luke’s story is fantastic and smart and worthy of praise, I’m not talking bout that. I personally find that arc out of character and conceptually misplaced as the de facto focus of someone else’s film, but otherwise it’s well written and astoundingly well acted and directed. But 1) this *is* supposed to be Rey’s story, then Finn’s story, then Kylo’s story, then Luke’s story, and 2) absolutely everything outside of Luke’s story has severe logical flaws, contradictions, lack of perspective, and just some dumb, dumb storytelling.

Don’t try and tell me Rey’s story makes sense, with her ignoring what Kylo has done and who he is to swoon over his shirtless Neo-Nazi chest, experience no major growth, and act unmotivated in a way that makes no sense with TFA’s ending, because how could we possibly hold mind-rape, torture, mass murder and patricide against Kylo? Don’t try and tell me Finn’s story is well written, deep, or anywhere near the potential of the character; regressing the character to a coward for a five minute character arc before putting him and every other non-white character into pointless busywork is not going to amuse me. Kylo being re-envisioned as “half a protagonist” when the film only wants to keep the same largely static characterization because the writer and director are endorsed of an angstrom white boy and just can’t see him as a villain is pathetic. And the entire Space Chase is stupid. Holdo being written like a schizophrenic so we can try and deconstruct an ancillary character like Poe is bad in and of itself - the fact that the Chase never should happen and depends on the rules and possibilities changing every five seconds just makes it a waste of time.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    - They don't just say "Forget the reward...", and get Ellen out of the state.
    - Raven actually lets Tom leave The Battery in one piece.
    - Raven agrees to a "One On One..." fight instead of just burning things to the ground.
    - The Bombers actually honor Raven's deal.

It's all pretty stupid. Good, but stupid.
    I really don't want to argue every point ... So let me just say it wasn't really that gorgeous of a film

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    I really don't want to argue every point ... So let me just say it wasn't really that gorgeous of a film
    Let's just politely agree to disagree(it really is a beautiful film...)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Avatar to be sure. The Untouchables belongs nowhere near this list.
    Retracted. I was a jerk.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 06-28-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Top Gun. Nice flight scenes, idiotic plot.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Top Gun. Nice flight scenes, idiotic plot.
    LOL. apparently one of the navy pilots consulting the film was alleged to have complained "what is this? is it a movie about fighter pilot training or a damned musical? when do Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers show up?!?" I wish I had the source for that... but I don't. I think I remember reading about it somewhere on a military aviation forum years ago.

but even the flight scenes are kinda ridiculous. y'know, that famous scene where an F-14 is doing a barrel roll in the middle of a climb to avoid those tracers? well, tracers were typically one in ten or even every twenty shells for a cannon. so, what we probably should have seen instead is that F-14 getting shredded to pieces and exploding in a ball of fire. so... pretty much EVERYTHING about Top Gun was idiotic. sure, I loved it as a kid... but by the age of 14 I could count about a half-dozen different points in the film where major characters would have died. so.... yeah.

it's still not as idiotic as "Avatar"... but it could make for a distant second place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If you have no education in the history behind the story, your assertion holds up. Otherwise, you're fulla ****.
    I wasn't looking for a documentary, particularly that one because the story itself is pretty boring. I was looking for a smartly written, tightly plotted action thriller, and it's one of the best of the genre.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Michael Bay's Transformer Movies. The first one was tolerable, but the rest were mediocre to bad. The visual effects and fight scenes were fun to watch. Story was hot garbage

Ultimate Member

-Prometheus-Gorgeous looking movie, like most of Sir Ridley Scott's films are. But wow was it dumb.

-The Last Jedi-Look if you liked it, fair enough more power to you. But I thought that it was a dumb illogical mess of a film, but it sure looked pretty.

-The Rock-Ok when I say "dumb" here I mean that in the best way possible. It's a cheesy 90's action flick, but it's sure done WELL as a cheesy 90's action flick.

-Face/Off-Similar to The Rock.

-Batman (1989)-Fun flick, looks gorgeous, but pretty dumb in a lot of places when looking back.

You can put Michael Bay's whole career in that thread.

Ultimate Member

Yeah pretty much. Same with Roland Emmerich now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have to ask if you saw it in 3D at the theaters. Because it was a technological breakthrough in 3D film making.
    Nope, but still, visuals are visuals; 3-D is just another bell-and-whistle that won't save something from itself.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Don’t try and tell me...
    Okay, I won't, then.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I wasn't looking for a documentary, particularly that one because the story itself is pretty boring. I was looking for a smartly written, tightly plotted action thriller, and it's one of the best of the genre.
    Fair point. The scene on the Canadian border crashed it for me.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah pretty much. Same with Roland Emmerich now that I think about it.
    By the by, he's got a new one coming out soon, a remake of Midway.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!