Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    It's what I'm saying, as an overall sequence goes, it has.... problems. I'm sketchy thereby on the idea of using it for much. You can try to extract Doomsday from it all? But eeech. I would say you have enough to put forward for him from H/P.
    Ehh the probes had enough going for them even accounting for all the inconsistency, like they were blowing up planets, creating black holes

The DD thing for me, is good enough because the last time we saw him he was soloing the JLA and he shows up for basically one issue here on a path of destruction so much so that Darkseid and others later try to clone as a weapon because of how destructive he was.

And even on the Superman thing, he wasn't doing that on raw strength alone like DD but by combining his powers, phasing and such

But mostly, it's all of a single issue, and consistent from his last couple of appearances of being a very high tier brick. It's not like all of OWAW should be unusable...

And even on the Superman thing, he wasn't doing that on raw strength alone like DD but by combining his powers, phasing and such
    Given what happened to a different guy who could have totally combined his powers, phasing and such.. ;p

But mostly, it's all of a single issue, and consistent from his last couple of appearances of being a very high tier brick. It's not like all of OWAW should be unusable...
    I'll put it like this, given how OWAW treats the Super connected characters, it's difficult to view Doomsday as being isolated from that. The only thing Doomsday gets by comparison is that at least he had H/P to give him some groundwork. But even that becomes a "then just use H/P, it has no problems like this by comparison".

Ehh the probes had enough going for them even accounting for all the inconsistency, like they were blowing up planets, creating black holes
    Basically the probes feel like they were mostly however powerful enough in a given situation to make a required character look good/look bad so another character would look better by comparison. Loeb (and to a lesser extent Joe Kelley) ultimately only has one way to write a plotline/character he's favouring, and you see it later in the exact same way when he's trying to build up Red Hulk (and thus ultimately the Hulk), for instance. You can pretty much just trade out "whoever is currently the favourite, and the characters that are connected to them" into his playbook. He only has the one.

Just to add: the probes were destroying chunks of solar systems with prep and machines. All the planet demolishing black hole stuff wasnt just them flaring out power and doing the thing.

Mostly they were more presented as team busters requiring big sacrifice plays to defeat. With some... obvious exceptions.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 07-02-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Laundering... lol
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Given what happened to a different guy who could have totally combined his powers, phasing and such.. ;p
    Hey! Manhunter was totally defeated OFF PANEL! ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE OFF PANEL!!

*proceeds to fill in the blanks with complicated fan fiction head canon*
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Hey! Manhunter was totally defeated OFF PANEL! ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE OFF PANEL!!

Someone gave him a truck full of oreos, and he threw the fight.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

Yeah for that kind of character it isn't super helpful to solidify things. If Doc Manhattan has to appear and punk several notable Green Lanterns and as many other powerhouses that could fit the same issue, it helps that it's also shown there that forcefield containing the planet they were in was a matter of course thing they could do before any conflict started.