Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rank the Mad Max movies

This is it. According to your taste and movie parameters.
    They are 4 masterpieces regardless. This is one of the ultra-rare franchises where each installment is different from each other, and every movie is a supreme triumph in its own way.

Anyway, my chart:

1- Mad Max: Fury Road
    2- Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
    3- Mad Max 2 (also known as "The Road Warrior" in USA)
    4- Mad Max
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-28-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Mighty Member

As an Aussie kid growing up in the 80's you just couldn't escape the MM films. The Ford Coupe Max uses is like the "lowrider" of Australia with fan clubs and zines published about it.

MY chart,

1 - MM2/Road Warrior
    1. Mad max
    3.- Thunderdome. Saw this at the flicks in 1985. Myself and the audience were disappointed how it started off well but nosedived when he meets the kids. The PG rating watered down the savage humour of the first two films.
    4. Fury Road

Me:

1: Mad Max.
    2: Fury Road.
    3: Mad Max 2 Road Warrior.
    4: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Honorable Mention to Doomsday just a fun dumb movie good cast obviously a Mad Max wannabe.

1. Fury Road
    2. Road Warrior
    3. Mad Max
    4. Thunderdome

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

1. Fury Road
    2. Road Warrior
    3. Thunderdome
    4. Mad Max

...But I love them all.

My ranking

1)madmax RW
    2) madmax FR
    3) madmax TD
    4) madmax
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-28-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

For me, personally, I rate them as follows -

1) Mad Max 2 (One of the greatest sequels ever made. Period. Improves upon the original in every single way.)
    2) Mad Max (Without it, we wouldn't have the others. Also really captures the breakdown in law and order. If Australian society truly broke down, this is a feasible situation that could really happen. 80 - 85% of our population is located within 50km along the coasts. The outback is miles upon miles of open road and not much in the way of civilization.)
    3) Mad Max Fury Road(A great action film, no doubt. But suffers from basically being MM 2 on steroids.)
    4) Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Suffers from trying to be two different films and wasn't focused enough. Understandable since Kennedy died prior to filming while on location scouting. Gets points for a killer soundtrack, though. Oh, and Angry Anderson as Ironbar.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    What do you mean timelines? It's just one timeline and one universe.

FURY ROAD is a "reimagining". An alternate universe. It's confirmed, official.
    Also, details on-screen prove that.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-28-2019 at 06:44 PM.

1) Fury Road Road Warrior on steroids
    2) Mad Max 2 Insane automotive carnage
    3) Mad Max Dated, but oppressive and vicious
    4) Beyond Thunderdome Gibson mullet and child actors

There are enough inconsistancies between each of the stories that they basically only work as different myths of a folklore character, along the lines of Robin Hood. I mean, Tom Hardy would have to have to be way older than Furiosa for her to have been born in the wasteland.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    There are enough inconsistancies between each of the stories that they basically only work as different myths of a folklore character, along the lines of Robin Hood. I mean, Tom Hardy would have to have to be way older than Furiosa for her to have been born in the wasteland.
    There are no inconsistencies inbetween the first 3 movies.

"Fury Road" is an alternate timeline. Max is 37 years old.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-28-2019 at 06:45 PM.

BANNED

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is among the most visionary movies of all time. Brilliant, epic and mindblowing.
    Not for everyone, even.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I dislike the "reimagining" explanation, even if it is official, and so choose to fanwank it in my headcanon. The time factors given make it impossible for this to be the Max from the first 3 films, but only if you choose to think about it much.

I rate them so -

1) Mad Max 2 This was the perfect response to the original and it surpassed it. How you do a sequel - show world progression, crank the action up to 11, and include guys with names like "The Humungus"
    2) Mad Max Just a great story that did a great job setting things up and showing an Australian society gone haywire in a truly Australian fashion. If it were done today there would be more bong smoking. But for the time, it was perfect.
    3) Mad Max Fury Road When I saw this film originally I felt it was pretty vapid, and still do. But its hard to say no to Hardy and Theron's performances. Plus - see "how to do a sequel" from my review of Mad Max 2. This one had "Guitar Flamethrower Guy"! Can't say no to that.
    4) Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome Its real downfall was having too many cute kids. But I still really like most of the film.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mad Max 2
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Mad Max
    Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    FURY ROAD is a "reimagining". An alternate universe. It's confirmed, official.
    Also, details on-screen prove that.
    It's all the same continuity. The comic adaptation establishes that. The basis for Fury Road was originally written when it was assumed Mel would be returning. He has the Interceptor in Fury Road because he had been reassembling it in order to get some of his sanity back. The years of isolation in the wasteland had finally driven him to complete and utter madness. So much so, he had regressed to a primal/feral state.

Fury Road was meant to be the character's swan song. But due to Gibson's tarnished image (which is bullshit as other actors have done worse and been forgiven), and the fact that they had come to the realization they had further story ideas while writing the script for Fury Road, it was changed.

Max comes from a time when there was still some resemblance of a society left. Fury Road establishes it has been 12000 plus days since the first bombs in the nuclear war had dropped (when he is getting tattooed by The War Boys). Yet Max appears to be in his mid to late 30s. He should be in his 50s at the very least. Which would make him the same age as the old lady in the Vuvalini.

There are enough inconsistencies between the films so that each is presented as a different tale of the same character. Yet there is enough continuity there to establish a clear timeline. Just depends on your poison which avenue you choose to follow.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-28-2019 at 06:45 PM.