Mighty Member

Default How would YOU have saved your fave comics from cancellation?

Harley Quinn (early 2000's) : have a separate Poison Ivy series that crosses over into the HQ book. The title becomes Harley & Ivy a 'la Power Man and Iron Fist!

Impulse : make World Without Young Justice happen earlier, more Flash and Young Justice cross-overs (plain clothed YJ hang out with Bart and his friends in Manchester, a mother daughter battle with Arrowette and her mum vs. White lightening and her mum occurs)

and YOUR rescue dreams?

Batwoman (2011): let Williams and Blackman tell their story without editorial interference.

Nightwing (1996): continued Dick’s life in Bludhaven. 100 issues spent worldbuilding Bludhaven and then they have Dick leave. For me, the series became less interesting when that happened.

Sandman Mystery Theatre & Gotham Central: IMO, there was nothing wrong with these series story wise. Don’t know how I would’ve saved them from cancellation. Just wish they lasted longer.
    Last edited by Twice-named; 06-25-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Batwoman (2011): let Williams and Blackman tell their story without editorial interference.

Nightwing (1996): continued Dick’s life in Bludhaven. 100 issues spent worldbuilding Bludhaven and then they have Dick leave. For me, the series became less interesting when that happened.
    Completely agree with BOTH of these.
    I also would have LOVED to have read Marc Andreyko's Manhunter for another 5 years at least.
    I bought copies and gave them away to anyone interested in giving the book a go. I did up a flier and distributed it at the local comic shop.
    It was a great book that for some reason the mainstream readers didn't latch onto.
    I'm SO glad to see Kate back now.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Blue Beetle and Booster Gold's original post-Crisis runs ended around the same time. The most natural thing to do would be to make them into a Blue & Gold comic and capitalize on the JLI momentum of the moment. The fact the duo still have never had their own book is mindboggling to me.

Ordway's The Power of SHAZAM! - I'd give Black Adam a bit more to do in the series. In addition: it would have been interesting to see interactions between the Marvel Family & the Teen Titans, especially since Freddy was a member of the Titans and Mary was a supporting character in Peter David's Supergirl.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Legion of Superheroes - When the Nu52 started I would have taken Paul Levitz off the book and given it to a new writer. Someone fresh who liked the Legion and had some good ideas. Levitz could stay on Adventure Comics and told his Legion Academy stories.

Batwoman (volume II) I would have spent the entire first arc in Gotham, building up the mystery of "what happened during the missing year", so there was interest in that storyline. I would have maintained Jacob and Bette as supporting characters during the later arcs, so the entire series didn't feel so disconnected from Gotham and the Bat-verse.

JSA (volume II) I would have nixed the last bunch of members who were all non-legacy. I would have reduced the headcount on the new and made sure they were all somehow legacy characters (even if brand new). And when the idea was tossed out about making Alan Scott a literal physical lantern, I would have done the same thing Deadpool did to Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool 2.
    Wait, JSA vol. II was only cancelled because of Flashpoint you say?....WELL IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IT WAS A TRAIN WRECK!!!!

LSH (nu52 edition) I would have given the new members less page time up front, in order to build up interest in the new characters. They dominated the book from day one, when nobody cared about them yet.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Heroes Threeboot

Get someone experienced to convince Mark Waid (who is a great writer) that you can make the Legionnaires somewhat rebellious, but at the end of the day, they still have to be likeable. And pay Barry Kitson the moon to stay on the book. His art style was perfect for the Legion.

Low sales is one thing. Because, though it may be a tough pill to swallow, not enough people share your opinion that it deserves to keep running for the time being.

However, when its cancelled for other reasons, well, yeah. I'll do what I can to protect it.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Tell Dan Didio "no"?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Tell Dan Didio "no"?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Amen. Hallelujah.

"Batman and the Legion of Super-Heroes"

"Batman's Power Company"

"Batman & The Vigilante"

etc

etc....

Extraordinary Member

Red Robin and Batgirl (Pre-New 52)

Try to find a way to (successfully) argue to Dan Didio that the Red Robin book with FabNic and Marcus To is still enough of a guaranteed hit that it should just continue into the New 52... and still under the Bat office, *not* under the short-lived Young Justice line that died a painful death. And then when he freaks out about Stephanie Brown still existing, bribe him somehow to allow her to simply become Spoiler again and have Brian Q. Miller write a Spoiler and Black Bat book.

Not going to lie, most of this is about trying to find a way to convince Didio to just not view characters in a strictly marketing sense where he sees “redundancy” everywhere he looks.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Constant promotion
    Not just sell it at LCS but also in regular book stores
    No stories requiring decades of continuity to read
    Trades that include the issues in a crossover or a direction where to read next
    A clear reading order