Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is your opinon on Vampirella?

So I have had a few friends say Vampi shouldn't have her own series since she was never a full character. More of a storyteller. Which never made sense. I mean she had her own stories in her first publishing company. I mean are the Vampirella runs from Dynamite bad?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So I have had a few friends say Vampi shouldn't have her own series since she was never a full character. More of a storyteller. Which never made sense. I mean she had her own stories in her first publishing company. I mean are the Vampirella runs from Dynamite bad?
    I mean, she has had her bad runs, just like most comic characters, but for the most part she has had some really interesting and great stories. I know she can be kinda a cheesecake character, which is why it took me so long to get into her (I'ma gay man and that didn't really appeal to me haha), but I was glad when I started pick up her Dynamite stuff. She is an interesting and strong female character, with good stories and under the right writer can really shine. Nancy Collins run on her has been my favorite yet, but I'm looking forward to this new run from Priest and her team-up ongoing with Red Sonja.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I've read my fair share of Vampirella under the pens of many different writers, and artists. Generally speaking, I think she feels like a significantly different character in almost every separate title. Sometimes I like it, and sometimes I don't but that's usually down to the simple question as to if I like the creative team or not. If I do, then I find that I can appreciate Vampirella. When I don't like the creative team, I probably won't enjoy their current reinvention.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I really hope it's the alien origin that returns. I felt it was a stand out from the vampire genre.

I really hope it's the alien origin that returns. I felt it was a stand out from the vampire genre.
    Seems like it is, kinda. Priest talks about her being an alien in one of the interviews, I believe. But he also talks about a Wizard too, so it looks like a healthy mix.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.

Vampi does have a cousin who is a wizard. I hope we see her twin sister more.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I was a longtime fan when she was in the Warren magazine comics. And while I haven't been happy with her characterizations or stories there-after, I'm tentatively looking forward to this new series, enough to have pre-ordered the first few issues...we'll see, I guess.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Were any of your "friends" buying the Warren magazine issues when they came out back in the 1970s?

In the few/infrequent issues I bought and read back then, she had her own feature where the story was about her. Then there were several other stories in the same issue where she may have been acting as a narrator, but she had always had the lead feature to herself.

The very early issues were done in the style of old EC horror anthologies, with Vampi as the hostess, but that lasted less than a year.

I'll be honest, I've never actually had anybody explain to me what the premise of Vampirella is. All I know the character for is the costume, and it isn't really my sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I'll be honest, I've never actually had anybody explain to me what the premise of Vampirella is. All I know the character for is the costume, and it isn't really my sort of thing.
    Trust me, I understand. As a gay male the costume was not my thing, but then I gave the series and shot and saw that she was more then that costume and owned it.

Basically, it's about a woman who came here from a dying planet, as their food source (natural blood rivers) have run dry. While on earth she fights the supernatural, and non-supernatural, and lives her life. She doesn't age and needs to feed sometime, most of the time using synthetic blood, evil people or willing people. While shes not a vampire, she is seen as one due to our earth having them for a very, very long time (Vampis mother is sometimes Lilith, the first vampire), however the normal things that hurt vampires don't hurt her (sun, holy water..exc). She has made many allies and fights with them sometimes. And she is overall a kick butt woman, who is bi/pansexual and owns her looks and uses it to fight evil.

I always recommend trying out Nancy Collins run from Dynamite, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 06-30-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Pulls:

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Were any of your "friends" buying the Warren magazine issues when they came out back in the 1970s?

In the few/infrequent issues I bought and read back then, she had her own feature where the story was about her. Then there were several other stories in the same issue where she may have been acting as a narrator, but she had always had the lead feature to herself.
    I remember seeing those Warren books in all my news stands/candy stores. I loved all the Spanish artists that drew her were absolutely phenomenal. Don't remember the stories at all. The artwork was just glorious.

Everything that is not Warren related to her, I can't be bothered with it.

Spectacular Member

The Vampirella I know is from the Harris Comics run. Nothing after that has been better.

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    The Vampirella I know is from the Harris Comics run. Nothing after that has been better.
    Boy, are you in for treat if you go after the Warren stuff. Vampirella in black & white is always the best decision. Google Vampirella Warren artwork. If that doesn't move you to seek it then ignore me forevermore.

I hope this new series is going to help Vampi more than hurt her. Let's hope there won't be a new reboot anytime soon