Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like Vampirella quite a bit. I have a few of the Warren archives, and while they are EXTREMELY dated in many ways (duh) they are also a lot of fun and the artwork is generally fantastic. As always with these types of things, the basics of the old school origins always seem to be the best. I prefer her as an alien from Drakulon, the retoolings after that seem like needless convoluted nonsense. I'm glad Priest is re-instating the Drakulon origin, but it seems strange that Lilith is still mentioned as her mother. I wonder how he will reconcile that? Maybe Lilith is actually a denizen of Drakulon and she is the basis for our myths of the Biblical Lilith?

It also seems he's keeping her full history and she actually debuted in the 1960s. It will be cool if he has references to her old school supporting cast while working with his new ones. I also hope the Blood Red Queen of Hearts makes an appearance along with other old Chaos Cult characters.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I like Vampirella quite a bit. I have a few of the Warren archives, and while they are EXTREMELY dated in many ways (duh) they are also a lot of fun and the artwork is generally fantastic. As always with these types of things, the basics of the old school origins always seem to be the best. I prefer her as an alien from Drakulon, the retoolings after that seem like needless convoluted nonsense. I'm glad Priest is re-instating the Drakulon origin, but it seems strange that Lilith is still mentioned as her mother. I wonder how he will reconcile that? Maybe Lilith is actually a denizen of Drakulon and she is the basis for our myths of the Biblical Lilith?

It also seems he's keeping her full history and she actually debuted in the 1960s. It will be cool if he has references to her old school supporting cast while working with his new ones. I also hope the Blood Red Queen of Hearts makes an appearance along with other old Chaos Cult characters.
    It looks like Priest is mixing her alien and supernatural origins. Like maybe Lilith is the mother of all supernatural Vampires on earth, but she was also somehow able to get to Drakulon and give birth to Vampi. Or maybe Lilith thinks she is Vampi's mom cause the Alien thing doesn't make sense to her, and since Vampi is on earth, she must be one of hers? It will be interesting to see.

But I like that Priest is not excluding anything from before, cause, while Nancy's run was more supernatural, it also was one of my favorite runs.

And I agree, I would love to see Blood Red Queen of Hearts return. She was in that Vampi/Hack and Slash mini, and I loved it!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    It looks like Priest is mixing her alien and supernatural origins. Like maybe Lilith is the mother of all supernatural Vampires on earth, but she was also somehow able to get to Drakulon and give birth to Vampi. Or maybe Lilith thinks she is Vampi's mom cause the Alien thing doesn't make sense to her, and since Vampi is on earth, she must be one of hers? It will be interesting to see.

But I like that Priest is not excluding anything from before, cause, while Nancy's run was more supernatural, it also was one of my favorite runs.

And I agree, I would love to see Blood Red Queen of Hearts return. She was in that Vampi/Hack and Slash mini, and I loved it!
    I liked Nancy's run too, I hope there are some references to it. Like she was kind of stuck with the "daughter of Lilith" origin but still made it work and did some interesting stuff with it, like making Cain her father. Revamping Tristan as a werewolf was cool too, and it'd be neat if both he and the classic Drakulon Tristan were both canon.

I need to get that Hack/Slash crossover as well, but it might be in one of the big omnibuses.

I know that Lilith is still the mother of Vampi. She pops up in the second issue. I wonder if we will see Vampis other family. She has a twin sister and a cousin

Vampirella's struggle to deal with the complex emotional consequences of a major disaster caused by her enemies is exacerbated by an unexpected visit from her mother, Lilith, with whom Vampi has a complicated relationship. But has the Mother of All Vampires come to help or destroy her daughter? And will Vampirella's hapless therapist survive the encounter?

I'm not too familiar with Vampriella, my only real experience to the character was two of the most recent series with her, the Hollywood Horror one by Kate Leth, and the post-apocalyptic one where she gets a girlfriend by Paul Cornell & Jeremy Whitley, and I actually really enjoyed those. I've heard they're mostly outliers in the grander scheme of the character and series, so I'm not sure how I would feel about the others, but at these two interpretations really appealed to me.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I liked Nancy's run too, I hope there are some references to it. Like she was kind of stuck with the "daughter of Lilith" origin but still made it work and did some interesting stuff with it, like making Cain her father. Revamping Tristan as a werewolf was cool too, and it'd be neat if both he and the classic Drakulon Tristan were both canon.

I need to get that Hack/Slash crossover as well, but it might be in one of the big omnibuses.
    I would love to see what Priest could do with Tristan. I know Priest is a fantastic writer, and when not bogged down by editors, can do some amazing things. So I trust him with these characters.

Would love to see Panthra again, most of all. Nancy had some plans for her, but never got to it. So I would love to see her return. I always liked her.

And I don't think it is, i own most of the big omnibuses, and unless it is and I just didn't notice, which is 100 possible haha, I think you will just have to get is as a trade. I liked it a lot so I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I know that Lilith is still the mother of Vampi. She pops up in the second issue. I wonder if we will see Vampis other family. She has a twin sister and a cousin
    Hmm, that's a good question. I guess it depends on his plans for Lilith. Her sister was used in Nancy's run, and had a fantastic cover, if I recall right.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I'm not too familiar with Vampriella, my only real experience to the character was two of the most recent series with her, the Hollywood Horror one by Kate Leth, and the post-apocalyptic one where she gets a girlfriend by Paul Cornell & Jeremy Whitley, and I actually really enjoyed those. I've heard they're mostly outliers in the grander scheme of the character and series, so I'm not sure how I would feel about the others, but at these two interpretations really appealed to me.
    While those series were different, though I loved them, I think you may want to give Priest's run a try when it comes out. Just like Cornell, Priest has some pretty out there writing sometimes, which makes for a very interesting story. So this too seems like it may feel just as different, though familiar, just like those two runs.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Incredible Member

I only read the Steve Engelhardt issues for Warren - which were extremely bland - I imagine one of those characters you have to persevere with to find the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    I only read the Steve Engelhardt issues for Warren - which were extremely bland - I imagine one of those characters you have to persevere with to find the gold.
    I haven't read TOO many, but I'd say the Archie Goodwin and Gerry Bordeau issues are good.

What do you guys think about the new series?

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Pretty decent start for far, I'm not at all familiar with the character but Priest's writing is gonna take some getting used to. Also, I kinda have a pretty huge gripe with the art. It's not bad per-say but it's rubs me the wrong way. Like the artist uses references of real people too much.

BANNED

I haven't read the issue yet but I saw a scan on bleedingcool with a character using the N word.

It's kind of weird. Here you have a writer, Christopher Priest, that says that he's not going to write books with Black characters as leads because he doesn't want to be pigeon holed as a 'Black writer'. But in the first issue of Vampirella he uses the N word which is something that only a 'Black writer' can get away with.

True than again I think he was going for a old school kind of character so I guess that's why he choice this word. I don't know he uses Nergo not the N word. I have never heard Negro being had in the modern day

On another note what Do you guys think about the Archie crossover being extended

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I never tried Vampirella until Dynamite first got her. I read the first 12 issues of that initial run and found it to be decent entertainment but after a year decided it wasn't "must read" fare for me.
    Granted I don't have anything to compare the Dynamite run to so her long runs from other places may change my mind but I've not gone down that trail yet and probably won't for some time.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm a fan, a lesser fan, but I enjoyed Vampirella in the Warren mags of days of yore and found them very nice to look at, and surprisingly good to read. Since then, haven't read any Vampirella stories; lack of interest in the characterization or setting as portrayed in previews. With that groundwork, I was disappointed in the new series' first issue: felt it was 'all over the place' pictorially, and even worse so in the telling. If I knew nothing about the character before this, I'd've found nothing to attract me: no character, no interactions of meaningful nature, no...no story! Perhaps as the opening pages of a much longer story, this might work: but as a first issue of a new series, with the 30-day wait between this and anything further... just didn't work for me. Signed up for the first three issues, but doubt I'll bother with any further unless things change radically in the next two issues.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet