Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default Create Your Own Twelve

As we reach the 20th anniversary of this monumental dud of a story, let’s create our own Twelve, since the “originals” didn’t make a bit of sense. One rule: you can only use Mutants that were created at that point. Explain your choices. You can resurrect Mutants who were dead at the time, but give a good reason why they’re included.

BE11DFFA-3B2B-4EF2-A2A7-96564C9EDB0E.jpg
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

The original Twelve were twelve powerful mutants that Apocalypse needed for him to ascend to godhood.

Polaris and Magneto represented the opposing magnetic poles
    Storm, Iceman and Sunfire represented the elements of nature;
    Cyclops, Jean, and Cable represented the unity of family (Father, Mother and Child)
    Bishop and Mikhail represented the control over time and space
    Xavier represented the power of mind
    The Living Monolith represented the core.

I have a question: was it ever explained how or why Franklin Richards was no longer one of "The Twelve"?

I remember reading an old issue of X-Factor where Franklin's name was mentioned. After the events of Onslaught/Heroes Reborn, I thought Franklin was going to have a somewhat prominent role in the X-Men. But when Marvel finally did their "Apocalypse Twelve" story-line, Franklin was nowhere in sight.

I sincerely hope someone can help solve my quandary.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 06-26-2019 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

The Twelve was kind of like Hickman’s Human Machine, but kind of lacking in high-minded pretentiousness and snazzy diagrams. Why are the 90s so popular again?

I would choose;

4 Elements:
    Earth: Rictor
    Water: Namor
    Fire: Firestar
    Air: Storm

Past and Future:
    Past: Ozymandias
    Future: Cable

4 Cardinal directions:
    North: Northstar
    East: Collective Man
    South: Ka-zar
    West: Scalphunter

Inner earth: Magma
    Outer space: Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    I would choose;

4 Elements:
    Earth: Rictor
    Water: Namor
    Fire: Firestar
    Air: Storm

Past and Future:
    Past: Ozymandias
    Future: Cable

4 Cardinal directions:
    North: Northstar
    East: Collective Man
    South: Ka-zar
    West: Scalphunter

Inner earth: Magma
    Outer space: Phoenix
    Ka-zar is not a mutant, also which Phoenix are you referring to Jean, Rachel or the turkey?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Ka-zar is not a mutant, also which Phoenix are you referring to Jean, Rachel or the turkey?
    Odin's boyfriend,james howlet.

Having read the issues of The Twelve after reading Alan Davis’ Excalibur, I can tell you that even at the time, I recognized Davis’ mutant-power-assembly concept, used far more cheaply this time.

A proper “The Twelve” storyline would’ve been the ending for the “President Sabretooth” idea I had a year or so ago.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4135347
    The original “faces of leadership” would actually lead an assault on the US government + Sentinels.

BANNED

THE REAL X-MEN:

Professor X
    Magneto

Cyclops
    Wolverine
    Storm
    Colossus
    Nightcrawler
    Banshee
    Phoenix
    Beast
    Havok
    Polaris

Storm- She controls the primal forces of nature.
    Jean- She has the power of the mind and matter.
    Polaris- Magnetism that has been hinted at to have more potential than magneto.
    Dazzler- As she controls the power of sound/light.
    Cyclops- He produces a continous force of other dimensional energy.
    NEhzno- His strength knows no limits as of right now and he no longer feels pain meaning he could be a perfect anchor.
    Sage- She can unlock the latent potential in mutants.
    Bishop- can absorb and redirect an unspecified amount of energy, holding it all together.
    Lila Chaney- She has the power of intergalactic teleportation.
    Rictor- The power to control earth itself.
    Copycat- She is a metamorph and change is a needed constant.
    Illiyana- She is a mutant with great magical powers.

I feel those twelve together could literally do anything, including creating a world if they wanted.
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-26-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I think a properly reworked Twelve concept could be the "Endgame" of the X/FF MCU. Slowly built up over many films, with Apocalypse himself introduced, let's say half way through, seemingly defeated, but he's actually just retreating to regroup towards his actual final goal.

I would use:

Franklin Richards- originally teased as one of the Twelve long ago, and his power of reality warping definitely fits the bill of Omega level threat. He is the child of the future.

Gateway- most people do not understand his true potential. An omniscient master of the Dreamtime, he can teleport through space and time, and astral project himself or others. He is the elder of the past.

Magneto- electromagnetism, a fundamental force of creation.

Xorn- his powers/backstory are so mixed up, but I'll focus on gravity, a fundamental force of creation.

Sunspot- absorbs, stores and channels solar power, we'll call him the weak nuclear force.

Bishop- absorbs, stores and channels all power, we'll call him the strong nuclear force.

Monet- the perfect mutant: strong, fast, tough, smart, and psionic. The host body of creation.

Jean Grey- psionic abilities at the nth degree.

Haven- mother of destruction, I might even rename her Kali-Ma(and tweak her a bit to be a mutant herself, with all the power her child had).

Scarlet Witch- chaos magic at the quantum level. Infinite potential.

Karma- possession of all minds.

Storm- mistress of the elements.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Having read the issues of The Twelve after reading Alan Davis’ Excalibur, I can tell you that even at the time, I recognized Davis’ mutant-power-assembly concept, used far more cheaply this time.
    I feel like the whole 'mutants combine their powers' thing is actually a throw back to the last original X-Men story where Xavier uses all the X-Men to harness and focus all the good psionic willpower of the world against the Z'Noxx aliens. Of course Giant Sized used it again soon thereafter, and it was used a few times in the Claremont era too(like when they saved Arkon's planet). It's a clunky, very Silver-Age kinda thing, but it works.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

[SIZE=3]The original Twelve were twelve powerful mutants that Apocalypse needed for him to ascend to godhood.
    When the concept was first introduced it had nothing to do with Apocalypse gaining godhood. It was the 12 mutants who were or would become the main leaders of mutantkind in the future. I like that angle much more and wish they had run with it instead of doing that lame Apocalypse story where they turned Apocalyspe into body jumping leach. If you were going by the mutants who would rise up to lead mutantkind I would go with:

Cyclops
    Cannonball
    Franklin Richards
    Jean Grey
    Storm
    Mystique
    Exodus
    Surge
    Cable
    Bishop
    Xavier
    Magneto

These are all people who have show the ability to inspire and lead others. They should not always get along though and have different views on how to handle things instead of always being on the same page.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

The original Twelve were twelve powerful mutants that Apocalypse needed for him to ascend to godhood.

Polaris and Magneto represented the opposing magnetic poles
    Storm, Iceman and Sunfire represented the elements of nature;
    Cyclops, Jean, and Cable represented the unity of family (Father, Mother and Child)
    Bishop and Mikhail represented the control over time and space
    Xavier represented the power of mind
    The Living Monolith represented the core.
    Yes, I know. I was there for the original cues as well as the storyline from 2000.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I really hated how they tied the Twelve to Apocalypse and basically revealed it was a ruse all along. It could have had such a cool, epic payoff. I'm less concerned about the identity of the Twelve than I am about their actual purpose. I don't recall either Louise Simonson or Chris Claremont ever explaining what their plan for that particular concept was?

I always figured they had something to do with the Days of Future Past reality - perhaps bringing down the Sentinels once and for all? What with the Master Mold connection and also Franklin Richards' involvement having been heavily teased.