Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    You do realize the whole building and controlling Bat-Drones wasn't treated as a good thing, Right? Nor was him living alone in his secluded mansion with only a dog for company in Batman Beyond
    Who said anything about Batman every really having a 'happy ending'? It fits the personality and motivations that we've been presented with over the years. With the ultra obsessed Bat-jerk... he doesn't get a happy ending. He dies in an alley to stray bullet... or gets old and bitter when even he can't live up to his own standards.

Sometimes a happy ending is a disservice to the character.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Who said anything about Batman every really having a 'happy ending'? It fits the personality and motivations that we've been presented with over the years. With the ultra obsessed Bat-jerk... he doesn't get a happy ending. He dies in an alley to stray bullet... or gets old and bitter when even he can't live up to his own standards.

Sometimes a happy ending is a disservice to the character.
    Well I don't care for "Bat-Jerk", I prefer it when the comics remember he has a sense of humanity, where they know that at his core, He's just a man who doesn't want to see anyone else die, when he says the day he can hang up his cape and stay home is the day he's working towards.

The 70's Batman as written by the likes of Denny O'Neil, Len Wein and Steve Englehart is one I can easily see as having a happy ending. It's all academic of course because the nature of Comics as a medium means he'll never stay retired for very long but I don't see how it's a "disservice" either. If anything it's a sign of maturity to gracefully walk away from the role rather than use technology to try and find a way to be Batman into his twilight years

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    Well I don't care for "Bat-Jerk", I prefer it when the comics remember he has a sense of humanity, where they know that at his core, He's just a man who doesn't want to see anyone else die, when he says the day he can hang up his cape and stay home is the day he's working towards.

The 70's Batman as written by the likes of Denny O'Neil, Len Wein and Steve Englehart is one I can easily see as having a happy ending. It's all academic of course because the nature of Comics as a medium means he'll never stay retired for very long but I don't see how it's a "disservice" either. If anything it's a sign of maturity to gracefully walk away from the role rather than use technology to try and find a way to be Batman into his twilight years
    And let's not forget that time he DID retire from crime fighting as a vigilante. Since back in the 1970's DC comics when he became old and his wife (Selina) died. So, it really isn't the first time let alone a new concept that Bruce retires (and certainly not something someone should freak out over when it happens) and it won't be the last that happens either.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    When Robin showed up, he took on a more fatherly role and the comics became more kid-central and there was the occasional fishing/camping trip or watching a movie or doing generally relaxing stuff did happen more. When the cops need him and that spotlight goes on... he would never turn his back on it.
    When Robin showed up?

You make it sound like Robin took decades to become part of the mythos instead of having his first appearance in April 1941 before Catwoman and the Joker.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    When Robin showed up?

You make it sound like Robin took decades to become part of the mythos instead of having his first appearance in April 1941 before Catwoman and the Joker.
    That’s 1940.

Retired

If you read the 1939 stories--edited by Vin Sullivan--there's a very different feel to the comics than when Robin shows up and Whitney Ellsworth is editor. This primordial Batman, the creature of the night, seems to be the character that a lot of people think he was meant to be. Of course it was less than a year--only eleven issues of DETECTIVE--but that Batman seems to have made a big impression on people, even though none of the other stuff existed at that time (no Robin, no costumed villains, no Batcave, no Alfred).

What if Batman was successful in eliminating all crime? Wouldn't he be able to retire then? I asked this on the Superman forum in relation to the 1960s Superman-Red/Superman-Blue story--where crime is wiped out. I could also imagine some other event in a what if future, which would make Batman redundant. With the advancement of police techniques and criminology, a lot of what Batman used to do no longer makes sense. Why would Batman steal evidence from a crime scene and take it to his small lab, when there's a whole institution devoted to that work? There's any one of many scenarios that could make Batman unnecessary--and he would just be in the way of serious-minded professionals. I think at that point, you should be good to Bruce Wayne and allow him a nice life with his family and friends.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    That’s 1940.
    You're right, my bad.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you read the 1939 stories--edited by Vin Sullivan--there's a very different feel to the comics than when Robin shows up and Whitney Ellsworth is editor. This primordial Batman, the creature of the night, seems to be the character that a lot of people think he was meant to be. Of course it was less than a year--only eleven issues of DETECTIVE--but that Batman seems to have made a big impression on people, even though none of the other stuff existed at that time (no Robin, no costumed villains, no Batcave, no Alfred).

What if Batman was successful in eliminating all crime? Wouldn't he be able to retire then? I asked this on the Superman forum in relation to the 1960s Superman-Red/Superman-Blue story--where crime is wiped out. I could also imagine some other event in a what if future, which would make Batman redundant. With the advancement of police techniques and criminology, a lot of what Batman used to do no longer makes sense. Why would Batman steal evidence from a crime scene and take it to his small lab, when there's a whole institution devoted to that work? There's any one of many scenarios that could make Batman unnecessary--and he would just be in the way of serious-minded professionals. I think at that point, you should be good to Bruce Wayne and allow him a nice life with his family and friends.
    I think Legends of the Dark Knight (2012-2015) #33 gave the best and most in character answer to this question.

Who is the OP made-up "quoting"?
    Stories have always been told where Batman retires, and passes the mantle, in "imaginary" tales, once alt ongoing continuities (untill crisis killed that one), elsewolds, an active ongoing future. etc. It was always part of a wonderful growing narrative.
    While also maintaining the ongoing stories of Bruce Wayne as Batman, so every new gen got to see their version of Bruce Wayne as Batman too.
    We got both.
    The more significant question is when did this gen start bitching that Bruce Wayne was still Batman.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-15-2019 at 05:00 PM.

When the JLA dropped it's pension plans.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

The way I see it, Batman can't really retire because even if he does it doesn't mean the Arkham lot does will retire.

I mean realistically speaking some of the rogues woulda have retired by now too, permanently, and accepted actual help and be cured. Others would have probably died by now either by some tragic mistake in a fight with Batman or murdered by some other antihero. Or some like Croc or Harley eventually getting killed in a Suicide Squad mission. Penguin and Black Mask killed by the next big crime boss, etc.

I mean honestly, unless someone blows up Arkham killing everyone inside, permanently in a way that Batman couldn't avoid it, there's no true way he can really retire and have us expect the rest of Gotham's crazies to do so as well. If anything the Dark Knight Returns does imply all the classic rogues have retired for the most part.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Fantastic Member

I don't think the "Batman will never retire" thing has a strong basis in reality. At the end of the day, there multiple versions of Batman, and they all don't have the same logical outcome.

Like others have said, I totally see Pre Crisis Batman retiring some day. I definitely believe that Adam West Batman eventually retired and left the crimefighting to Dick, while he settled down with either Catwoman, Lisa Carson, or a reformed henchwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    The more significant question is when did this gen start bitching that Bruce Wayne was still Batman.
    Great Question.

Back in the day, people read Batman comics, moved on, and then a new generation enjoyed the adventures of Bruce Wayne.

Now, you have a group of people who want Bruce to die for good when they could just start reading something else.

Now, you have a group of people who want Bruce to die for good when they could just start reading something else.
    I don't want Bruce to die. I want him to have a more balance hero/civilian life and not be obsessed with his mission to the point of destroying so many other relationships in his life. Particularly the ones with his kids. And also to stop treating his allies (who used to be his friends once upon a time) so very poorly and with so much derision.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-30-2019 at 04:49 PM.

people only want Bruce to retire or "take a step back" so one of his Robins can get a turn as Batman.
    It would be the ultimate irony if DC did retire Bruce and they jumped straight to Duke or Terry in the future with Bruce mentoring them. That's the closest you'll get imo

Its not about a happy ending for Bruce and in reality most fans would agree Bruce is not working towards his own happy ending. He never was, He is waging a war on crime and he sacrificed his joy and the rest of his adult life for Batman
    You don't go from losing your parents at 10 and then train/study til you are 25 and come out of that with an outlook like there is a day when you'll stop on your own.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

I think people are forgetting American comics aren't supposed to end. You don't retire Batman. Batman retires you. Then your kids and grandkids will get to enjoy him.

Batman is Bruce Wayne. Spinoffs aside, the main series will always have Bruce as Bats. Sure they might kill him or break his back again and have Duke be Bats for a year a two but you know eventually Bruce will be back as Batman.

To get rid of Bruce permanently is to officially consider the super-long-running Batman American Manga series to officially write its final chapter and end the series for good.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/