Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

No, it really isn't. The first season was glorious. The second went completely off the rails. I still haven't watched the first episode of the third season, but hopefully it's found it's footing once more.

The best Marvel based tv series remains Daredevil. Pacing issues aside, it's the best acted, most consistently thematic and well made of all their television efforts. By leaps and bounds the best of the Netflix offerings, and I feel comfortable putting it ahead of Agents of SHIELD solely because of it's laser focus on it's characters. SHIELD is excellent tv, but it wanders off book for whole episodes and gets away from what it's good at. And it's villains have been subpar pretty much across the board.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Daredevil.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    No, it really isn't. The first season was glorious. The second went completely off the rails. I still haven't watched the first episode of the third season, but hopefully it's found it's footing once more.

The best Marvel based tv series remains Daredevil. Pacing issues aside, it's the best acted, most consistently thematic and well made of all their television efforts. By leaps and bounds the best of the Netflix offerings, and I feel comfortable putting it ahead of Agents of SHIELD solely because of it's laser focus on it's characters. SHIELD is excellent tv, but it wanders off book for whole episodes and gets away from what it's good at. And it's villains have been subpar pretty much across the board.
    Far enough, but i would say the best episodes of AOS are better than the best of DD.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Thread kinda revolves around the idea that "Best..." is a thing we can actually measure. It's not like it's an "Everyone baked a pumpkin pie..." sort of contest.

That said, Legion absolutely takes things to a whole other level.

While I get the reasons folks would say Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D or the Netflix shows, they are essentially well done versions of adapting the source material.

Legion is on another path entirely.

Knowing that, it's hard to put the other shows on the same level as Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Thread kinda revolves around the idea that "Best..." is a thing we can actually measure. It's not like it's an "Everyone baked a pumpkin pie..." sort of contest.

That said, Legion absolutely takes things to a whole other level.

While I get the reasons folks would say Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D or the Netflix shows, they are essentially well done versions of adapting the source material.

Legion is on another path entirely.

Knowing that, it's hard to put the other shows on the same level as Legion.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.... Daredevil is good if you wanted to copy and paste a comic to live action. But Legion blows that sh!t outta the water.

Don't get why everyone disliked seasonv2??? I thought it was Great...better than season 1 esp the last few episodes
    how was it any weirder than a blind dude who can smell/sense danger?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking.... Daredevil is good if you wanted to copy and paste a comic to live action. But Legion blows that sh!t outta the water.

Don't get why everyone disliked seasonv2??? I thought it was Great...better than season 1 esp the last few episodes
    how was it any weirder than a blind dude who can smell/sense danger?
    Because it lacked any kind of coherent plot. All the sight gags in Season 1 were mostly tethered to the plot, whereas the second season felt self-indulgent.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Because it lacked any kind of coherent plot. All the sight gags in Season 1 were mostly tethered to the plot, whereas the second season felt self-indulgent.
    While I can understand the whole "The execution didn't work for me..." angle, I don't understand the assertion that it didn't have a coherent plot.

I watched, and followed it just fine.

BANNED

While I can understand the whole "The execution didn't work for me..." angle, I don't understand the assertion that it didn't have a coherent plot.

I watched, and followed it just fine.
    For long stretches of that season it plain didn't move. It wasn't just an execution problem, it basically scoffed at the notion of plot.

It's hardly an isolated criticism of the season either.

Who says that a plot has to move at a given rate to be a plot?

While I get that it doesn't work for everyone, the idea that plots should have to adhere to a given set of conventions doesn't really work for me.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Not sure how to rate “Best”, but my favorite shows have actually been Agent Carter and X-Men TAS.

BANNED

Who says that a plot has to move at a given rate to be a plot?

While I get that it doesn't work for everyone, the idea that plots should have to adhere to a given set of conventions doesn't really work for me.
    I think shows or movies that just forgo plot for as much as a third of the season for visual gags is probably not good for the narrative.

The ratings on Legion went from .30 to .12 by the end of the season. Glad it worked for you, but you were in the significant minority.

I think shows or movies that just forgo plot for as much as a third of the season for visual gags is probably not good for the narrative.

The ratings on Legion went from .30 to .12 by the end of the season. Glad it worked for you, but you were in the significant minority.
    Over the years, lots of brilliant art has not been art that worked for the majority.

I'm completely fine with that reality.

For me its Daredevil. But if I get real specific the first 6 episodes of season 2 of Daredevil are my favroite Comicbook related TV show period. The second half of that season is then the series weakest stretch. Also the first half of Luke Cage season 1 when Cottonmouth was the big bad is a close second for me. But if I judge as awhole its
    1.Daredevil
    2.Punisher
    3.AoS
    Shows like Luke Cage and JJ are way too inconsistent for me. I actually liked season 2 of LC but that ending is awful since that's how its left. Though I would loved if it wasnt either Misty or Coleen but Jessica who coulda got through to Luke and turned him back down the righteous path. Then let they're storys end running off together.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 06-26-2019 at 07:52 PM.

BANNED

Over the years, lots of brilliant art has not been art that worked for the majority.

I'm completely fine with that reality.
    I think many of us are capable of appreciating brilliance in that way, this doesn't have to become a "people just aren't smart enough to get it", which is implied in your post.

I imagine many people that bailed on this show comprehended what the show was doing and nevertheless rejected the poor way it went about doing it.

I think many of us are capable of appreciating brilliance in that way, this doesn't have to become a "people just aren't smart enough to get it", which is implied in your post.

I imagine many people that bailed on this show comprehended what the show was doing and nevertheless rejected the poor way it went about doing it.
    Nothing to do with "Not Smart Enough..."

Ultimately, folks are largely used to plots moving forward at a certain rate. Nothing about that is "Poor..."

It's just pace that won't work for most folks.