Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man #24

Pretty decent issue, but it did feel kind of filler-y.

spoilers:
    That said, I was surprised Mysterio got killed again, considering the new movie and the fact he's on the cover of the next issue.

Also, on the subject of the identity of the Centipede villain, now officially known as Kindred, my theory on who he is has once again changed from last week. After today's issue, I'm going to go a little bold in theorizing here, but I think Kindred might be that little tiny part of Peter's soul that, if I remember correctly (I haven't bothered to reread One More Day in years and my latest memory of it was Linkara joyously ranting about it for two hours, so ignore this if I'm wrong), Mephisto mentioned in One More Day would forever cry out in agony and loneliness due to the loss of the marriage. Or maybe Kindred is a literal manifestation of the marriage itself, but either way, based on a few of Kindred's word choices, I do think he's somehow connected to the deal with Mephisto.
    end of spoilers

so why would that "sliver" have a past relationship with Kingpin and Mysterio?

Question

Another great issue.

I also admit I'm more confused than ever regarding Kindred's identity. I suppose Kindred could be Gwen or Captain Stacy or hell just about anyone who has died and was close to Peter at some point. The only thing that seems certain now is that he/she/it has a strong connection to OMD/the Infamous Deal. Kudos to Spencer he keeps me guessing.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

This is taking way too long. Just reveal who he is already. From the looks of it. The issue after the next isn’t going to be dealing with the Kindred plot.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This is taking way too long. Just reveal who he is already. From the looks of it. The issue after the next isn’t going to be dealing with the Kindred plot.
    you think this is taking too long. Frank Castle has been trying to kill Helmut Zemo for just as long. and there wasn't a kraven story in the middle of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You weren't inclined to like this from the beginning, so what else is new?

BANNED

There was a real Lovecraft touch to this. And Spencer brings home the "dread" in Kindred.

My only hope is that Spencer knows what he's doing and where he's going with this. Done wrongly, Kindred could end up being Judas Traveller level bad.

A lot depends on execution and payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    ...A lot depends on execution and payoff.
    True, any mystery character depends upon execution and payoff. Every game is a good game until it ends.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True, any mystery character depends upon execution and payoff. Every game is a good game until it ends.
    The classic example of this involved the TV show The Mentalist. The search for "Red John" ( for those who are unfamiliar with the show, he killed the main character Patrick Jane's wife and and daughter). It took 6 years to identify him.and finish him off. Both the ratings and the critics agreed, years 5 and 6 were harmed by this. At least, year 7 saved the final outcome of the show.

Astonishing Member

Another knock-out ish by Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    FACTS ABOUT KINDRED

-He's male

-He used to be a real human

-He only cares about Peter

-He's likely been dead since before Guardian Devil, so last century

-He could be Ben or George

-He's probably an original character related to important continuity because Spencer is smart

HIS NAME IS

spoilers:
    Gorr was right.
    end of spoilers
    He’s not Uncle Ben or George Stacy... sheesh. That’s like making Thomas or Martha Wayne a Batman villain.

Does he have to be someone....? I’m stumped as to any character identity that could fit him. I could make a couple guesses that are marginally more likely than it being like Uncle Ben, but they’re still weak and don’t make much sense (eg: an undead Ned Leeds). My craziest theory is that he’s a demonic manifestation of the OMD deal, and that’s why he wants to kill MJ as her closeness to Peter is threatening to undo it. Also, kinda silly. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post

spoilers:
    That said, I was surprised Mysterio got killed again, considering the new movie and the fact he's on the cover of the next issue.

Also, on the subject of the identity of the Centipede villain, now officially known as Kindred, my theory on who he is has once again changed from last week. After today's issue, I'm going to go a little bold in theorizing here, but I think Kindred might be that little tiny part of Peter's soul that, if I remember correctly (I haven't bothered to reread One More Day in years and my latest memory of it was Linkara joyously ranting about it for two hours, so ignore this if I'm wrong), Mephisto mentioned in One More Day would forever cry out in agony and loneliness due to the loss of the marriage. Or maybe Kindred is a literal manifestation of the marriage itself, but either way, based on a few of Kindred's word choices, I do think he's somehow connected to the deal with Mephisto.
    end of spoilers
    Blast you beat me to it as I was going to suggest a similar thing.

Fantastic Member

Another excellent issue by Spencer. Really liking the mystery surrounding Kindred. As for Mysterio…

spoilers:
    I don't think he's gone for good, with the movie coming out and being on next issues cover. Plus, the synopsis said he and Kindred had something cooking. We ARE dealing with someone who already resurrected him once, after all.
    end of spoilers

Really enjoyed this issue. It was mainly talk, but wow, the tension was palpable throughout the story. I haven't been up to date that much with Mysterio, but I've always wondered how he came back from death. After years and years of speculation and unclear answers, the issue gives a fairly solid view of what happened (at least I hope so anyway. I really hope this isn't some Mysterio bait and switch again).

As for why Kindred has it in for Peter, I definitely feel it had to do with OMD. Maybe this is the way for Spencer to give that stab in the heart to the fans? Tease them with bringing Pete and MJ together only to have a demon tear them a part again? Say it ain't so Spencer!

In any case, very interested in what happens next!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Don't know about anyone else, but when I was reading this issue, I had Breaking Bad going through my mind -

Kindred: Now... Say my name.
    Mysterio: You're Heisenberg.
    Kindred: You're goddamn right!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    This is set-up but not filler. It does seem important to the bigger story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets