Default Couples you can support, but don't want them to have children

Pick and choose your own canon, so you can ignore stories you think are character-assassinating and pick your favorite versions.

No picking on couples you'd never like anyway.

Here are some of mine

Like the couple, but don't want them to have kids
    Diana and Steve - I like them as a couple, but I like the idea that parenthood isn't something either of them wants their life to be about. They have their missions (working both alone and together sometimes), and raising children just isn't what they want to do.

Raven and Gar - Sort of old school, when that Gar was growing up and becoming more mature (and his jokes were a cover for insecurities) was a given. I like the idea of them, anyway. But I also like the idea that the difficulties of Raven's early life, and the fear of her bloodline (and her father attacking through it, because he just doesn't stay dead) are something she'd never want for a child. And since the idea of motherhood isn't important to her, getting her tubes tied is a choice she makes young. Gar is fine with a lack of kids, too.

Bruce and Selina - I want her to have her daughter Helena (still not happy about adoption), and him to have his kids, and them to end up happily ever after. But not have more kids.

Like the couple, on the fence about kids

Ralph and Sue Dibny - I adore them in their silver-age splendor, before later stories added in angst, then made her disdain him. And, of course, Identity Crisis never happened in my world. But I also adore them traveling around and solving mysteries. And I'm not sure if a child fits into that life-style or not.

Katar and Shayera Hold - Space cops version. Not really sure when long-lifespan established, but as long as they are on earth, I feel like that would place their child out of step with peers (friends keep outgrowing the little mite, if they age more slowly in childhood, too). Nothing about them says they'd want to be parents to me. But nothing says they wouldn't either. I haven't read every story, of course.

On the fence for the couple, on the fence for kids
    Hal and Carol - I've been on the fence about these two for a long time, though I haven't read much beyond the silver age because I like steady home bases/supporting characters and don't care for space-based adventures. They have a history, both negative and positive. I can't decide between them finally getting it right and a happily ever after, them in an eternal, unhealthy back-and-forth, and a final, sad break. I actually prefer a world where Katma isn't killed, so that's one little barrier out of the way (and I'm unsure to what degree Star Sapphire was possession at the time, anyway). I could be okay with them never working out. It feels unfair to keep more of their toxic interactions than I am with the couples I really like (almost ever ship has them), though. Then at what age do they get it sorted? If not for a nicely done panel on baby Martin, I wouldn't really consider these two having kids. Especially since there was a period earlier when Carol did not seem to want them (visiting with Hal's nieces and nephews as I recall).

On the fence for the couple, no for kids
    Ray Palmer and Jean Loring - My temptation is to leave these two divorced and done with each other. Though Identity Crisis was a terrible character assassination. The only two things that make me reconsider are the more recent "tell Jean I love and the alimony check is in the mail" (sorry if I got words wrong) and that the affair seemed to come out of nowhere, with no foreshadowing (but I have only read a few issues of Justice League of America in the era, so may have missed foreshadowing). I haven't read a lot with them, but could be okay with some sort of reconciliation with Identity Crisis erased. But they both seem very career-oriented in what I did read, and didn't necessarily make time for each other (that's me extrapolating a lot from like one or two events, to be fair), so if they did reconcile, no kids for them.

There is several couple I can imagine having kids in the future. I even see them as destined too, it's part of their appeal.
    That doesn't mean you do it now, that's just lazy, likely writer who is out of things to say about the character, fall back on the lets have a baby episode! Which usually signals the downward spiral of the lead character, as the writers and editors are out of more interesting things to say.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-27-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    There is several couple I can imagine having kids in the future. I even see them as destined too, it's part of their appeal.
    That doesn't mean you do it now, that's just lazy, likely writer who is out of things to say about the character, fall back on the lets have a baby episode! Which usually signals the downward spiral of the lead character, as the writers and editors are out of more interesting things to say.
    I think babies can be great - but are often done very poorly by writers. Much the same as romance, actually.

However, this thread is meant to be about character who you don't think should have kids, not ones you don't think should have kid right now. I don't want to devolve into a discussion on whether babies should exist in super hero comics or how often or why they're killed off or the laziness of "fake baby" plots or what not.

It's meant to be about specific couples. I almost put a "don't say "no babies in comics"" in the first post, but thought it was understood and would be to heavy-handed to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think babies can be great - but are often done very poorly by writers. Much the same as romance, actually.

However, this thread is meant to be about character who you don't think should have kids, not ones you don't think should have kid right now. I don't want to devolve into a discussion on whether babies should exist in super hero comics or how often or why they're killed off or the laziness of "fake baby" plots or what not.

It's meant to be about specific couples. I almost put a "don't say "no babies in comics"" in the first post, but thought it was understood and would be to heavy-handed to say.
    Except that was all you, I didn't say that.
    A superhero couple (or single parent) with a baby would be great. Create that original character! I would love to see it.
    You want the likes of Hal Jordan and Barry Allen to have a kid together, a little girl they can call Light-Speed
    By all means create it, make analogues of them as new couple with a kid, but actually create something NEW!

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

However, this thread is meant to be about character who you don't think should have kids, .
    I don't think there is any legit ongoing couple that shouldn't be imagined to have kids in the future.
    That, like I said is part of the appeal, imagining it for their future.

Another alt is in elseworlds

And ongoing alt universe.
    Some of my favorites were Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle's daughter.
    And the daughter of Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor.

Of course the classic characters should one day have kids...
    So where are these great characters?

DC actually had a whole ongoing universe where characters aged, had families, and even died, and legacies took up the mantles.
    It's actually modern (supposedly forward thinking) creators and readers who have rejected them.
    Strangely these now replaced by two super "sons".

These were fantastic ways to do legacy story and character.
    And simultaneously not deny future readers and creators the experience of exploring their take of ongoing characters as they were designed; in their prime without kids.
    That's what has built and kept the franchise going.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-27-2019 at 08:11 AM.

I don't think there is any legit ongoing couple that shouldn't be imagined to have kids in the future.
    Then there is no need for you to post in this thread, as it's specifically about couples you don't want to have kids or don't think should have kids.

Then you are missing my point.
    Part of the appeal of seeing established couples, is imagining they might one day want, and have kids. I support that.
    Yet, that does not mean I want it now in continuity. In fact I don't (explained why above). It is in this aspect I'm answering your question.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-27-2019 at 08:34 AM.

I can't think of any. If I like a couple together I also want them (someday) to have kids or at least there to be that possibility. That said, I'll pass on this thread.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."