Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

I would bring back that Diana gets her money from copyright thanks to Myndi just in case we can have Diana Prince work out. If I had Diana Prince is more of wanting to blend in with the general crowd. Diana isn't the only child. I would bring back Mala and Nubia. I mean a few Amazonian kids adopted by shipwreck or gods have sent children that were abused.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    I see. So you prefer George Perez Wonder Woman where she was born with superpowers?
    Yep! Strength and invulnerability. Flight and Speed come later, as boons from her patron Hermes.

Her other superpower is to understand all language, human or animal. It’s called the First Wonder of the Amazons. THAT is a trained “power”, one that nearly ALL Amazons excel in. There are two other Amazonian Wonders, but they’re not “powers” in the stereotypical superhero wheelhouse. Her mothers excel in all three, so it’s a little silly that Dione is called Wonder Woman in Man’s World when she’s only mastered the first.

What is it that you don't like the Amazon training powers? I'm just curious.
    If it's just martial arts... no. If it's some divine blessing? yes. Why? because DC has way too much super martial arts already.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yep! Strength and invulnerability. Flight and Speed come later, as boons from her patron Hermes.
    Note that Diana's original powerset was lovely as Aphrodite, wise as Athena, speed of Mercury (Hermes), and strength of Hercules (Heracles). But early Wonder Woman wasn't that invulnerable—she was knocked out at times by strikes to her head hitting vulnerable spots.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that Diana's original powerset was lovely as Aphrodite, wise as Athena, speed of Mercury (Hermes), and strength of Hercules (Heracles). But early Wonder Woman wasn't that invulnerable—she was knocked out at times by strikes to her head hitting vulnerable spots.
    Yap. I’m making money moves. Lots of mixed signals between actual boons and just cordial phrasing. Plus I just think it’s lame that “beauty” is a superpower. Not a huge fan of the Shazam method of 1 god = 1 gift.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Actually was she not "swifter than zMercury, stronger than Hercules" while she was " beautiful as Aphrodite, wise as Athena "...... subtle difference, but important

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

Her other superpower is to understand all language, human or animal. It’s called the First Wonder of the Amazons. THAT is a trained “power”, one that nearly ALL Amazons excel in. There are two other Amazonian Wonders, but they’re not “powers” in the stereotypical superhero wheelhouse. Her mothers excel in all three, so it’s a little silly that Dione is called Wonder Woman in Man’s World when she’s only mastered the first.
    Would you prefer if Diana was gifted with superpowers after winning the contest just to show she defeated her Amazon sisters fairly?

Would you prefer if Diana was gifted with superpowers after winning the contest just to show she defeated her Amazon sisters fairly?
    I don't understand. The Contests happen every thirty years. That would be a lot of Wonder Women.

Oh! I get it now. I thought we were in the Paternal Narrative thread. I like Dione asking the Themysciran Sea Witch for a glamour that takes her powers away for her Contest.

Then in payment, she releases the Sea Witch into Man’s World, which breaks the link between both realms.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 05-17-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Actually was she not "swifter than zMercury, stronger than Hercules" while she was " beautiful as Aphrodite, wise as Athena "...... subtle difference, but important
    There were different phrasings in different adventures. I grabbed the one I used from All Star Comics #8.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

She was, actually.

"Beautiful as Aphrodite, wise as Athena, swifter than Hermes, and stronger than Hercules" was the description I grew up reading on the first page of the book for years

I see. So you prefer George Perez Wonder Woman where she was born with superpowers?
    Thats not new to Perez.... that was started in the silver Age/ Earth one. Blessedvat birth by the gods. BUT Amazon training was still part of their way of life...

The funny thing about the Contest is, that i never see it as needing to be the narrative of defeating her sisters "fairly"

It's about her having the courage to follow her destiny, defy her mother's orders, and leave her safe idyllic island home. Its more of an inner journey and finding her strength of heart. We know who's gonna win.

That being said, I font have an issue with powers being granted as part of the Contest ( they were given much later than that in Rebirth) , or powers being temporarily bound ( but it would have to be her choice)...

Fantastic Member

Thats not new to Perez.... that was started in the silver Age/ Earth one. Blessedvat birth by the gods. BUT Amazon training was still part of their way of life...
    Do you like the Amazon training power or Diana blessed by gods?

For me, Diana got her strength from the gods after winning. I would return the Amazons advanced tech. The amazons have it because they have to deal with the doom gate. They have to have a new tech. They also discovered new healing rays and metals.

Do you like the Amazon training power or Diana blessed by gods?
    I like the idea of her abilities being a mix. the gods didn't teach her how to fight, the Amazons did.