Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    I have been reading about the history of Women rights and learned that in ancient times Women had a bit more rights in ancient Egypt, Sumer and India than in colonial america.

So my rough idea for a Wonder Woman reboot would be to include some Gods from ancient times in Sumer such as Inanna and female pharoahs from Egypt. But since Wonder Woman is mostly inspired by ancient Greece the majority of the focus would be there. In Greece Women had less rights than other ancient countries such as Egypt, Sumer and India. Women lived separate from men in a room called Gynaikeion because it was believed by the philosopher Aristotle that Women brought about evil and destruction. In Greece Women also were required to have a male quardian called Kyrios who took control of all of there legal matters.

My reboot Wonder Woman story would begin sometime after the Amazons regained their freedom and settled on Paradise Island. Unknowingly to the Amazons the Gods has bestowed another group of women with 'gifts of powers and immortality'. The Amazons were fooled and again chained by these Women after an offer of friendship. But these chains were not physically binding in a traditional way. One of the gifts that the Gods bestowed on them were the power to subjugate the Amazons somewhat openly in Countries and cities around the World. Similar to how Danny the Street from Doom Patrol, can conjure up roadways any where with a single thought the Women that imprisoned the Amazons place them in gynaikeion spaces around the world. Even though they lived in Countries and cities among men the Amazons have never or will ever cross the path of a man ever again thanks to the powers that the Women had over the Amazons. The Women that imprisoned the Amazons were also their Kyrios.

The story then fast forwards to modern times and Diana, the daughter of Hyppolyta shockingly crosses the path of an injured US soldier in Iraq. Because this is the first time an Amazon has crossed the path of a man it sent shock waves throughout the community of Women who imprisoned the Amazons and set fourth the creation of Wonder Woman. Is this a sign that the Amazons will finally be free?
    Sparta was actually an exception to the rule for the Greeks. The men were soldiers, women were everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Bombshells was focused on the 1940s, but tons of characters were re-imagined for the time period that I could do without, and it was mainly an all women cast, which is awesome, but if this book did happen, I'd love for some oldschool characters to pop up.
    I'd love to see a full treatment of that spin-off.

I especially want to see a Bombshells version of Bombshell. I kinda imagine the look as an Air Force uniform but when she activates her powers the whole thing turns silver. Maybe have her as the stereotypical fighter pilot or whatever.

Marston had them fall in love, on the island - the love becoming a plot device to justify Diana leaving Paradise. If Diana's Amazons are anything like the Amazons of Greek myth, the threat of War or some other baddy subjugating the world would be motivation or justification, enough.

And again...supervillains, like Grail, whose ambitions are global domination and enslavement, would be her archenemies. I think that's got to be clear in any reboot. Wonder Woman uses truth, as a weapon, to achieve her true, Amazonian goal: the defense and preservation of peace and freedom for all mankind.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

History

-There have been more than one generation of Amazons and Hippolyta's is the current.

-The enslavement and betrayal by Heracles happened.

-The Amazons are a multi-racial nation with women of European, Asian, African and Middle Eastern origin.

-Amazons originate from either artificial creation or women who end up on Themyscira for a second chance at life.

-Amazons can gain super powers by either learning magic or tapping into inner divinity that exists in all humans.

-The Bana live on Themyscira and are a lot less extreme than their usual depiction.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-21-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Individual Amazons

-Mala is a former soldier turned medic and an old friend Hippolyta and Phillipus.

-Artemis is Arab. Akila is black.

-Donna is of Filipina descent here. Her dad is half white and half Filipino and her mom is full-blooded Filipino. She has the same origin as her first one; rescued from a fire after her parents died and brought to Themyscira. She has the Amazon divinity unlocked power and uses a staff and a pair of gunong (Filipino knives).

-Io is an engineer.

-Artemis and Hippolyta fight using a combination of magic and the Amazon divinity empowerment. Akila is a powerful and skilled mage having been trained by Magda and Osira who is an Amazon in this.

-There is an Amazon named Ling who uses textile based magic.

-Nubia is a childhood friend of Diana’s . She is Philippus’ daughter and was lost in a battle with demons from another dimension, presumed dead. In reality, she was kidnapped and brainwashed and is ultimately freed by Philippus and Diana. Her story deals with PTSD and seeing how life has changed on Themyscira.

Non-Amazon Characters

- Cassie lives in Boston with her mother and is friends with Vanessa Kapatelis. She isn't really Zeus' daughter here but her lineage is something else.

- Cassie later crosses paths with Donna while the latter is looking for information on her biological family and becomes friends with her.

- Aresia Helena Kosmatos is a Greek Jewish girl whose family was lost to Neo Nazis. She is empowered by the Erinyes to seek revenge. Her story deals with the importance of compassion in justice for the victims.

- Delan Peng, the Chinese Wonder Woman, does appear a few times.

- Steve and Etta are of course present as liasons to Themyscira.

Villains and Antagonists

Dr Psycho is one for Cassie and Vanessa being a sexual predator.

Ares starts out as an enemy of the Amazons before becoming a more neutral party.

Heracles is the sworn enemy of the Amazons and plans to destroy their reputation with the outside worlds again.

His entourage is Theseus, Odysseus, Jason and Achilles.

Circe was a healer before her daughter was killed by Odysseus. She doesn't really consider the Amazons her enemies and is more focused on the Olympians but can resort to extremes in order to kill them.

That's all I got for now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

How I would break down the core casts:

Core Supporting Cast
    Hippolyta
    Steve Trevor- inspired by the movie version for characterization
    Etta Candy- use the Earth One version, leader of the Holliday Girls, never pursues a military career
    Donna Troy/Wonder Girl- adopted princess
    Ferdinand
    Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis- Julia teaches at Holliday College, takes over Barbara Ann's role in A.R.G.U.S. Donna joins Vanessa and her circle of friends
    Myndi Mayer
    Phil Darnell
    Matthew Michaelis
    Paula von Gunther

Prominent Amazons
    Antiope
    Melanippe
    Philippus
    Artemis
    Mala
    Nubia
    Io
    Kasia
    Althea
    Penelope
    Euboea
    Epione
    Areto
    Hellene

Core Rogues Gallery
    Barbara Minerva/the Cheetah
    Children of Ares
    Veronica Cale
    Circe
    Dr. Psycho- Earth One version
    Giganta- ditch Doris Zeul and go for the classic Gorilla Woman origin
    Dr. Cyber- mix of Rebirth and classic. Adrianna's body is comatose, but Veronica creates the A.I. It later seizes the body, makes some modifications and downloads herself into it to pilot it around. Wears the enhanced body suit and the metal mask over her burned face.
    Dr. Posion
    Queen Clea
    Saturna/Eviless- not an alien, but a supernatural villain with a Devil motif, tying into the planet Saturn's malefic connotations in astrology.
    Zara
    Blue Snowman
    Hypnota
    Angle Man
    Chang Tzu
    Silver Swan- with her push into other media, makes sense to give this roll to Vanessa
    Minister Blizzard
    Queen Atomia
    Gundra
    The Mask
    The Gorgons
    Echidna

Core Supporting Cast
    Hippolyta
    Steve Trevor- inspired by the movie version for characterization
    Etta Candy- use the Earth One version, leader of the Holliday Girls, never pursues a military career
    Donna Troy/Wonder Girl- adopted princess
    Ferdinand
    Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis- Julia teaches at Holliday College, takes over Barbara Ann's role in A.R.G.U.S. Donna joins Vanessa and her circle of friends
    Myndi Mayer
    Phil Darnell
    Matthew Michaelis
    Paula von Gunther
    How often would you utilize each character or which ones would be there at any given time (if some are introduced later)? Seems to me that 4 or maybe 5 is the largest regular supporting cast to comfortably support and have any degree of fleshing out of the characters. By that, I mean ones that tend to appear frequently - at least every third or fourth issue. Maybe you have a wider definition of core supporting cast, though.

I think that's Earth-Two Etta. But I like her.

Never thought of Donna and Vanessa as the same peer group, so that's definitely an interesting idea to play with.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-27-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    How often would you utilize each character or which ones would be there at any given time (if some are introduced later)? Seems to me that 4 or maybe 5 is the largest regular supporting cast to comfortably support and have any degree of fleshing out of the characters. By that, I mean ones that tend to appear frequently - at least every third or fourth issue. Maybe you have a wider definition of core supporting cast, though.

I think that's Earth-Two Etta. But I like her.

Never thought of Donna and Vanessa as the same peer group, so that's definitely an interesting idea to play with.
    I think I'd have the core regulars who appear most often in her everyday life be Steve, Etta, Donna, Ferdinand and the Kapatelis women. The latter two would get more play once Barbara is cursed into becoming the Cheetah and Julia takes over her position at A.R.G.U.S. Hippolyta is of course more important than all of them, but she's on the island and wouldn't appear as regularly at first. For the rest, Myndi has a limited shelf life since I think her original arc was perfect, and Darnell and Michaelis exist in Steve's circle. Paula's there as the most prominent enemy-turned-ally, I think I would draw inspiration from her Silver age self who wasn't a Nazi but a reformed generic terrorist.

I think I may have a bit broader definition of "core," for example I think of Batman's as being at least Dick, Alfred, the Gordons, Jason, Damian and some of the prominent Gotham cops like Bullock and Montoya. Or Superman with the Daily Planet staff, Supergirl, Krypto, Lana and the Legion. So I was looking at roughly similar numbers for Diana. But yeah, varying degrees of importance are in place.

I was thinking of Morrison's Earth One Etta, but she IS based on the Golden Age Earth-2 Etta.

I had the idea of mixing Donna with Vanessa's crowd because if the Perez run was set around the time the other heroes were debuting, that's around the age Donna would be. The dynamics with Lucy and Eileen would be interesting with Donna thrown into the mix, plus it just gives Donna more to do when she isn't hanging out with the rest of the Fab 5 Titans (who are all boys). I guess the Swan!Vanessa rivalry with a Wonder Girl would be transferred to Donna in this case though.

I think I may have a bit broader definition of "core," for example I think of Batman's as being at least Dick, Alfred, the Gordons, Jason, Damian and some of the prominent Gotham cops like Bullock and Montoya. Or Superman with the Daily Planet staff, Supergirl, Krypto, Lana and the Legion. So I was looking at roughly similar numbers for Diana. But yeah, varying degrees of importance are in place.
    Ah. I consider Lois, Jimmy, Perry, and sometimes Lana (in bronze age) as "core" for Superman (Superboy's are different). Others as more occasional or tertiary. For Batman, it's Jim or Alfred (depending on era) and in later eras a Robin. For most of Dick's era as Robin prior to the later 1960s, I consider Dick a co-lead rather than supporting character, but I'm sure others will vary on that interpretation). Later he was used less then off to college, where he ended up more recurring than core support to me.

I had the idea of mixing Donna with Vanessa's crowd because if the Perez run was set around the time the other heroes were debuting, that's around the age Donna would be. The dynamics with Lucy and Eileen would be interesting with Donna thrown into the mix, plus it just gives Donna more to do when she isn't hanging out with the rest of the Fab 5 Titans (who are all boys). I guess the Swan!Vanessa rivalry with a Wonder Girl would be transferred to Donna in this case though.
    It'd be quite different in that I don't think Vanessa would perceive Diana's adopted sister getting powers the way she did Cassie-off-the-street-with-a-normal-life getting powers, so I think less of an issue on that. On the other hand, Vanessa did have some insecurities (and an issue with a boy who gaped at Wonder Woman? - it's been a while I can't recall the details). The point being that if Donna is in her group, that's likely to be an issue, since Donna was regarded as super-hot (at least as she switched into her grownup look with red costume, but I think maybe before that, but again it's been a while since I read those and may be misremembering). I think an audience would be less sympathetic to that kind of jealousy, though. Not that, in the old days, I got much sense that Vanessa wanted superpowers (so it was more than a little odd when she felt that way about Cassie getting them to me). But, like I said, it's been a while, and I didn't read anything close to all the issues she was in. In any event, with a reboot, new elements being introduced is to be expected.

Gotta admit, I don't remember Lucy and Eileen. I did look them up. I think I only read the beginning of Perez's run, and then bits and pieces after. I just wasn't into the concept of Diana as a rookie when others weren't, and honestly don't care for old Steve and Etta, and am not into a lot of the mythological aspect/villains. I get the idea that it ties in well to Amazons, and it makes Diana stand apart from other heroes, but it's just not my thing. I know read the first appearance of Cheetah.

I liked Vanessa and Diana's relationship with her. I was particularly grateful that after her Silver Swan thing that she got better, went on to school, seemingly had a good life, etc. I have a special dislike for when previously good characters (typically supporting characters or minor heroes) show up after a long absence to be made evil or killed off (Jean Loring, Tana Moon, etc.). At least this one got a happy ending. Then the reboot happened. :grr:

For the rest, Myndi has a limited shelf life since I think her original arc was perfect
    I do remember the character, though not how her arc turned out (I did look it up). Maybe I quit reading before then and only read issues later after she was dead.

I'm presuming you have no secret identity for Diana? I bounce back and forth on whether she should have one and to what degree if she does.

I was thinking of Morrison's Earth One Etta, but she IS based on the Golden Age Earth-2 Etta.
    Sorry for misunderstanding. Haven't read that one.

It'd be quite different in that I don't think Vanessa would perceive Diana's adopted sister getting powers the way she did Cassie-off-the-street-with-a-normal-life getting powers, so I think less of an issue on that. On the other hand, Vanessa did have some insecurities (and an issue with a boy who gaped at Wonder Woman? - it's been a while I can't recall the details). The point being that if Donna is in her group, that's likely to be an issue, since Donna was regarded as super-hot (at least as she switched into her grownup look with red costume, but I think maybe before that, but again it's been a while since I read those and may be misremembering). I think an audience would be less sympathetic to that kind of jealousy, though. Not that, in the old days, I got much sense that Vanessa wanted superpowers (so it was more than a little odd when she felt that way about Cassie getting them to me). But, like I said, it's been a while, and I didn't read anything close to all the issues she was in. In any event, with a reboot, new elements being introduced is to be expected.
    Vanessa having a teenage Amazon in her social circle definitely opens up some complications, and I think that boy who pretended to be interested in her to get close to Diana would definitely want to get involved with Donna. Vanessa would have a genuine friendship with Donna but have it be tinged with typical kids' jealousy. From Donna's perspective, it'd be interesting to see how she adjusts to such a social circle. Would she enroll in the school system? How would she deal with the attention? As a 12-14 year old, she'[d be even less equipped to deal with it than Diana. And maybe while Vanessa's obsession with being a popular social climber alienating Eileen, Donna could get close to Eileen instead.

I just wasn't into the concept of Diana as a rookie when others weren't, and honestly don't care for old Steve and Etta, and am not into a lot of the mythological aspect/villains. I get the idea that it ties in well to Amazons, and it makes Diana stand apart from other heroes, but it's just not my thing. I know read the first appearance of Cheetah.
    I'm definitely not wild about those elements either, my main basis is Marston, Kanigher and Rucka with some Perez mixed in and put through that filter. My version would have Diana debut very shortly after Superman, Batman and Robin, and Steve and Etta would be young.
    I'd want her main collection of foes to be a mix of mythological and supervillain, and the Man's World villains could have connections to myth. Like Deimos and Phobos playing a role in Cale and Cyber's origins. Or Giganta, who would have her Gorilla origin but maybe get her giant powers from a myth-based source.

I'm presuming you have no secret identity for Diana? I bounce back and forth on whether she should have one and to what degree if she does.
    I'd probably do without it, and just have Diana teach part time at Holliday College as herself. That way she could still be close to Etta, Julia and the Holliday Girls.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Haven't read that one.
    No problem! It's definitely flawed and not for everyone, but I'd recommend checking it out for yourself. At the very least, it has the best versions of Etta, Dr. Psycho and Paula von Gunther since the originals.

I'd probably do without it, and just have Diana teach part time at Holliday College as herself. That way she could still be close to Etta, Julia and the Holliday Girls.
    Never really thought of her as a teacher, so that's interesting, though how it would work without a secret identity is interesting - students are fine with class being canceled if she's off saving the world, though, I'm sure. I'm not at all sure it's a good dynamic, though. Not if she's their teacher. I feel like the authority over them could potentially be a hamper to the friendship, and might be set up a hierarchical relationship. They would, of course, eventually graduate and move out/away. I really like Etta, but am unsure about a rotating group of Holliday Girls over the years that her comic would last. On the one hand, it makes sense that the sorority or whatnot might get new (freshman) members who would end up coming on adventures with Diana. On the other, the older she gets, the less peerish and more mentorish it becomes (though that may be fine with you) and the more characters have an "expiration date" for being in the story. I think I prefer keeping it to the original group, and the connection to the Holliday Girls for Diana fading as the ones she first met graduate and potentially move away.

I imagined Hippolyta sending her off the island with a pound of gold - which would have been a fortune in the actual bronze age, I think - and finding out it'll buy her less than year's rent in today's DC. But, of course, that depends on how much knowledge they have of outside world. I guess the issue is does she have any other money coming in (from Hippolyta or the government or anything) or will she have to find paying work to support herself. I remember Hippolyta providing funds for Donna in the pre-Crisis era. With Myndi as her publicist for a bit, there should be some money coming in, though. And the book and all.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-27-2019 at 02:28 PM.

A couple of days ago I finally came upon an idea for how I’m going to incorporate Priscilla Rich into my version of the Wonderverse. It’s a good feeling when your plans for a classic Wonder character fall into place in a satisfying way.

Extraordinary Member

In the real world, I don't want a clean-slate reboot that erase 10 or 15 years of character growth, and starts everyone on day one. But for fanfic and discussion, it's quite fun. I wanted to do clean slate, so we're not beholden to fit her background against the existing background of other characters we like.

So, what's your ideal? Start during WWII or present day? Is Superman the world's first hero, or do you want a post-COIE set up where all the golden age characters who didn't make it to the silver age debuted first? If so, does Diana debut with golden agers (excluding Batman and Superman) or later?

What would Wonder Woman's powers be? She's had a different ones back in the old days. I'm fairly happy with the more modern ones. Flight, sure, despite it rendering the invisible plan less useful. But I don't want her bullet-proof. Just can't give up the bracelets blocking bullets.

Why does she leave the island, what motivates her and what is her purpose? Does anyone prefer it to be called Paradise Island? Are there any actual restrictions (magical consequences, etc.) to a man setting foot there? I prefer not. How often is Diana able to get back there or to communicate with her family? Is Donna already on the island? How old is Diana - under a century or over a millennium? What mixture of naive and wise? Are there any fish-out-of-water stories when she leaves the island and interacts with outside society? How long does she plan to be away from the island, and does she age while away? If Donna's there, presumably, she at least, ages.

How does she meet Etta? What's Etta's job and her role in Diana's life. I like the new Etta, but I like golden age Etta, too. But I'm not for purely comedy relief characters, so she'd need to be fleshed out if using old-school version. While I enjoyed the Year One Rucka run (heroes pretty good but villains iffy, Barbara was okay, but hated what was done with Veronica), I'm not sure I'd have Diana that integrated in the military/governement set. I was trying to think of an entirely new background for her. And, if Diana has a secret identity, should Etta know the truth?

I like Vanessa from the post-crisis era, too, but am not quite sure when in Diana's life I'd put her, especially if Etta and/or Steve is something of a guide to 20th/21st century life in the United States. I'm also not sure if Vanessa doesn't work better in world where Diana doesn't already have a little sister, if you know what I mean?

Pretty much the same on questions on Steve. Now him, I do like military or spy - it's what he's always been. And I like him a fighter. But how to develop that relationship (fast or slow, romantic or platonic at first, etc.) is a question. I tend to lie love interests knowing the truth early, but that's only applicable if Diana has a secret identity. Builds a better bond for them know early, since they don't only know part of a person. Also find the chasing-after-the-hero-while-ignoring-alter-ego bit very cringy. Except for original Green Lantern, because he brought it on himself.

What type of foes should she typically face?

How long until she meets Superman, Batman, etc. and what's the interpersonal dynamic? Guess that depends on the versions of those characters, too. Bruce used to be easier to get along with a long time ago.
    Flashpoint never happened.

That's pretty much it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor