Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I like the debut of Diana in World War II, which is now cannon (funny that so may early posts suggested it); biggest head scratcher for me is Steve & Etta who I like in both eras. Here's how I'd put it all together:

0. Amazons travel to Themiscyra in keeping with the Greek lore, and are also immortal.
    1. Diana debuts with her Golden Age origin intact, including GA Steve and GA Etta. Steve crash lands on Paradise Island and it goes from there.
    2. Diana joins JSA and during wartime fights all her classic foes including Cheetah (Priscilla), and Villainy, Inc.
    3. In the closing days of the war Steve is believed dead, but actually time displaced into the future.
    4. With the birth of the nuclear bomb, Diana is horrified and returns for a long rest on P.I.

5. 20 or so years ago, Diana has a "new" modern origin that brings her back to man's world; essentially the Perez origin minus Steve.
    6. In short order she rescues baby Donna from the fire and sends her to be raised by the Amazons.
    7. Diana joins the JLA and lives with the Kaepatelis family.
    8. She discovers the time-displaced Steve and they reunite. She also meets Etta Candy, a descendent of the original named after her great Aunt from the War.
    9. For a TIME the rule that Diana can't return to P.I. is created by Ares, enabling the recent stories.
    7. During the course of her modern adventures Donna comes to man's world as a teenager, Barbara becomes Cheetah, Cassie is successor to Donna, and Vanessa becomes Silver Swan.
    8. For 5G, Diana and Steve marry and "retire" for a while to P.I. where Lyta is born; when Lyta is a few years old they return to the outside world to continue raising Lyta with Steve as a stay-at-home Dad while Diana adventures.

Although I don't really like many of the stories she's featured in, I think I would still try to make Grail a proper member of Diana's rogues gallery since I think she has potential. Thinking she'd be an exiled Amazon, or one who left on her own terms, I think instead of being Darkseid's actual blood daughter that would be more of a title and she'd be the head of a cult on Earth that worships Darkseid.

They should bring back Genocide and make her cooler so she can be one of WW's most powerful villains behind Circe

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Although I don't really like many of the stories she's featured in, I think I would still try to make Grail a proper member of Diana's rogues gallery since I think she has potential. Thinking she'd be an exiled Amazon, or one who left on her own terms, I think instead of being Darkseid's actual blood daughter that would be more of a title and she'd be the head of a cult on Earth that worships Darkseid.
    Nah the character concept is defined by her being a descendant of Uxas. Now one could change the HOW of her conception and get good results. The idea she was hidden on Themiscyra is just.. lol wut?

This is kind of an aside, but what's the appeal of Grail? Having a Apokoliptan nemesis?

Why don't the Female Furies work? Why doesn't Steppenwolf work? Why don't other, older, classic Apokoliptan Gods work?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    This is kind of an aside, but what's the appeal of Grail? Having a Apokoliptan nemesis?

Why don't the Female Furies work? Why doesn't Steppenwolf work? Why don't other, older, classic Apokoliptan Gods work?
    the Furies are super-mooks, Granny, Steppenwolf, and Desaad are all neat, but they all live on Apokalips. Grail was born on Earth. So she kinda falls outside the pact between Highfather and Darkseid. While the New Genesis guys might be willing to help kick her butt, they probably won't.

Grail and Jason should just be erased from existence in the next reboot. Keep Johns' awful creations away from Wonder Woman.

I would just reboot her main super-villains. I don't see that Diana has a natural enemy, yet, because no writer or story has defined what Wonder Woman is yet. There is no perfect supervillain for Diana, and a reboot should establish that.

Thematically, I think Queen of Fables is a perfect match for Diana, but lacks the physicality of a Cheetah, Grail ..or even a Luthor. Being such a physical hero, I think she needs someone, like Cassandra the Mad, who can out-plot Diana, but is just as likely to smack her through a skyskraper, on a whim. She doesn't have an enemy, who is like a smart Silver Swan or a female Doctor Psycho...

And I think she needs one.

I would also establish her in an iconic city, for the same reasons that Bill Finger or Bob Kane have given for moving Batmans stories, from NYC to Gotham. Like good villains, iconic cities help define superheroes.

I would also establish Etta, as being more important to Diana's ongoing narrative, than Steve Trevor, ..because she is.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-17-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I would just reboot her main super-villains. I don't see that Diana has a natural enemy, yet, because no writer or story has defined what Wonder Woman is yet. There is no perfect supervillain for Diana, and a reboot should establish that.
    Seriously? She's a warrior/ambassador of love, peace and truth and that's been firmly established by her best writers. And she's got plenty of natural enemies who oppose her defining characteristics: Ares (war), Cheetah (savagery, hubris), Dr Psycho (misogyny, deceit).

I would also establish her in an iconic city, for the same reasons that Bill Finger or Bob Kane have given for moving Batmans stories, from NYC to Gotham. Like good villains, iconic cities help define superheroes
    I think it's too late for that, the character has been around for 80 years without an iconic city. It would take decades upon decades of consistent use for a city to become iconic and she already has Paradise Island anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Seriously? She's a warrior/ambassador of love, peace and truth and that's been firmly established by her best writers. And she's got plenty of natural enemies who oppose her defining characteristics: Ares (war), Cheetah (savagery, hubris), Dr Psycho (misogyny, deceit).

I think it's too late for that, the character has been around for 80 years without an iconic city. It would take decades upon decades of consistent use for a city to become iconic and she already has Paradise Island anyway.
    I don't think much of that messianic peace ambassador stuff. It's a big part of the character, but, for me, her being a free-loving Amazon is an even bigger part of the character.

I think Diana is a champion or avenger of freedom, and every sort of it. Her adventures, since the Golden Age, to strange, otherworldly places is an expression of that. Freedom, Her own and mankind's, was her inspiration to leave Paradise. In kind, her archenemy's very existence must threaten freedom for all people - maybe, the entire universe.

Sorry, but, I don't see any singular Wonder rogue, among the ones you listed, who embodies that, in some organic way. As I said, a smart Silver Swan or a female Doctor Psycho, or the pre-Crisis Doctor Cyber, who borrowed much from Doctor Doom - any of those might fit the bill. Cassandra the Mad was a nice blending of ALL OF the above, but, she's gone.

And I don't think it too late to establish her at Gateway or similar city.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-17-2020 at 05:31 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I don't think much of that messianic peace ambassador stuff. It's a big part of the character, but, for me, her being a free-loving Amazon is an even bigger part of the character
    Well, it's fine if you dislike the current version, but it's hardly the same as not being defined.

I think Diana is a champion or avenger of freedom, and every sort of it. Her adventures, since the Golden Age, to strange, otherworldly places is an expression of that. Freedom, Her own and mankind's, was her inspiration to leave Paradise. In kind, her archenemy's very existence must threaten freedom for all people - maybe, the entire universe
    If we're going with freedom then maybe Osira? Eviless?

What is this obsession with Gateway City? It has no identity and was very forgettable along with virtually all of DC's fictional cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    They should bring back Genocide and make her cooler so she can be one of WW's most powerful villains behind Circe
    It's hard to make Genocide cool in my opinion. But hey, she's appearing as a Four Horsewoman!

I don't think she needs her own city. I actually prefer her as a global hero, with friends and enemies all over the world. It doesn't make much sense for her to be tied to a particular city or even country if she doesn't have a civilian identity.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Moving her around too much just creates more instability for her, with her supporting characters being scattered all over the place.

It doesn't have to be a fictional city. Just have her live in her original home away from home, Washington D.C., and the only other regular location is Themyscira. Any characters she had that lived in Boston or New York or wherever could live in D.C. and the story wouldn't change in any meaningful way.