Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Part of why I like Gateway is that is gives a place for her allies to interact in a centralized manner. Yes, Diana is a global hero, but her human and secondary cast is not. The Rucka embassy was a great place for humans and not-so-humans to interact and come face-to-face to mythologicals like Ferdinand and Medusa. Myndi Mayer's PR firm, Helena Sandsmark's museum, and Veronia Cale's offices should all be within taxi distance. Metropolis gives rise to a variety of street-level heroes who help Superman with day-to-day crime like Gangbuster and Guardian. A WW-led city would give Donna Troy a firmer foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Seriously? She's a warrior/ambassador of love, peace and truth and that's been firmly established by her best writers. And she's got plenty of natural enemies who oppose her defining characteristics: Ares (war), Cheetah (savagery, hubris), Dr Psycho (misogyny, deceit).
    And also Circe who wants to force everyone to do things her way.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    But she could already do that without being a survivor. What does this origin add to history? I mean Donna has too much issues to add this one.
    I just wanted to streamline her origin and give her a stronger hook/niche when she's an adult. I preferred a more down to earth origin than the more convoluted ones she's been given so far.

Plus she gets a villain in Queen Bee but this whole pitch could be used for someone else like Sirrica from the Azzarello run (hint hint).

I wouldn't reboot I would start an alternate Earth:

Some ideas:
    Diana is made out of clay and has a 20-40 year life span and after she expires the clay is gathered and brought back to the Amazons where they try to mold her again.
    Steve Trevor is a low rank soldier who is taught to fight by Diana when they first met.
    Etta Candy is a history professor/housemistress at a college/university in England where Dr. Psycho also works.
    Heracles became the God of War after he killed Ares some time ago.
    Minerva was turned into a cheetah monster after she cheated on her girlfriend Circe.
    Dark Angel is a clone of Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Nah the character concept is defined by her being a descendant of Uxas. Now one could change the HOW of her conception and get good results. The idea she was hidden on Themiscyra is just.. lol wut?
    Yeah, I want to keep the Darkseid connections the main problem I run into with it is her conception being when Themiscyra was supposed to be sealed off from the outside world.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Part of why I like Gateway is that is gives a place for her allies to interact in a centralized manner. Yes, Diana is a global hero, but her human and secondary cast is not. The Rucka embassy was a great place for humans and not-so-humans to interact and come face-to-face to mythologicals like Ferdinand and Medusa. Myndi Mayer's PR firm, Helena Sandsmark's museum, and Veronia Cale's offices should all be within taxi distance. Metropolis gives rise to a variety of street-level heroes who help Superman with day-to-day crime like Gangbuster and Guardian. A WW-led city would give Donna Troy a firmer foundation.
    That's similar to what I'd go for in my reboot idea with Gateway City. I'd have it start out like a relatively normal city and then gradually turn into this center point of a lot of the mythical parts of the DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I want to keep the Darkseid connections the main problem I run into with it is her conception being when Themiscyra was supposed to be sealed off from the outside world.
    Maybe one of the off-island clans then? Making her Bana-Migdall could work.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Maybe one of the off-island clans then? Making her Bana-Migdall could work.
    Yeah, that could work. One of my other ideas in a Wonder Woman ground up reboot would be that there are other tribes Amazons besides the ones on Themiscyra and the Bana-Migdall.

GREAT argument for Wonder Woman having her own iconic city or home...flawlessly simple, as it is sensible.

Whether it is Washington, DC or Holliday U, specifically, as Craymond offers, ..it should be located in Man's World. Diana lives among mortals, now, and has, since the last issue of the game-changing George Perez run. What was the point of leaving Paradise, her great, legendary, heroic sacrifice, if she's going to make her home on the Island. Her best writers have understood this, and I think it makes a good case for her having her own iconic home, in Man's World.

Etta, Steve and Ferdinand have to live somewhere, but, I'd like to see Artemis, the heroic Perez Hercules, Mala, the Sensation Comics heroes and the Kanigher cast, once in a while. They need somewhere to live, hang out...Ocean City? Gateway? Georgetown? Washington?

Even if her home is Washington, DC, it should be a stylized, weird, over-sized, quirky version of DC. It shouldn't just be a capitol city, with marble monuments and dreary government buildings. This Washington should be a WONDERLAND of bizarre characters from time travel, magical realms and lost civilizations! It should be something special, methinks - DC's Capital of the Weird.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-19-2020 at 02:34 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    DC's Capital of the Weird.
    Which is why I'd move it allllll the way west to Gateway City(San Francisco). DC is far too conservative and low to the ground. Diana's city should have a Pegasus-mounted police force. Multi-dimensional embassies for Skartaris, Atlantis, and Gemworld. And a populace that suffers regular "acts of god" earthquakes that force them to consider magical thinking and alternative faiths.

Part of Wonder Woman's problem is her perceived "aloofness". While I agree part of that is her transient nature and not interacting with a community, its also the fact that the community she inhabits never has to contend with problems for which she is designed. Let's see race riots and weird cults and generational misunderstandings, women in power, women in refuge, diplomacy and peace-brokering. The San Franciscan bay is another plus: It allows for regular invasions by Clea and her contingent of Atlantean separatists.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-19-2020 at 06:48 AM.

Which is why I'd move it allllll the way west to Gateway City(San Francisco). DC is far too conservative and low to the ground. Diana's city should have a Pegasus-mounted police force. Multi-dimensional embassies for Skartaris, Atlantis, and Gemworld. And a populace that suffers regular "acts of god" earthquakes that force them to consider magical thinking and alternative faiths.

Part of Wonder Woman's problem is her perceived "aloofness". While I agree part of that is her transient nature and not interacting with a community, its also the fact that the community she inhabits never has to contend with problems for which she is designed. Let's see race riots and weird cults and generational misunderstandings, women in power, women in refuge, diplomacy and peace-brokering. The San Franciscan bay is another plus: It allows for regular invasions by Clea and her contingent of Atlantean separatists.
    I'd like her to have her own iconic city, simply because it's a superhero comic genre thing. Just like having a 'family' of super-powered allies, one of them of the opposite sex ..and a DOG, I think Diana should have her own city, as Superman and Batman do.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I think the NEW 52 reboot started off well then ...rebirth happened... urg

I'd like her to have her own iconic city, simply because it's a superhero comic genre thing. Just like having a 'family' of super-powered allies, one of them of the opposite sex ..and a DOG, I think Diana should have her own city, as Superman and Batman do.
    I do think she should have a city. And she needs a role in that city - I personally like civilian identities, but I know many don't. It's quite popular now (as both WW and MoS did) to have the love interest know the truth from the start now. And I admit to being a fan. But if there is a secret, should Etta know, too, and when should she know?

Julia and Vanessa present? If so, at what phase in Diana's life. They're good civilian supporting cast. I like Etta in that role, too, but I understand if others prefer otherwise. I like the idea of Steve and Etta as they originally were - each tied first and more to Diana than each other. Future "family" members may not be so. Which is fine - over in Batman I like Steph tied to Tim and Cass and Barbara tied to Dick and Cass rather than them first and foremost tied to Batman. Not that DC cares what I like.

It would be important to me that the junior heroes in the family grow up and have their own independent identities and become peers of Diana's, rather that remaining (or reverting to) subordinates forever (hate so much that that has happened in Batman). I don't want her to be a parent to any of the ones we know, but even if I did, I believe the relationship between parent and grown child should be a relationship between equals (though it would be interesting if Diana had a difference perspective - but I've no idea of the historical norms of the era/area she is so extremely loosely tied to). Also, I'm likely to keep no more than two at a time to keep from clutter. Ideally, they would grow up an spin off and have their own supporting casts. I also very much prefer Donna not being Diana's protege - she really wasn't, when she was created. Diana was the sister that had grown up and moved away by time Donna was old enough to know her, and she learned from her mother instead. Maybe Diana could do a little "man's world' guiding is Donna is new to this world (first time back since infancy) but that's all.

I do think it would help to have an idea of what role each character serves in the story and when they enter and exit (as full-time cast).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-04-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Wonder Woman, no longer being a symbol of American ideals (very sad to say), could live anywhere. I think Gateway, particularly Mizunos and W-scotts ideas on that city, should be given a chance in the comic.

I think it should be used to express something iconic about Wonder Woman herself. It could be an important or historic building on Holliday Colleges campus, with employment at that institution.

One thing I'd change about Themyscira would be that it's one of the hardest places in the DC Universe to get access to (similar to the Rock of Eternity) and the only ways to get reliable access would be if the Amazons brought you there or if one the Greek Gods allowed someone through its mystic barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    One thing I'd change about Themyscira would be that it's one of the hardest places in the DC Universe to get access to (similar to the Rock of Eternity) and the only ways to get reliable access would be if the Amazons brought you there or if one the Greek Gods allowed someone through its mystic barriers.
    THIS. I'd employ some wacky magics like planetary alignments or a solar eclipse and a veil of some kind, like a fog or storm cloud or something, and still require a dance or something for the barrier to drop.

But then, that's just the front door. You can always sing the Song of the Dead and travel to Themyscira via the Underworld.