Default CBR Column: Peter and Betty Brant's Short Lived Relationship

After proposing to Mary Jane and getting turned down, Peter and Betty Brant started having a weird thing going on afterwards. The problem? She was married to Ned Leeds! We've seen that Peter still very much loves Mary Jane in this era, but how did this storyline play out? CBR helps break it down: follow the link below!

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-peter...brant-romance/

We need more Philip Chang, he's too cool.

Brad Davis, though, ho ho ho, he's a big movie/game star!

The best thing about Wolfman's run is that everyone is an ass, so I refuse to believe Peter did not smash.

Ned Leeds is a jerk. I'd rather be married to the actual Hobgoblin. I'd rather be married to Mirage!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    After proposing to Mary Jane and getting turned down, Peter and Betty Brant started having a weird thing going on afterwards. The problem? She was married to Ned Leeds! We've seen that Peter still very much loves Mary Jane in this era, but how did this storyline play out? CBR helps break it down: follow the link below!

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-peter...brant-romance/
    Gotta admire Marv Wolfman logic..."MJ was a uncaring skank whose character was altered. I will set things right. Meanwhile, here's Peter having an affair with a married woman."

I mean I guess Wolfman was operating under the logic that Ditko intended Betty to be a love interest except Steve didn't. He kept pitching to Stan to kill Betty but Lee turned him down and so Ditko broke them up eventually and sent her to Ned Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Gotta admire Marv Wolfman logic..."MJ was a uncaring skank whose character was altered. I will set things right. Meanwhile, here's Peter having an affair with a married woman."

I mean I guess Wolfman was operating under the logic that Ditko intended Betty to be a love interest except Steve didn't. He kept pitching to Stan to kill Betty but Lee turned him down and so Ditko broke them up eventually and sent her to Ned Leeds.
    Yeah, it's definitely a strange and weird story choice. It doesn't make Peter or Betty look good.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    We need more Philip Chang, he's too cool.

Brad Davis, though, ho ho ho, he's a big movie/game star!

The best thing about Wolfman's run is that everyone is an ass, so I refuse to believe Peter did not smash.

Ned Leeds is a jerk. I'd rather be married to the actual Hobgoblin. I'd rather be married to Mirage!
    One of the better parts of Dan Slott's run was that he brought back Philip Chang as a scientist working in Parker Industries when the company went worldwide.

Yeah, it's definitely a strange and weird story choice. It doesn't make Peter or Betty look good.
    Uh-huh, and it's (more than) a bit hypocritical on Wolfman's part when you put it like that, Revolutionary_Jack. Or as Linkara from Atop the Fourth Wall would put it, "Our hero, ladies and gentlemen."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Uh-huh, and it's (more than) a bit hypocritical on Wolfman's part when you put it like that, Revolutionary_Jack. Or as Linkara from Atop the Fourth Wall would put it, "Our hero, ladies and gentlemen."
    Wolfman's run is generally weak. His dialogue is generally bad as many have pointed out. That's a problem across his work, even Crisis on Infinite Earths suffers for that.

The one lasting thing is Felicia Hardy and even then the Felicia we know today is the character that Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo reworked and reshaped.

wolfman's run is the cheeks except for this specific very funny story arc
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Wolfman's run is generally weak. His dialogue is generally bad as many have pointed out. That's a problem across his work, even Crisis on Infinite Earths suffers for that.

The one lasting thing is Felicia Hardy and even then the Felicia we know today is the character that Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo reworked and reshaped.
    Poor Marv Wolfman. His legacy with Spider-Man is not the greatest. But with the Titans, it's magnificent.

BANNED

Poor Marv Wolfman. His legacy with Spider-Man is not the greatest. But with the Titans, it's magnificent.
    That's also the case with Dennis O'Neill who followed Wolfman. O'Neill is one of the three most important writers of Batman (alongside Bill Finger and Frank Miller), without question the greatest editor of the Batman titles, and yet he was such a poor fit for Spider-Man. He did create Hydro-Man and Calypso FWIW. It just goes to show a writer can be good at other stuff but be wrong for a certain title/character. The Spider-Man titles were in a funk between Conway's exit and Stern's arrival. Wein's run was solid but more or less building on what Conway set up. Wolfman and O'Neill weren't good, and then Roger Stern arrived and that run started the second golden age that lasted until the arrival of the Robotparents and the Clone Saga. After Stern, you had Defalco, and then Michelinie.

That's also the case with Dennis O'Neill who followed Wolfman. O'Neill is one of the three most important writers of Batman (alongside Bill Finger and Frank Miller), without question the greatest editor of the Batman titles, and yet he was such a poor fit for Spider-Man. He did create Hydro-Man and Calypso FWIW. It just goes to show a writer can be good at other stuff but be wrong for a certain title/character. The Spider-Man titles were in a funk between Conway's exit and Stern's arrival. Wein's run was solid but more or less building on what Conway set up. Wolfman and O'Neill weren't good, and then Roger Stern arrived and that run started the second golden age that lasted until the arrival of the Robotparents and the Clone Saga. After Stern, you had Defalco, and then Michelinie.
    Yes, O'Neil is in the same category of writers who didn't know how to write Spidey. He's a tough character to get.
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 07-04-2019 at 11:33 PM.

His run was pretty short, but the Burglar saga was exceptional. And that seems to be getting an increasing amount of credit for quality.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets