Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast

So really, the only conclusion is that Jason Aaron likes the roid look over natty girls. But wants to couch it as empowering.

I mean I've suspected it from the beginning but dude, issue to issue reversing your stance.

If anything, Wannabe-Savage Hulk there is more objectified than standard She-Hulk ever was. It's like all those creepy fanarts I find when I'm looking for pictures of crossover fights.
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 07-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Avengers #21 has just been released. And after that episode-long rant about refusing to be a sexual object and get undesired sexual reactions... we get this.
    Which only goes to prove it wasn’t a rant about anything of the sort, don’t you think?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    So really, the only conclusion is that Jason Aaron likes the roid look over natty girls. But wants to couch it as empowering.

I mean I've suspected it from the beginning but dude, issue to issue reversing your stance.

If anything, Wannabe-Savage Hulk there is more objectified than standard She-Hulk ever was. It's like all those creepy fanarts I find when I'm looking for pictures of crossover fights.
    pssh shulkie was never natty

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    So it was just the writer cloaking himself in faux wokeness. Feel bad for the people that bought into it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Which only goes to prove it wasn’t a rant about anything of the sort, don’t you think?
    Not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    So it was just the writer cloaking himself in faux wokeness. Feel bad for the people that bought into it.
    Not necessarily, too.

Maybe the writer changed his posture orhe is just playing with She-Hulk being an volatilecharacter who changes of opinion once a month.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Not necessarily.

Not necessarily, too.

Maybe the writer changed his posture orhe is just playing with She-Hulk being an volatilecharacter who changes of opinion once a month.
    Or he's just not that good of a writer. :x

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Or Aaron's not consistent enough .

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    To literally just dilute everything that She-Hulk has been in her entire history to just being T & A is an insult to her as a character and displays blatant lack of the most basic understanding of who she is as a character. She-Hulk is a character who is a strong female character about female empowerment in a way that has quite a bit of depth especially compared to the ‘shout it from the mountaintops, subtle as a Hulk fist’ female empowerment that we get today. This is a character who is comfortable in her own skin even as a Hulk to the degree that she willingly remains as such most of the time and is no more a threat for it. She has the very thing that even the OG Hulk lacks in control. What Jen bares for the world that you call just T & A is what she chooses to bare rather than being restricted simply because she’s a woman. Hell even when it comes to fanservice with the character is blatant tongue-in-cheek, not something that detracts from her character. And as she was before Aaron came along was a lot of things, an Avenger, a member of the F4 so well trusted that Ben trusted her multiple times to stand in for him on the team in his stead, a respected lawyer, as well as the leader of A-Force. She was a fun character but in no way was she a joke. She was a character with depth and Aaron showed both in this issue and in this run that he doesn’t have even the most basic of grasp for the character especially to reduce her to nothing but the dumb muscle of the team. That isn’t empowerment, that is regressive especially for such a strong female character.
    Well said, heck i miss the Slott run where she was a good balance of both Jennifer Walters and She-Hulk...which is big for me because i hate Slott!
    This post CWII versio we have just doesn't have that, not in my eyes at least.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, this was my feelings as well. I thought it was a strong issue and I really liked Aaron's take on Jen and I'm glad he had the space to explore it.

He laid out Jen's state of mind in a compelling way and I appreciated the commentary on Jen always having to be the "sexy" Hulk in order to be more palatable.

As for those who didn't like it, oh well. Somehow Aaron has managed to craft a classic Thor run even while some fans insist that he's "ruined" the character. I think his treatment of Jen will survive similar criticism.
    Well, he certainly took pains to rip Odin to shreds.

His treatment of Jen will hopefully survive in back issues.

When Jen has her entire life turned to utter crap for decades at a time...

...have not one but THREE of her spouses die...

...be hunted by people wanting to kill her or put her in a cage for life...

...deal with her alter-ego cheating on her spouse with her best friends partner...

...be exiled to deep space and made to fight to the death in the Arena...

...find out her future self is a mad tyrant...

...see her mother killed by her father...

...be told by Mephisto that he won’t kill her because it’s more funny to watch her suffer just by living....

...THEN she can complain about Batroc the Leaper making a pass at her.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I'm wondering if this is supposed to be Aaron trying to meet the fans halfway. Jen flirts and has amusing thought bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Avengers #21 has just been released. And after that episode-long rant about refusing to be a sexual object and get undesired sexual reactions... we get this.

LMAO! She looks like a naked dude getting into the water. I have to admit this scene is pretty funny. Especially Cap’s reaction. “Oh lord.” Carol trying to cover up Robbie’s face and him not having any of it as he tries to move away to get a look. Priceless!

On another note I’m still looking forward to the throw down with the Squadron. I hope Aaron doesn’t use the Squadron as fodder and trash them.

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    ...THEN she can complain about Batroc the Leaper making a pass at her.
    Batroc is a perfect gentleman thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post

On another note I’m still looking forward to the throw down with the Squadron. I hope Aaron doesn’t use the Squadron as fodder and trash them.
    It's a version of the team created by Mephisto. Don't expect a strong showing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    LMAO! She looks like a naked dude getting into the water. I have to admit this scene is pretty funny. Especially Cap’s reaction. “Oh lord.” Carol trying to cover up Robbie’s face and him not having any of it as he tries to move away to get a look. Priceless!

Yeah, thanks for pointing out the strip club dichotomy again Carol. Only girls are allowed to oggle.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Is Robbie of age?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm going to respect She Hulk's me too movement. People were making pin ups of her. She was laughed at many times as the lesser Hulk. writers did have villians flirting with her instead of taking her seriously. And as seen by the court room scene in her mind all of her persona's exist but in this era of Time's Up this is the one she feels most comfortable in. Time is up on thinking Jen is just some bombshell hulk who is not to be taken seriously. Now she will be taken as seriously in battles as she is in the court room. I'm here for it while it lasts and to me it was explained greatly. How many men are like oh women don't have to suffer cause their cute and people like them and they should be happy that they are seen that way. It wasn't Bruce's place to tell Jenn how she should or shouldn't feel because he wanted an outlet to complain about his own transformations.
    I simply refuse to believe that Jennifer Could PPOSSIBLY niece that being oggled by fanboys and used as a pinup could I'm any way compare to the shitstorm that is the life of Bruce Banner.

Further... Jen was the one who enjoyed being a seven foot Green goddess who could get with Hercules.

If your going g to write her as havibg second thoughts B
    about how she actively portrayed herself fine... and I suppose that was the point of the court room scene... But it needed more reflection through the inner monologue