Default Eternals (1985) - Was it that bad a series?

I note in all the stories and columns popping up around the Net regarding the Eternals' publishing history, the 1985 maxi-series is never mentioned. They all seem to jump from Kirby to Gaiman. Simonson drew it, didn't he? And wrote the concluding issues. So, it seems to me it couldn't have been that bad. Was it, in fact, that bad?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Was that the series where Ghaur gets the power of the Black Celestial (also known as the Dreaming Celestial)? Yes, that was a forgettable series in my opinion. But I've never liked the aspect of the Eternals that involved what was essentially a race war with the Deviants.

Astonishing Member

It was boring as hell...

I don't remember it well but It seemed dull to me.

The best part about the series was that it introduced us to new Eternals. But that tends to happen whenever they have a series. And now that I think about it, I wonder why there weren't any Eternals or Deviants on the Avengers 1M BC book?

Astonishing Member

It's one of the few mini series from the 1980s that's never been collected.

Sal Buscema drew it, with Peter Gillis as the original writer. Jim Shooter disliked Gillis's writing and fired him, having Walt Simonson write the last 4 issues.

I don't think it particularly bad. But outside the Kirby and Gaiman runs, there's never been that much interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It's one of the few mini series from the 1980s that's never been collected.

Sal Buscema drew it, with Peter Gillis as the original writer. Jim Shooter disliked Gillis's writing and fired him, having Walt Simonson write the last 4 issues.

I don't think it particularly bad. But outside the Kirby and Gaiman runs, there's never been that much interest.
    And yet, they're still apparently getting a movie. I'm guessing more and more people will seek out all of the Eternals runs just out of curiosity alone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    And yet, they're still apparently getting a movie. I'm guessing more and more people will seek out all of the Eternals runs just out of curiosity alone.
    I actually have Eternals (v1 - v4).

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

No, it wasn't bad. It drew a lot more on the relationships between the Eternals and Deviants aside from the "Deviants are just plain bad" sort of thing.

Thanks, all. As I said, I was just curious why the maxi-series is never mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    But ferules is involved so I am not sure if they are rebranding greek characters or using the old MU characters