Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    And it is categorically misrepresenting this issue to call it ‘bad writing’ by any stretch. Do you suggest that any story you don’t personally enjoy is bad writing? Is it always the writer’s fault if you don’t like something? Own your distaste. Tell us what you personally think, not what you want to assert about other people that have clearly passed the bar to write mainstream comics by a country mile.

Perhaps take a moment to look at the critical reviews of this comic. Universally positive so far.
    Mmm. The reviews of the Orville season one were universally negative, and now a lot of critics seemed to have changed their tune. Possibly on realising the general audience loved it.

I’m curious JKtheMac. Have you EVER encountered a comic you thought was actually badly written?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    LOL, you have to admit that's pretty funny.

That's some high level (clears throat) trolling from Aaron.

For all the talk of "sensitivity" on these boards of SJW's and the like there's a lot of hand-wringing going on.

You're telling me She-Hulk fans are not regressive, they want a pretty green bombshell and any deviation is unworthy (pun intended).

If you love the Byrne take, read the Byrne take

There's so much more story to come, there's a reason that a billion dollar company hired Aaron to write the flagship title of their comic publishing arm.
    Yes, but few of any writers are totally flawless in their execution. It is indeed possible for writers to have a brilliant run overall but still occasionally stumble.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Is Robbie of age?
    I forget but I'm pretty sure he's 18 at the least.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yes, but few of any writers are totally flawless in their execution. It is indeed possible for writers to have a brilliant run overall but still occasionally stumble.
    Absolutely, but I think it would be better to judge a run once the full story comes into clear view.

Think about the vitriol that was coming from Spidey fans when Brand New Day started, now I am not arguing the lead up to it wasn't completely asinine, but that run all the way up to Slott's finale is considered one of the greatest runs of Spidey.

Was it 100% perfect absolutely not, but removed from the immediacy of the release date one can look back on it and admire the sheer cope of it. I say this because I remember when Superior Spidey came out folks on these boards were up in arms about the implications of the rape of MJ by Otto and how could Slott do such a thing. Yet, Superior Spidey is considered his best work on Spidey and everybody loves SpOck now.

So, I think it is best not to judge to harshly because the story is not done yet.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Avengers #21 has just been released. And after that episode-long rant about refusing to be a sexual object and get undesired sexual reactions... we get this.

Based Aaron.
    "Cable was right!"

Avengers #21 has just been released. And after that episode-long rant about refusing to be a sexual object and get undesired sexual reactions... we get this.

And don’t forget about how flirty she gets with Blade (despite the fact that she’s supposed to be dating Thor). It’s like writing on schizophrenia.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 07-11-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Absolutely, but I think it would be better to judge a run once the full story comes into clear view.

Think about the vitriol that was coming from Spidey fans when Brand New Day started, now I am not arguing the lead up to it wasn't completely asinine, but that run all the way up to Slott's finale is considered one of the greatest runs of Spidey.

Was it 100% perfect absolutely not, but removed from the immediacy of the release date one can look back on it and admire the sheer cope of it. I say this because I remember when Superior Spidey came out folks on these boards were up in arms about the implications of the rape of MJ by Otto and how could Slott do such a thing. Yet, Superior Spidey is considered his best work on Spidey and everybody loves SpOck now.

So, I think it is best not to judge to harshly because the story is not done yet.
    Minus me.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Minus me.
    How dare you, but I do miss my tubby eight-armed megalomaniac

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And don’t forget about how flirty she gets with Blade (despite the fact that she’s supposed to be dating Thor). It’s like writing on schizophrenia.
    The best description I've read yet of the current characterization of SH, lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

I don’t. And we will never know how the fan reaction may have affected the way that particular plotline developed.

Frankly I think it was horrible.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Oh my God this issue is terrible. Have you ever read something so bad you aren't even disappointed, you just become fascinated at how bad it is?

This. Is. That. Issue.

I want to describe it but nothing I can say will do it "justice"

Remember when Titania let Jane Foster win because they were both women?

Take that and power it up a thousand times and you have this.

It's so bad that I had to turn back to the start of the book to see who was the editor who let this happen. This is what I saw..
    Assistant Editor: Shannon Andrews
    Associate Editor: Alanna Smith
    Editor: Tom Brevoort

This book made it past not one, not two, but there editors.
    Okay, I have gone back and re-read the issue.

And it seems to me that the courtroom scene is pretty pivotal, because in it Jennifer admits quite clearly that she did enjoy being the "sexy" hulk.

I don't agree that Jennifer has any real comparison between what she went thought as a sex-object and what Bruce has endured. To me, that is a completely ludicrous statement. It would like the time I got a bout of food poisoning from a drive-thru and complaining about it to people who are starving. Yes, my experience was awful, but in comparison... well, there simply ISN'T any comparison.

But people are entitled to change their minds. And when you think about it, Tony Stark bathes naked, has frequent trysts, climbs in the hot tub naked and still doesn't get treated like a bit of a joke.

The writing here could have been better, but I don't think its completely off the mark.

7 out of 10 for me.

BANNED

lmao tony and thor excited, carol and steve just wtf, and carol being protective of robbie

I don't know what exactly aaron's going for but it seems to be if she hulk is hulkish she cant be sexualized even if everyone makes sexual comments
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 07-12-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Mmm. The reviews of the Orville season one were universally negative, and now a lot of critics seemed to have changed their tune. Possibly on realising the general audience loved it.
    What? Never heard of it. Maybe there is a reason I have never heard of it? No idea. Can’t judge. Probably a US thing.

I’m curious JKtheMac. Have you EVER encountered a comic you thought was actually badly written?
    Yes. I have posted about them too.

Now stop seeking to undermine my point and maybe address it instead. All you need to do is be subjective and stop attacking professional writers directly.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-12-2019 at 06:14 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I don't agree that Jennifer has any real comparison between what she went thought as a sex-object and what Bruce has endured. To me, that is a completely ludicrous statement.
    As she is not the one comparing, then maybe you didn’t read this as closely as you could have. Bruce compares, she responds then thinks some things and next time they meet the subject doesn’t come up. The only thing Jen does is express some feelings in her narration. Is she not allowed feelings?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I forget but I'm pretty sure he's 18 at the least.
    In his own book he reads as in his mid twenties, holding down a job and looking after a dependent. Clearly of age. Nobody could possibly mistake him for being a minor for example.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-12-2019 at 06:15 AM.