Default Should Steve Orlando be the next writer?

So far when Steve Orlando is around her sales jump and Diana is more like Diana. Do you think he will ever due his own run?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would happily welcome Mr. Orlando to the regular writer's seat. Not only does he get Diana, he knows her history as well.

I've liked very few of the stories by Steve Orlando that I've read.

So of course DC will probably assign him to any book that I might consider trying again.

Orlando has now written six issues of Wonder Woman as a fill-in writer. #51 was great. #52 and #53 were good on action but never really managed to say anything. #54 and #55 had a great idea but felt incoherent as a story and fell hard into the mighty whitey trope, and it felt like it was totally disconnected from Rucka's version of Themyscira (about the only thing that Robinson kept in his run). And how #73 that I think was a fun romp but again tied itself to an unfortunate trope, in that being a good woman was tied to embracing motherhood.

So while I will happily get Orlando on fill-in issues now and again, I do think he needs a lot more editorial direction or framework for his stories, because as a lead writer I don't think he can handle the feminist and subversive elements of Diana at all. But at least he's better than Azzarello, Robinson, or Morrison in that regard.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

Probably not going to happen. Chris Conroy, Orlando's usual editor for stuff like Midnighter/Manhunter and who had the Wonder Woman book left DC editorial and the Wonder Woman book has reverted back to Superman editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    But at least he's better than Azzarello, Robinson, or Morrison in that regard.
    Definitely agreed. Azzarello is probably the biggest offender given the influence of his run extends to the movie and what he did to the Amazons.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-27-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Is there any of his fill arcs you want to see return?

Yes please! #73 was great! I want full arcs from him.

Big no from me!

I’d go for it, if only because he seems interested in Diana’s costumed rogues and we sorely need more of them developed in the title.

Yes, of course. I miss a time when Artemis, Donna and Cassie would drift in and out of the book. With Orlando I think we'd get that along with other prominent Amazons like Atalanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yes, of course. I miss a time when Artemis, Donna and Cassie would drift in and out of the book. With Orlando I think we'd get that along with other prominent Amazons like Atalanta.
    Given the way DC seems to function, I doubt it's up to the writer to include those characters. Well, except Atalanta, but she's hardly prominent.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Given the way DC seems to function, I doubt it's up to the writer to include those characters. Well, except Atalanta, but she's hardly prominent.
    That's because she was in limbo for 30 years until Orlando brought her back and she was featured prominently in that story. Instead of WW bi-weekly which is set to end soon, a second title penned by Orlando featuring a team of Amazons operating in America would be glorious. They could be like Wonder Woman's Outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's because she was in limbo for 30 years until Orlando brought her back and she was featured prominently in that story. Instead of WW bi-weekly which is set to end soon, a second title penned by Orlando featuring a team of Amazons operating in America would be glorious. They could be like Wonder Woman's Outsiders.
    An excellent idea Koriand'r.

Thank you Wonder Scott!

Amazing Member

Hasn't he been inadequate and bad enough?