View Poll Results: Are you excited for Hickman's X-Men?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 76.19%
  • No

25 23.81%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Hickman's a boring writer to me. His work is always a chore to get through, so I'm not excited about him coming aboard to try to fix the X-Men, like so many others seem to be. But I will give him a chance. As bad as the X-Men books have been by and large for the last 20 years, might as well give him a chance.

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

I’m not...not excited? I’m definitely very excited for Silva and Larraz art and I’m excited for (hopefully) a consistent direction on the X-Books, but I haven’t read enough Hickman to be excited about him specifically. I’m definitely very hopeful though and I really want it to be great! Worried a bit about some characters like Storm & Havok, and I'm not a fan of Jean's costume, but again, I have hope that it will all be okay.
    Last edited by DamianWayne1; 07-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    Top DC: Batman, Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown, Barbara Gordon, Red Hood, Flash (Barry), Supergirl, Black Canary, & Green Arrow
    Top Marvel: Jean Grey, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Daredevil, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Magneto, Rogue, Storm, & Havok

BANNED

I guess I'm tentatively excited/cautiously excited. I would love nothing more than a clear direction for my favourite group of heroes in the MU, especially when I'm personally finding little enjoyment in the other two essential Marvel teambooks (Avengers and Fantastic Four) which are tedious and poorly written right now in my opinion. Now, we've been lucky to have a few diamonds among the rough (All-New Wolverine or BUncanny X-Men for example) but it's no secret that the X-Men books have been messy for a long while. I find myself looking back at Carey, KYost & Gillen X-Books (just to pull on recent rereads of mine) longingly, missing the brilliant character interactions and inventive narratives. A lot of the more recent stuff dredges up tired OG X-Men content that doesn't need a fresh take, and chooses to rehash them anyway in the most predictable ways. This does little to appease the loyal readers or do anything we can be excited about. This needs to stop. Beyond that we've had instances of writers ignoring or contradicting what other writers have done - like Rosenberg bringing back a dozen long-dead characters only to kill em off again anyway. We've had great books cancelled before their time. We've had events and tie-ins shoved into books that skewed the narrative progression and altered the writers plans. There have been books forcibly given in a 'take it or leave it' scenario, and disrespect for writers like Sina Grace, as recent evidence has shown. I really hope that Hickman is able to bring some order to the X-Line, almost in an Editor type role, just in shaping the path of the X-Men for the next year or two at the very least. I do feel that Marvel thinks it is now a priority, which may have something to do with them getting film rights back to the characters, but whatever the reasoning, I hope that remains true and we're in for a good shared reading experience.

Now, my concerns primarily stem from what comes after HoX/P10 moreso than what the Hickman series' in July entail.

Who might end up on the creative teams once the new wave of X-books roll out? Guggenheim, Aaron, Soule, Rosenberg and a whole bunch of other bad X-Writers could still be in the running, and I'd rather our precious X-Men didn't fall into the wrong hands. There's no telling what kind of havok they could get up to. Who else has to die? What other lazy plots are shoved down our throats? Art is of course essential, and I'd love nothing more than for Dauterman, Larraz, Silva, To etc. to be on the books long-term. I'll add that I'd much rather art is consistent too. At the very least hold the same artist for the arc- I hate reading a title in trade and having that shift as it changes the tone and interrupts the reading flow.

Just as important are the roster/s. I don't want Fantomex, Xavier, Kitty, Piotr, Rachel, Hope, Madrox, Quentin, Glob etc. (my personal least favourite X-Men) anywhere near the core X-Men ongoing/s. Chances are at least one of them does, but I can only hope as little of them as possible have leading roles. I've come to terms with Xavie being involved- he's pretty much inseparable from the X-Men as their founder (though I still wish they hadn't brought him back) but when it comes to the others I mostly just want a break; I could probably grow to love them, but all of their most recent stories just leave a bad taste in my mouth and I could do with some time to recuperate. Furthermore, there are also certain characters I really do want to be involved. We've had several variations of the exact same team for years. I would love nothing more than to see Dani Moonstar, Sunfire, Frenzy, Blink, Rockslide etc. among the usual suspects (Jean, Scott, Emma, Betsy, Ororo etc.). I'm sure we could handle less Wolverine, the poster child for overexposure, and a little more diversity & 'freshness' when it comes to character archetypes and narratives.

Another concern is a return to status quo. It's not something I think we're likely to see with Hickman himself, who has proven to be all about new things in his other Marvel titles, but that doesn't account for other writers that will be working alongside him or after him. I don't want to see characters reverted to the most basic takes on themselves and years of development flushed away.

I could go on and on, but I guess my main point is yes, I am excited for Hickman's X-Men, but there are conditions, and I hope we don't retread the same mistakes that have been made in the past. Here's to a bright future for our favourite children of the atom.

Added a poll, so be sure to vote.

Part of me wonders if this take on the X-Men won’t serve as the foundation for how they’ll handle the property when they bring it over to the MCU. There’s a good chunk of Hickman in Infinity War and Endgame, so it seems they like his ideas on that side of things. And it seems to me that whatever form the X-Men take in future films will have to be at least a little different.

So maybe this is the testing ground for the next batch of movies. Just a thought.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I I've come to terms with Xavie being involved- he's pretty much inseparable from the X-Men as their founder (though I still wish they hadn't brought him back)
    It was necessary, because otherwise we'd never gotten over the "Cyclops killed him" garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Another concern is a return to status quo. It's not something I think we're likely to see with Hickman himself, who has proven to be all about new things in his other Marvel titles, but that doesn't account for other writers that will be working alongside him or after him. I don't want to see characters reverted to the most basic takes on themselves and years of development flushed away. .
    *cough*Dan Slott's F4 erasing Doom's development of the last 10 years with Hickman and Bendis*cough*.

Well..... I stopped reading Avengers soon after he started writing it. I absolutely hated the characters he created, ex Nihlo and those New Universe ripoffs.

I’ll give it a chance. Hopefully I will like it but that Apocalypse/Moira image already has me turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I’ll give it a chance. Hopefully I will like it but that Apocalypse/Moira image already has me turned off.
    Honestly, the Apocalypse stuff and Moira being back(or are these things taking place in the past?) is the most interesting part for me so far. I love a good Apocalypse story(which there haven't been any since TAS and Simonson's work back in the day), and the franchise has been weaker without Moira. Them kissing is... provocative to say the least. I'm onboard to see where that goes. I absolutely adore the cover of Poccy wading through the reeds[of the Nile?]. I just can sense Hickman's not going to give a good Storm, though, and that is a bit of a buzzkill.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

All-New Member

I'll keep an ear to the ground via the forums, but I don't plan to read it. Too much hype on too little information. Plus, I doubt Polaris will be making much of an appearance if at all.. so meh. I really enjoyed House of M and this just doesn't sound like it'll go anywhere I care about..

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Too little information is a GOOD thing. The fact we know very little about HoX and even less about P10 is a nice contrast to previous events spoiled nearly entirely before they even started.

Mighty Member

Not exactly excited, but I'm sure he'd at least write something interesting. I'm hoping he'd return the X-Men back to prominence in the greater MU.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Had a dream that Hickman was standing over my bed holding a large rock. Before I could fully process this and respond, a bouquet of flowers started to sprout from my mouth. Then they burst into flames and I woke up.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

As other people have said, I'm more excited about the X-Men franchise apparently finally having a clear direction. And the art looks amazing. And this is the first like, reeeal relaunch since Ressurxion, so I'm inherently excited for that.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I couldn't be more excited. If you had asked me a year ago who I would have wanted on the X-Men if I could have any writer, I would have said Jonathan Hickman or Geoff Johns were my top choices, probably with Jonathan having a slight edge due to the fact he had already expressed an interest in the X-Men in the past.

I don't need previews, character line ups or teasers to get excited, the man's work speaks for itself.
    Same. I couldn’t be more excited about this, and the X-men being consciously returned to prominence by Marvel. The comparisons to Grant Morrison’s New X-men, Age of Apocalypse and the launch of the Claremont/Lee adjectiveless X-men #1 get me really jazzed, as I loved all of those stories so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    As other people have said, I'm more excited about the X-Men franchise apparently finally having a clear direction. And the art looks amazing. And this is the first like, reeeal relaunch since Ressurxion, so I'm inherently excited for that.
    This is honestly a point that can't be stressed enough. Regardless of my liking of Hickman it helps a lot that he seems pretty clear in what he wants to do. Everyone else in recent times just seemed like they were just throwing things up or being forced into certain directions.