View Poll Results: Are you excited for Hickman's X-Men?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 76.19%
  • No

25 23.81%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Or access to teleporters.

Incredible Member

I'm always excited for new X-Men comics. What I don't like is people who can't use the English language criticising writers who actually can, and that is what will happen here.

It's Hickman.

While I would bet on good things happening, the property is really beside the point. The only thing that really matters here is that it will be Hickman writing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It's Hickman.

While I would bet on good things happening, the property is really beside the point. The only thing that really matters here is that it will be Hickman writing.
    This is pretty much where I'm at.

I love the old X-Men comics and bits and pieces here and there after Claremont's first departure, but Hickman is right that it is convoluted nonsense most of the time. It's exciting that it has a new jumping on point and Marvel putting effort into it after a long time again. It being a big name writer is a bonus.

I really don't care what he does lol, I'm on board. The X-Books have seemed to be a directionless wasteland for a while now.

Honestly, I'm a lot more excited than I thought I'd be (and that started happening before it was confirmed Monet would have a decently-sized role). I think my initial disappointment was toward wanting to see someone from a marginalized group take-over after the promising Age of X-Man creative teams, but I think Hickman has enough clout to really reset the damage the brand has kind of suffered for many years now.

I also really love everything he has to say in interviews and have only really not liked the Jean-Marvel Girl attire in the previews.

After interacting with Jordan White and Matt Rosenberg on here and on social media, my hype has hit dead zero. Marvel can claim all they want Hickman has complete creative freedom, but everything we've seen to this point screams to the contrary. At the end of the day, if White wants something done in the books (A mopey Cyclops, a stupid evil Magneto, a stupid evil Emma) it will happen, and Hickman gets to decide the window dressing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    After interacting with Jordan White and Matt Rosenberg on here and on social media, my hype has hit dead zero. Marvel can claim all they want Hickman has complete creative freedom, but everything we've seen to this point screams to the contrary. At the end of the day, if White wants something done in the books (A mopey Cyclops, a stupid evil Magneto, a stupid evil Emma) it will happen, and Hickman gets to decide the window dressing on it.
    Huh???? Hickman has way more pull than White. He ended the entire line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Huh???? Hickman has way more pull than White. He ended the entire line.
    White is still the editor. Hickman is a big name writer, but he still answers to White. And if recent Twitter discussions with White are anything to go by, White still wants things done HIS way, which means Hickman has to work around those constraints.

White is still the editor. Hickman is a big name writer, but he still answers to White. And if recent Twitter discussions with White are anything to go by, White still wants things done HIS way, which means Hickman has to work around those constraints.
    Assumes that "His" way isn't what Hickman intended on doing the entire time.

Think about Hickman's entire career, and then ask yourself how likely the scenario you laid out actually is.

If Bendis can do what he wants, why wouldn’t Hickman be able to? I’m sure he’ll still listen to him, but JDW doesn’t let his opinions inform the story as much as people think. If you didn’t like the way Cyclops or Emma were portrayed (I hated it too), then that has more to do with Rosenberg’s creative decisions than it does White’s opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    If Bendis can do what he wants, why wouldn’t Hickman be able to? I’m sure he’ll still listen to him, but JDW doesn’t let his opinions inform the story as much as people think. If you didn’t like the way Cyclops or Emma were portrayed (I hated it too), then that has more to do with Rosenberg’s creative decisions than it does White’s opinions.
    Hickamn has Cebulski and the president of marvel comics on his side. no way JDW can command Hickman to do something like he doesn't to do. Specially with Hickman faves.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Hickamn has Cebulski and the president of marvel comics on his side. no way JDW can command Hickman to do something like he doesn't to do. Specially with Hickman faves.
    Never mind that Hickman is the last writer on the planet who would go for that, and has no shortage of potential work that he could take.

The idea that he willingly signs onto a job where he would be taking orders makes right around "Zero..." sense.

The editor can always overrule the writer because they have to consider many more things and work in a shared universe. The writer will not be able to do everything they want. The editor's job is to help and guide the writer to tell their story and make it as good as possible. The good editor will not hamstring the writer by imposing personal opinions on characters like laws when they are not coming up with the new directions for the characters. This is a collaboration, not a master/herald relationship where we have to figure out who has the power needed to make the other his bitch.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

If it's more like his work on Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four, I think I'll have a good time. And, I definitely want a shift away from the current status quo. But, if I'm being honest, none of the promotional materials they've put out so far have grabbed my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The editor can always overrule the writer because they have to consider many more things and work in a shared universe. The writer will not be able to do everything they want. The editor's job is to help and guide the writer to tell their story and make it as good as possible. The good editor will not hamstring the writer by imposing personal opinions on characters like laws when they are not coming up with the new directions for the characters. This is a collaboration, not a master/herald relationship where we have to figure out who has the power needed to make the other his bitch.
    This. Or at least this is the way it should go. There have been writers in the past that have talked about their frustrations with the editorial team.

I'm very excited for the Hickman era. I think we have to be open minded and see where this goes. So far the preview pages have me intrigued about what is going on. Where are the X-men living these days? What is their relationship to the social structure? What is Xavier's vision for the future?

I can't wait to see what voice Hickman gives Scott and Jean. I also hope to see more Storm since she's largely been absent from most of the previews. I'm over the moon that Hickman is using Husk and M. There are things to be excited about. I don't think Hickman will write Emma as a villain. I am hoping he will use her more in line with how Morrison wrote her.

I hope he writes strong women and minority characters because I am worried about having a writer who mostly writes strong white male characters and centers them over all else. We have had so much of that lately.