Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Legion of Super-heroes recommendations

Hi all! After the announcement of the revival of the Legion in Septermber I decided to finally read my copy of "The Great Darkness Saga" and I have to say I liked it more that I expected and now I want more!
    I have already read "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" by Johns and I also have his "Legion of 3 Worlds".
    Are the two books by Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Abnett.../dp/1401276369 and https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Abnett.../dp/1401280404) and these two Legionnaires books (https://www.amazon.com/Legionnaires-...s=books&sr=1-2 and https://www.amazon.com/Legionnaires-...s=books&sr=1-1) any good?
    Apart from these four books, I would really appreciate the recommendations of the Legion fans on what to read next, preferably stories set after "The Great Darkness Saga". Many thanks in advance!

Extraordinary Member

I would suggest reading The Curse, which comes directly after The Great Darkness Saga. Not all of it is as good as its predecessor (Keith Giffen's art changes drastically about the middle of this collection) but it's still a great read.

The Abnett/Lanning/Coipel stuff is very good, but that stuff isn't in the collections you posted. It's when their actual regular series takes off that they settle in to something really good, imo. Those were the end of the previous series and the "Legion Lost" mini that bridged the gap between. "Lost" is pretty good, though it's darker than usual Legion stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I would suggest reading The Curse, which comes directly after The Great Darkness Saga. Not all of it is as good as its predecessor (Keith Giffen's art changes drastically about the middle of this collection) but it's still a great read.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I have seen that, but the print version is quite expensive, so I am waiting for a sale on Comixology, which I expect will happen closer to the release of Bendis's Legion.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The Abnett/Lanning/Coipel stuff is very good, but that stuff isn't in the collections you posted. It's when their actual regular series takes off that they settle in to something really good, imo. Those were the end of the previous series and the "Legion Lost" mini that bridged the gap between. "Lost" is pretty good, though it's darker than usual Legion stuff.
    Cool, thanks. I forgot to ask about the 2005 Legion of Super-Heroes series, first by Waid and Kitson and then by Shooter and Manapul. Are these runs any good?

Fantastic Member

Are there any plans for re-prints of stories from the first 2 volumes of "Legion of Super-heroes" or from the "Five Years Later" era?

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Cool, thanks. I forgot to ask about the 2005 Legion of Super-Heroes series, first by Waid and Kitson and then by Shooter and Manapul. Are these runs any good?
    Personally, I was not a fan of that entire iteration of the team. (the "threeboot" as it's frequently called, or the "eat it grandpa" Legion)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Personally, I was not a fan of that entire iteration of the team. (the "threeboot" as it's frequently called, or the "eat it grandpa" Legion)
    I've heard that's a popular opinion.

Personally, the only version of the Legion that I ever read was the reboot version started after Zero Hour in 1994. That's the two TPBs listed as "Legionnaires" in the Amazon links in the first post, above. I really enjoyed that version. One of these days, I want to hunt down the back issues to get a complete set of everything featuring that version of the Legion. They lasted about a decade, so it was a limited enough run to possibly be a completionist about it, especially since I already have the first half or so.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There are two trades they did that collect the first year of the first Legion relaunch series (usually called the Baxter series). This series picks right up from their old book. I am not sure how available they are, but they are well worth reading if you can find them. It is a real crime that more of this series has not been collected since this is some of Paul Levitz's best work, and yet there are over 50 issues that have never been collected in any trade.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 06-29-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There are a few more issue of the Baxter series (issue 37-38) collected in the Man of Steel vol 4 trade. The Legion book did a crossover with the Superman books that lasted 4 issues with a story called The Death of Superboy

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There are two trades they did that collect the first year of the first Legion relaunch series (usually called the Baxter series). This series picks right up from their old book. I am not sure how available they are, but they are well worth reading if you can find them. It is a real crime that more of this series has not been collected since this is some of Paul Levitz's best work, and yet there are over 50 issues that have never been collected in any trade.

I plan to read these, if not in print, which seems a bit difficult, through Comixology.
    Regarding the follow-up series, "Five Years Later", I've heard that it's hard for new readers to get on board. If I have read "The Great Darkness Saga", "The Curse", "An Eye for an Eye" and "The More Things Change" will I be able to understands what's going on in "Five Years Later"?

I plan to read these, if not in print, which seems a bit difficult, through Comixology.
    Regarding the follow-up series, "Five Years Later", I've heard that it's hard for new readers to get on board. If I have read "The Great Darkness Saga", "The Curse", "An Eye for an Eye" and "The More Things Change" will I be able to understands what's going on in "Five Years Later"?
    Totally. You might miss one or two things here and there, but you should have no problems with the 5YL series if you've read those.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Hi all! After the announcement of the revival of the Legion in Septermber I decided to finally read my copy of "The Great Darkness Saga" and I have to say I liked it more that I expected and now I want more!
    I have already read "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" by Johns and I also have his "Legion of 3 Worlds".
    Are the two books by Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Abnett.../dp/1401276369 and https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Abnett.../dp/1401280404) and these two Legionnaires books (https://www.amazon.com/Legionnaires-...s=books&sr=1-2 and https://www.amazon.com/Legionnaires-...s=books&sr=1-1) any good?
    Apart from these four books, I would really appreciate the recommendations of the Legion fans on what to read next, preferably stories set after "The Great Darkness Saga". Many thanks in advance!
    Yes the Legionnaires book are really good. To inform you though the Legionnaires books happen before the Dan Abnett and Andy books.

Retired

I always find it astounding that people jump into the Legion with the Great Darkness Saga and they don't feel the need to go back and read at least some of the previous stories to figure out how things got this way. That's the kind of thing that would bother me, but it doesn't bother other people.

So jumping into 5YL is probably very easy for some and maybe better not knowing what was supposed to have happened. I could never figure it out myself. How did Timber Wolf become Furball? It's probaby better to read it like an Elseworlds, where you just know stuff happened in the past, but all you have is the present story and you have to appreciate it as its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always find it astounding that people jump into the Legion with the Great Darkness Saga and they don't feel the need to go back and read at least some of the previous stories to figure out how things got this way. That's the kind of thing that would bother me, but it doesn't bother other people.
    I'm the same way. As I said above, I jumped into the Legion after Zero Hour, so that's the only version I know. I considered going back and reading some of the older Legion stuff, especially since I kept hearing how great it was, but I never knew where to start. And I always heard great things about the Great Darkness Saga, but never read it, because I always figured I should read some of the earlier stuff that leads into it first.