Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    The pretentious assertion isn't without merit. Robert Plant later regretted a lot of the lyrical content of the song. It's still awesome though, as are Zeppelin. So, yeah, BLASPHEMY!
    Well, what about the story that Jimmy Page ripped off the opening guitar riff from someone else’s song?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, what about the story that Jimmy Page ripped off the opening guitar riff from someone else’s song?
    Taurus by Spirit. It's still in Court.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This might be seen as blasphemy to some, but I've always found "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin to be pretentious crapola. In fact, I've NEVER understood the appeal of that band.
    I love Zeppelin but I can't stand the Beatles. I've never understood why they are as revered as they are.

Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple.

I HATE this song and its riff. Goes back to having to play it endlessly in junior high school band.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple.

I HATE this song and its riff. Goes back to having to play it endlessly in junior high school band.
    Even the Simpsons version?
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

I hate most "white guy rap" since too many of the songs overuse high pitched, eardrum piercing sounds. The whiney note from House of Pain's 'Jump Around' and the parrot squawk from Eminem's 'My Name Is' are my two most hated. The effect those two overused sounds have on me is about the same a fingernails on a chalkboard to anyone else.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

It's still ongoing is all that. The original song was by a Californian band called Spirit. There's an unmistakable similarity between the two songs in places. I think I linked it on the Classic Rock Appreciation Thread one time.

Do Nirvana count as Classic FM? If so any of their dirges always get me switching radio stations as well.

Astonishing Member

Michael Martin Murphey singing Wildfire

Invincible Member

This might be seen as blasphemy to some, but I've always found "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin to be pretentious crapola. In fact, I've NEVER understood the appeal of that band.
    This was going to be my entry. When I was younger I was part of the "Led Zeppelin? Bah, Humbug," crowd. But later learned to respect and even enjoy much of their music. But to this day, I still can't listen to Stairway to Heaven all the way through. At one point I literally owned "Zeppelin 4" on vinyl and never played that song.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Michael Martin Murphey singing Wildfire
    OMG I love this song! Especially the longer version with the piano intro and outro.

I prepare myself for anger and calls for my banishment, but I'll say it anyway. There are not enough words for me to say how much I HATE Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Stupidest song I've ever heard, and it did not deserve to be resurrected by that stupid Wayne's World movie.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

For me, just about anything by Dire Straits. I find them boring nowadays and I really didn't care much for their stuff anyway. And I'll agree with Stairway to Heaven too.

Man, this thread is zero fun.

Next thing you know, someone is going to figure out a way not to like Thin Lizzy.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    For me it's :
    "Walk, like a man" (for #$% sake ! SING like a man!)
    Nothing sexist about this.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Next thing you know, someone is going to figure out a way not to like Thin Lizzy.
    Who?

Took me a minute to even think of a song by them. Only one I came up with was The Boys are Back in Town which while not on my utter hate list is one that I don't care if I never hear again.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    With a title like "Classic FM songs you CANT STAND!", I guess I was expecting something different.

At least half the music mentioned here were AM Top 40 songs when I was a kid.

I guess it's a generational thing, and for some of those songs, maybe you "had to be there".
    I get where you're coming across. Obviously, today, AM radio is comprised of conservative talk, Mexican radio, and sports and is not as much of a means for stations to rely on income when it comes to music, but back when AM was the dominant frequency, it was the bastion for what was popular on the airwaves.