Default The Original Golden Age Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This is thread should not be confused with the previous "Terry Sloane Appreciation" thread, which was for the New52 Earth 2 version of "Terry Sloan" as well as the original Golden Age Terry Sloane, and which can be read here:nor should it be confused with the current Michael Holt version, who has his own separate appreciation thread:

The Golden Age version of Mr. Terrific, Terry Sloane, first appeared in Sensation Comics #1 (January 1942), a book that starred Wonder Woman and also was the first appearance of Wildcat (among others).

Mr. Terrific's one appearance with the Justice Society of America in an issue of All Star Comics back during the Golden Age was in issue#24 (cover-dated Spring 1945):

I appreciate all these Golden Age appreciation threads. Nice look into DC and comic book history.

I’m not too familiar with Golden Age Mr. Terrific, but I’ll have to fix that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    . . . Iím not too familiar with Golden Age Mr. Terrific, but Iíll have to fix that. :P
    I was first introduced to the character (as well as many other of DC's Golden Age heroes) in Justice League of America #101 (September 1972):

Since other heroes from the Justice League of America and Justice Society of America were already travelling through time to find the missing members of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, the late-comers Golden Age Green Lantern, Mr. Terrific, and the Earth-2 version of Robin went in search of finding out who was in that grave for the Unknown Soldier of Victory.
    (Who that was revealed in issue #102.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I was first introduced to the character (as well as many other of DC's Golden Age heroes) in Justice League of America #101 (September 1972):

Since other heroes from the Justice League of America and Justice Society of America were already travelling through time to find the missing members of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, the late-comers Golden Age Green Lantern, Mr. Terrific, and the Earth-2 version of Robin went in search of finding out who was in that grave for the Unknown Soldier of Victory.
    (Who that was revealed in issue #102.)
    Awesome, love that artwork. I’ll have to get myself to those issues somehow, because that looks like it’s a really interesting storyline.

What do you find interesting about Terry Sloane? I notice you a lot around the board, especially with the Golden Age threads. So I’m going to pick at your brain.

JLA 101 was just before my time (I was 3) so I got that crossover as a back issue while collecting the whole original run of JLA. I was introduced to him in the JLA/JSA crossover in which he was killed and it made me totally fascinated with him. He's still a sentimental favorite to me, as are all Golden/Silver/Bronze Age JSA characters. The New 52 attempts to reimagine such great characters was really disappointing to me.

Here's hoping Mister Terrific is a part of whatever the return of the JSA will turn out to be, whether in/after Doomsday Clock or in Snyder's JL.

I'm loving how many classic characters and concepts are being 'rebirthed' at DC lately.

from Sensation Comics #2 (February 1942):

from Sensation Comics #3 (March 1942):

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    JLA 101 was just before my time (I was 3) so I got that crossover as a back issue while collecting the whole original run of JLA. I was introduced to him in the JLA/JSA crossover in which he was killed and it made me totally fascinated with him. He's still a sentimental favorite to me, as are all Golden/Silver/Bronze Age JSA characters. The New 52 attempts to reimagine such great characters was really disappointing to me.

Here's hoping Mister Terrific is a part of whatever the return of the JSA will turn out to be, whether in/after Doomsday Clock or in Snyder's JL.

I'm loving how many classic characters and concepts are being 'rebirthed' at DC lately.
    I had pretty much the same exposure as you, initially.
    He always seemed a cool character (too cool to live, obviously). I was actually hoping this thread would say he’s definitely coming back. While I like the Holt version, I think the original would give DC a chance to do a fresh man out of time angle that hasn’t been seen since Captain America’s very early days.
    Ah well; Excellent thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I had pretty much the same exposure as you, initially.
    He always seemed a cool character (too cool to live, obviously). I was actually hoping this thread would say heís definitely coming back. While I like the Holt version, I think the original would give DC a chance to do a fresh man out of time angle that hasnít been seen since Captain Americaís very early days.
    Ah well; Excellent thread!!!
    Well, he did show up (in his own time period) a few times during Geoff Johns' JSA run.

And it looked like he might make a return (of sorts) during the New52, but that never exactly happened.

I remember the JSA cameos fondly....

And wow, I have never seen that concept are before. It’s...great!

(Bet you thought I was gonna say terrific)

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I remember the JSA cameos fondly....

And wow, I have never seen that concept are before...
    It was part of a two-page spread of concept sketches for various DC New52 books that was originally published in comic books back in January of 2012.

Here's the complete thing:

^^^Sweet!

I’d stopped collecting at that time so never saw that. Any idea who’s all the way to the right, in the red background? Looks like Flash Gordon!