Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    JK back as J Jonah Jameson/Spidey outed as Peter Parker/ No multiverse Beck is a disgruntled Stark employee/ Fury and Maria hill are Skrulls talos and his wife(Seems to be no evil intention they just feeling in while Fury is in space. Probaly settling up Fury for CM 2)/ umm i havent seen it et so that's all I got for you.
    Fair enough. Thanks.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Quick recap: Basically Beck and former ticked off employees from Stark Industries are helping him masquerade as Mysterio, including the "box of scraps" guy from Iron Man in 2008. Beck was the guy who developed the holographic Stark tech from Iron Man 3 when Tony gave that speech at the university. Beck was soon let go because he was deemed too unstable by Tony. He manages to trick "Fury" into believing he is from another world where elemental creatures have destroyed his family. He is basically deemed a hero after stopping the elementals, with some help from Spider Man, who was brought in via Fury. This all happens on Peter's school trip. Parker has been having mixed emotions though after Tony leaves him some stark tech after his death. Parker feels he can't live up to what Tony was. After bonding with Beck, he eventually gives Starks tech to him believing he should be the next Iron Man instead. Then the Mysterio reveal happens. The monsters are just projections from a ton of holo droids. They also cause the damage to the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    It's basically another Jarvis type of tech, but utilized in sunglasses form. Called Edith. Beck with his hands on it basically just gives him more access to superior tech, and makes his quest to be Earth's next Iron Man through the public lense easier.

A big idea in this film seems to be public perception, and control through illusions, making people believe what you want them to believe. Prepare yourselves for the political allegories fallout within the next week. Gonna be a doozy.
    Hmm, sounds like it'll be an interesting movie, and more complex than I thought it'd be. Maybe even dipping into similar territory to Daredevil Season 3, where Fisk was able to make himself out to be a hero despite his checkered past and Daredevil out to be the real villain.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Loved it! Mysterio was awesome and I loved the way they visualized the illusions in this. Finally glad we now have spoilers:
    JJJ and The Daily Bugle. Was pleasantly surprised that they again with JK. But honestly, there is no one else who can play the character as far as I am concerned
    end of spoilers

Saw the movie and, I know I'll be in the low minority but it was a meh movie for me. There were somethings I liked about it but ultimately I don't think it will be all that memorable to me.

It was better than Homecoming which is not really saying much bc I was not that big of a fan of Homecoming. And much like Homecoming only the villain left a decent impression.

Jake Gyllenhaal is superb, but he's a world class actor tho so I did not except anything less. He was charismatic as Quenten Beck, when on screen he was always the center of attention and when he was supposed to be threatening it really felt like it was a threat. I'm glad they chose him to play mysterio and I'm glad that they finally brought Mysterio to the big screen. He was always thought to be one of those villains that can't be adapted but he can be and there were moments in this movie that had some potential to be even more awesome.

There were two big Mysterio moments that I just absolutely loved and it really reminded me, in a good way of Batman Arkham Asylum. When thinking of this movie in the future those two moments will be what I think of.

What I didn't like: Pretty much everything else but there are three Big and Key things that just annoy me so I'll focus on those.

1. Once again Disney Comedy falls flat. There were moments in here that were supposed to be funny but it fell completely flat for me. I mean I might have chuckled the first time I heard the 'Peter Tingle' bit but they kept repeating it and then I was like okay come on. At the climax was really hoping Peter would say something along the lines of okay Spider-Sense do your thing.....but again he went with Peter tingle....ugh.

2. Once again the Tony Stark worship. I just do not like the fact that the angle that they went for with Tom Holland's Peter Parker was that he worships the very ground Tony Stark walks on. There's a difference between being a mentor and then sheer unadulterated hero worship. This Peter Parker reminds of Increda-kid or Increda-boy from the Incredibles. Jesus. Instead of focusing on being the next Iron Man he should have focused more on being a better Spider-Man, listening to himself instead of other. That's one of the things I love about Spider-Man he wasn't the side kick or the guy that had the mentorship. He had to rely on himself, and his own sense of morals to guide him through stuff.

I think in the first fight scene with the 'Elementals' after Beck shows up he's like hey guy I've never seen before what can I do to help. Like what the heck, jump in there and do something don't ask someone else or wait for someone else to tell you to help. Now that Tony is dead he's looking for someone to tell him what to do....still. I was hoping after homecoming and Infinity and Endgame he would be getting more confident in himself but that's not the case here.

3. Lastly, the biggest crime is that this movie does not take place in New York City. Last I checked Spider-Man was a New York City hero, we're two movies into the Holland era and there is barely any New York City set pieces to work with. In Homecoming the biggest action scene takes place in Washington DC and now in Far From home it's in Europe. Like what the heck man. This movie could have been so much better in New York. Beck trying to be the next Iron Man and he's starting in Stark's Home Town and not only Stark's Home town but the Avengers former place. The very last 2 minutes of the movie took place in NYC but that's 2mins too little. Just ugh. So annoying. Spider-Man does occasionally get wrapped up in situation that take him out of NYC but we've seen that in Infinity War and Endgame. so this movie should have stuck closer to home.

Tom Holland is great actor but so far he is my least favorite Spider-Man and that's purely bc of how the MCU is portraying him currently. He's more ultimate Spider-Man and ultimate Spider-Man is trash, IMO. Also he's terrible at keeping his identity secret. As it stands for me Spider-Man Far from home is towards the bottom of the Spider-Man movie list.

Spider-Man 2 is still the reigning champion of Spider-Man movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Jake Gyllenhaal is superb, but he's a world class actor tho so I did not except anything less. He was charismatic as Quenten Beck, when on screen he was always the center of attention and when he was supposed to be threatening it really felt like it was a threat. I'm glad they chose him to play mysterio and I'm glad that they finally brought Mysterio to the big screen. He was always thought to be one of those villains that can't be adapted but he can be and there were moments in this movie that had some potential to be even more awesome.
    Dude seemed like he was having a blast. He usually gives a great performance. But he went that extra mile here. Fans (including myself) have wanted to see Mysterio given the big screen treatment due to the visual buffet that comes with his motif. Glad to say, the wait was worth it. The first battle between him and Peter proper was beautifully choreographed as well.

1. Once again Disney Comedy falls flat. There were moments in here that were supposed to be funny but it fell completely flat for me. I mean I might have chuckled the first time I heard the 'Peter Tingle' bit but they kept repeating it and then I was like okay come on. At the climax was really hoping Peter would say something along the lines of okay Spider-Sense do your thing.....but again he went with Peter tingle....ugh.
    Some of the jokes were run into the ground. But the majority of it was situational. It was far less intrusive here than GOTG 2 and Thor: Ragnarok. It was also nowhere near as bad as some of the gags in Endgame. I think they needed something lighthearted after Infinity War/Endgame.

2. Once again the Tony Stark worship. I just do not like the fact that the angle that they went for with Tom Holland's Peter Parker was that he worships the very ground Tony Stark walks on. There's a difference between being a mentor and then sheer unadulterated hero worship. This Peter Parker reminds of Increda-kid or Increda-boy from the Incredibles. Jesus. Instead of focusing on being the next Iron Man he should have focused more on being a better Spider-Man, listening to himself instead of other. That's one of the things I love about Spider-Man he wasn't the side kick or the guy that had the mentorship. He had to rely on himself, and his own sense of morals to guide him through stuff.
    I somewhat agree here. Some level of Tony worship was to be expected after his sacrifice in Endgame. His presence does cast a shadow and it is constant throughout the film. My gripe is that, with Quentin Beck, we now have two villains (in two films) who "exist" due to something Tony Stark has done. Vulture felt Tony didn't care about the "little guy" and Beck hates him because Tony took credit for his technology. If they keep this up, all of Spider-man's villains will have ties with Stark.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Alex Jones in his energy level? Or is he yelling about Lizard People and interdimensional vampires stealing our babies? You know normal Alex Jones ****.

So did Ned get snapped? Cause I've seen them in interviews and the actor who plays ned seems like its 40. In Homecoming I bought him as a highschool kid but on Kimmel, I was like oh no hes 45.

Also alot of non Spoiler reviews ive watched seem to say they do a good job fleshing out MJ in this movie.
    Jameson is given altered footage of Spider-man's final confrontation with Mysterio (which was staged by Mysterio and his crew). In it, Beck says to the camera that all the destruction caused in the London climax was done by Spider-man (it was done by Mysterio). He then reveals Peter's identity to the world. It cuts off and you hear the gunshot (Mysterio tried to trick Peter with a decoy illusion and tries to shoot Peter point blank in the head. But Peter's spider-sense warns him in time to dodge it).

The whole world comes to think Mysterio is a big hero. Along with his death, and the footage, Jameson clearly blames Spider-man for it. Jameson doesn't go on a rant about other heroes. Just Spider-man. Thus setting up the public menace stuff from the comics.

The Jameson here is the exact same. But rather than newspaper publisher, they go with how recent comics have portrayed him in that he has his own show.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Jameson is given altered footage of Spider-man's final confrontation with Mysterio (which was staged by Mysterio and his crew). In it, Beck says to the camera that all the destruction caused in the London climax was done by Spider-man (it was done by Mysterio). He then reveals Peter's identity to the world. It cuts off and you hear the gunshot (Mysterio tried to trick Peter with a decoy illusion and tries to shoot Peter point blank in the head. But Peter's spider-sense warns him in time to dodge it).

The whole world comes to think Mysterio is a big hero. Along with his death, and the footage, Jameson clearly blames Spider-man for it. Jameson doesn't go on a rant about other heroes. Just Spider-man. Thus setting up the public menace stuff from the comics.

The Jameson here is the exact same. But rather than newspaper publisher, they go with how recent comics have portrayed him in that he has his own show.
    Yeah, but why reveal his identity publically like that? What’s that supposed to accomplish? Is he going to stop being spider man? We sure as heck know working for the daily bugle is out now. Where is peter supposed to go to from here?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Yeah, but why reveal his identity publically like that? What’s that supposed to accomplish? Is he going to stop being spider man? We sure as heck know working for the daily bugle is out now. Where is peter supposed to go to from here?
    I thought they were setting that up when they showed him swinging through New York on his way to meet MJ taking selfies. The only way I see them backpedaling on that is if Fury (or Stark/the Avengers) steps in and pulls some strings to denounce it.

I think they are trying to hammer home the "Peter taking over for Stark" thread. Except Stark willingly revealed his identity and Peter had his revealed against his will.

If they do carry on with his identity being public knowledge, I wonder how that might impact on the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I thought they were setting that up when they showed him swinging through New York on his way to meet MJ taking selfies. The only way I see them backpedaling on that is if Fury (or Stark/the Avengers) steps in and pulls some strings to denounce it.

I think they are trying to hammer home the "Peter taking over for Stark" thread. Except Stark willingly revealed his identity and Peter had his revealed against his will.

If they do carry on with his identity being public knowledge, I wonder how that might impact on the comics.

Revealing his identity this early in his tenure is stupid, they've clearly established he's not equipped to be Spider-Man or even the next Iron Man like they are trying to hammer home. Even in the Comics when they did reveal his identity he had been Spider-Man for years and the fallout from that was disastrous. Aunt May was shot, his friends turned on him, He sacrified his marriage....etc...etc.... Just read the real Civil War. Time and Time again has shown that Spider-Man revealing his identity is not a good thing. It works for Tony Stark but just bc it worked for one character doesn't mean it will for another.

I do think that revealing his identity was another attempt at humor. Look how it ended, it ended with him saying the same thing that his Aunt said in the first film when she found out. And also I'm not sure on the logic of how what Beck did in London makes him a hero on the level of the Avengers tho? He literally just appeared on the scene and suddenly he's a worldwide sensation? A leap in Logic there.

When I saw that mid-credit bit the first thing that came to mind was this

We'll have to wait for the answer to that question in the third and hopefully final entry in the Holland Era Spider-Man. At this point I'm more interested in seeing into the Spider-Verse part 2. Its funny Spider-Man had to go to Marvel for me to appreciate the Sony Spider-Man stuff.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

These flicks could easily have just been a new character named Iron Lad, and worked exactly the same.

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Holland is coming into his own, now more so than ever with Tony gone, though I do agree with the Tony worship being a bit much, though it's understandable that Peter would still be mourning since timeline wise we're just a few months removed from those events.

Jake Gyllenhaal was great, I really enjoyed his Mysterio, it was definitely faithful to the character with him being a showman and deceiver. Yet he was so convincing to the point where I was starting to buy into his whole "multiverse" story full well knowing Mysterio's history. It's basically just proves that Gyllenhaal is a great actor since it was like he was playing two characters in this movie, the noble honorable righteous Mysterio, and the sleeze bag we all know as Mysterio in the comics. I also liked his relationship with Peter, since they have some genuine heart to heart conversations, but Mysterio's playing him the whole time and taking advange of Peter's loss and him yearning for a mentor figure, which makes the bar reveal all the more dramatic and gut punching.

I haven't seen much talk on Zendaya but I loved her in the film and I say that as someone who was iffy on her in Homecoming and worried about the "MJ" reveal. Her and Holland have some pretty good chemistry. Seeing Peter trying his best to impress her and tell her how he feels, yet constantly getting interrupted by hero stuff is classic Spidey. Yet that brings me to another thing I didn't really like and that was Brad. He felt like an unnecessary add on if I'm being honest. His sole reason for being in the movie is to show the consequences of the "blip" and be a love rival to Peter, yet that in itself was dumb since MJ wasn't even into him, so he felt useless and really contributed nothing to the plot. But back to MJ, I know people will never consider her the "real" Mary Jane, yet I don't even think she's meant to be. She's MJ in name only, her personality is different her view of things are different her attitude is different. Not to mention she's Michelle Jones, not Mary Jane.

Also thank the heavens they brought back JK Simmons there is literally no other actor dead or alive qualified to play Jameson, he was born for the role. I wonder how heavily he'll be involved in the 3rd movie. Also that brings me to the ending, holy crap, they really went and revealed his identity? I know this is the MCU and identities are pretty non existent, but what does that mean for Peter? Can he even go to school anymore? How'll it affect Aunt May? His friends? Are they really serious about this? If so that changes literally everything and that'll take the franchise into a whole other direction.
    Last edited by GSman; 07-02-2019 at 12:29 AM.

I really liked this. Mysterio was quite good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Revealing his identity this early in his tenure is stupid, they've clearly established he's not equipped to be Spider-Man or even the next Iron Man like they are trying to hammer home. Even in the Comics when they did reveal his identity he had been Spider-Man for years and the fallout from that was disastrous. Aunt May was shot, his friends turned on him, He sacrified his marriage....etc...etc.... Just read the real Civil War. Time and Time again has shown that Spider-Man revealing his identity is not a good thing. It works for Tony Stark but just bc it worked for one character doesn't mean it will for another.

I do think that revealing his identity was another attempt at humor. Look how it ended, it ended with him saying the same thing that his Aunt said in the first film when she found out. And also I'm not sure on the logic of how what Beck did in London makes him a hero on the level of the Avengers tho? He literally just appeared on the scene and suddenly he's a worldwide sensation? A leap in Logic there.

We'll have to wait for the answer to that question in the third and hopefully final entry in the Holland Era Spider-Man. At this point I'm more interested in seeing into the Spider-Verse part 2. Its funny Spider-Man had to go to Marvel for me to appreciate the Sony Spider-Man stuff.
    1. Trust me, I am not fond of his identity being made public. Because it goes against everything Peter is about (hiding it to protect his loved ones etc.) He literally had to make a deal with the devil to get that Genie back into the bottle. God only knows how they'll handle it in the films if they do decide to backpedal.

2. Mysterio had been active non-stop for about two weeks. In that time, the dude was front and centre. Gaining huge media attention in the process. With Iron-man, Captain America and Black Widow effectively "dead," the world is looking for someone to fill the void. Mysterio is playing on that fact.

3. Don't think they'll limit it to 3 films. Holland is young enough and can keep it up for years. Just depends on the relationship between Marvel and Sony.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Holy ****! JK Simmons is back JJJ?

I remember Chris Hemsworth and Sebastian Stan asking Hugh Jackman to come back as Wolverine. Now I truly believe they were serious.

Extraordinary Member

Fantastic movie! Seriously, the BEST live action Spider-Man movie I have ever seen. Mysterio is just PERFECT! It felt a little slow getting started, but once it does, wow! 9.5 out of 10.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor