Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The last vignette there...was that the first MCU appearance of S.W.O.R.D.?

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I see Telo's the Skrull changing into peter as Spider-man appears on the scene saying that Mysterio placed Peter in danger to clear himself and you see the two of them together.
    Though Supergirl didn't invent it, that's very similar to what they did with Martian Manhunter.

Though wouldn't the general public be suspicious of the fact that Beck chose Peter out millions of people to frame as Spider-Man? Heck most of Peter's class that he's not close friends with could certainly testify that Peter tends to disappear a lot, in particular Brad. Plus we don't even know if the Skrulls will remain good since at the end of the day, they're still Skrulls, so they might not be able to do that.

But really if they're serious about this, than I'd prefer they actually go through with it. Instead of wasting time in the 3rd movie trying to back track on a plot point that ultimately goes nowhere, making you ponder why they even did it in the first place.
    Last edited by GSman; 07-02-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Though Supergirl didn't invent it, that's very similar to what they did with Martian Manhunter.

Though wouldn't the general public be suspicious of the fact that Beck chose Peter out millions of people to frame as Spider-Man? Heck most of Peter's class that he's not close friends with could certainly testify that Peter tends to disappear a lot, in particular Brad. Plus we don't even know if the Skrulls will remain good since at the end of the day, they're still Skrulls, so they might not be able to do that.

But really if they're serious about this, than I'd prefer they actually go through with it. Instead of wasting time in the 3rd movie trying to back track on a plot point that ultimately goes nowhere, making you ponder why they even did it in the first place.
    I dont think Talos will have a heel turn. But as Feige said there are Other Skrulls out in the universe. Talos led a very small group. We dont know what kinda monsters other group of Skrull had to become to survive.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Alex Jones in his energy level? Or is he yelling about Lizard People and interdimensional vampires stealing our babies? You know normal Alex Jones ****.

So did Ned get snapped? Cause I've seen them in interviews and the actor who plays ned seems like its 40. In Homecoming I bought him as a highschool kid but on Kimmel, I was like oh no hes 45.

Also alot of non Spoiler reviews ive watched seem to say they do a good job fleshing out MJ in this movie.
    Actually, the actor who played Ned, Jacob Batalon is the same age as Zendaya, Tom Holland and Tony Revolori - all of whom were born in 1996, making them only six years older than their characters - which is pretty good for a Hollywood teen movie. Only Angourie Rice, who plays Betty Brant (and I only just clicked that this Betty was supposed to be Betty Brant from the comics...) is significantly younger than the rest, being born in 2001. Great touch that they cast actors of the same age to play classmates, and it's actually very true to life that teenagers of the same age tend to look either much younger or much older than they really are.

Anyway, I really really enjoyed the movie and the first post-credits scene really has me looking forward to the next Spider-man movie. My only real complaint is that the stuff with Peter and his friends trekking through Europe was so nicely played that I could easily have lost an action scene or two to give us more of that. Plus, though she plays an important part in the story, Zendaya's so good as this version of MJ that I still wish we got more of her.

What is really interesting about the film, though, is how differently it will play depending on whether you're familiar with the comics and Mysterio in particular. His reveal probably would come as a shock to the uninitiated but comics fans will obviously see it coming a mile away and the only reason they would have any doubt about his true intentions is because of the way the MCU has sometimes subverted the lore with the likes of the Skrulls and the Mandarin. Either way, though, man, those Mysterio illusions were really well handled. It felt straight out of the pages of the comics. Mysterio, in general, was a definite highlight.

Either way, very cool movie that may feel like a slight letdown after Endgame and Into the Spider-verse but that's less a failing of Far From Home itself than it is a testament to just how bloody good those two movies were (along with Infinity War, of course). It's actually a similar problem to Captain Marvel. Marvel Studios have raised the bar so high that even their "merely" very good movies look like relative disappointments.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Holy ****! JK Simmons is back JJJ?

I remember Chris Hemsworth and Sebastian Stan asking Hugh Jackman to come back as Wolverine. Now I truly believe they were serious.
    Yep, he is back To be fair, there is really no other actor out there that can play the part like him. So glad they opted to bring him back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like they pretty much had Simmons stick to his regular look for the cameo. Funny thing is, he kind of now looks like Robert F Simon's version of the character from the weird 1970s TV show/movies.
    I think they did that to slightly differentiate the two (he is bald in this vs full haired in the original trilogy.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The JK Simmons thing and the overwhelmingly positive reaction just speaks to how much some studios over correct things.

Spider-man 3 wasn’t so good and Raimi had creative differences with the studios but the first two Spider-man movies were colossal and much loved. Rebooting the entire series because of just one movie was just an idiotic move that pretty much blew up in Sony’s face.
    They rebooted because Raimi departed the project. When he left, so did everybody else who was involved. There were a few reasons why he left. But the big two involved creative control and the time frame in which to have the film done by.

Spider-man 3 had too much interference. Raimi didn't want Venom in it. But Arad and other studio heads wanted the character in there as he is a fan favourite. Raimi wanted to have Sandman as the primary villain. He also wanted to tie up Harry's arc as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Fantastic movie! Seriously, the BEST live action Spider-Man movie I have ever seen. Mysterio is just PERFECT! It felt a little slow getting started, but once it does, wow! 9.5 out of 10.
    Yeah, I really loved the Mysterio character, sad what happened. He had super cool tech, pity he had so many character flaws.

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it.

The song at the beginning, with the montage, was amusing.

I was really irked with Fury for most of the movie, so the reveal really turned that around for me.

I reckon they used a little of the Superman theme in 'the dive' before shifting into the Spider-Man theme, but my brother says I heard it because I wanted to

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    I finished watching it about 30 minutes ago, and I'm not sure, but I feel like the snap/blip thing didn't really cover it's tracks as well as I personally wanted. So, MJ, Betty, Ned, Flash, and Peter all get snapped right? And Brad wasn't in high school before, but is now? And the snap victims just appeared where they initially left right? So that means babys that were in cars dropped to the ground on roads, and people in ships and planes fell from the sky to fall to their death, or drown.

Dunno. Felt like that was a huge thing in the MCU that should have been approached better. Normally I'd let that go, but it's been a huge story point in the last few films. Maybe Banner wished everyone back "safely"? Only way I could see that aspect being fixed. A little convenient, but still better in my opinion than radio silence. That was the biggest question I wanted answered.
    They knew they had to get the second snap right - just as Tony insisted that they don't reverse the last 5 years and erase everything that happened, they had to make the 'wish' cover everyone's safety. May popping back into her apartment was a safe place, even if they thought she was a mistress or a ghost; ditto for the kids who returned to the basketball court etc.

(It's unclear, however, if those who were killed as a result of Thanos' snap were brought back. Not those who committed suicide afterwards but those who were killed immediately after - people on the planes that crashed when the pilots disappeared, etc. There's probably a lot of 'survivor's guilt' among those who came back.)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    That's a fan theory not supported by the movie. Clearly the army of heroes was brought back to a different place than they were originally. Why should everyone else have been?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think they were. Seemed like the titans heroes were all brought back on Titan again. Peter even states that Dr Strange had to explain what happened to Peter he just felt weird and the comes back like nothing happened. All the people snapped in Wakanda seemed to come through portals with Wakanda in the background.
    The portals were Doctor Strange's - he was the one pulling in everyone from all the places they had returned to. He had gone around telling everyone that it was time to fight.

Peter said: "You will not believe what's been going on. Do you remember when we were in space? And I got all dusty? And I must've passed out because I woke up and you were gone. But Doctor Strange was there right. And he said 'It's been five years. Come on, they need us.' And he started doing the yellow sparkly thing that he does."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The last vignette there...was that the first MCU appearance of S.W.O.R.D.?
    That's what it looked like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Either way, very cool movie that may feel like a slight letdown after Endgame and Into the Spider-verse but that's less a failing of Far From Home itself than it is a testament to just how bloody good those two movies were (along with Infinity War, of course). It's actually a similar problem to Captain Marvel. Marvel Studios have raised the bar so high that even their "merely" very good movies look like relative disappointments.
    This is just me, but I enjoyed this film far more than I did Endgame. I am not taking anything away from Endgame but they did a hell of a job on this film! Especially with that mid credit scene that has upped the stakes big time for Peter.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Fun flick! Left me feeling satisfied.

I just hope the MCU is done with the Stark/RDJ worship.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

The talk about the ending is probably going to overshadow everything else, but I think it was really well-paced.

spoilers:
    The brief conversation between Peter, May and Happy is framed as if he's confessing to the world that he's Spider-Man, which bookends nicely with the later reveal.
    With Homecoming largely set in the suburbs, and this film largely set in different European cities, Director Jon Watts has made conscious decisions not to repeat visuals from earlier Spider-Man films, so when the MCU Spider-Man is swinging through New York City in broad daylight, which is probably the most iconic Spider-Man visual, this is the first time we've really seen that happen. It creates the impression that this Spider-Man has arrived, that he's done with the origin story.
    Peter flying w/ MJ is fun.
    The Alex Jones-ish J. Jonah Jameson debut is excellent. The first big surprise is that we've got JK Simmons back as Jonah, after a period of twelve years. It's the right approach.
    When he blames Spider-Man for Mysterio's death, that seems like a good enough final twist. Peter Parker is going to be the superhero who no one can trust.
    And then they've got the big reveal.

In the post-credits scene, the idea that the Nick Fury and Maria Hill of this film were Skrulls, helps avoid any problems with characterization in a film that requires Nick Fury to make some big mistakes.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The talk about the ending is probably going to overshadow everything else, but I think it was really well-paced.

spoilers:
    The brief conversation between Peter, May and Happy is framed as if he's confessing to the world that he's Spider-Man, which bookends nicely with the later reveal.
    end of spoilers

Agreed. That's what I thought was happening, initially.

spoilers:
    In the post-credits scene, the idea that the Nick Fury and Maria Hill of this film were Skrulls, helps avoid any problems with characterization in a film that requires Nick Fury to make some big mistakes.
    end of spoilers
    Agreed - as I said above: "I was really irked with Fury for most of the movie, so the reveal really turned that around for me."

It wasn't just the mistakes but the way he was pushing him - Happy's one-to-one with him sort of tied in to the scene with Morgan in Endgame and worked well.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    This is just me, but I enjoyed this film far more than I did Endgame. I am not taking anything away from Endgame but they did a hell of a job on this film! Especially with that mid credit scene that has upped the stakes big time for Peter.
    However much I enjoyed this, Endgame really felt like something truly special to me and, after three viewings, I do think it and Infinity War make up the definite highpoint of the MCU. Spider-Man: Far From Home, on the other hand, is "just" another really good MCU movie.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Holland is coming into his own, now more so than ever with Tony gone, though I do agree with the Tony worship being a bit much, though it's understandable that Peter would still be mourning since timeline wise we're just a few months removed from those events.

Jake Gyllenhaal was great, I really enjoyed his Mysterio, it was definitely faithful to the character with him being a showman and deceiver. Yet he was so convincing to the point where I was starting to buy into his whole "multiverse" story full well knowing Mysterio's history. It's basically just proves that Gyllenhaal is a great actor since it was like he was playing two characters in this movie, the noble honorable righteous Mysterio, and the sleeze bag we all know as Mysterio in the comics. I also liked his relationship with Peter, since they have some genuine heart to heart conversations, but Mysterio's playing him the whole time and taking advange of Peter's loss and him yearning for a mentor figure, which makes the bar reveal all the more dramatic and gut punching.

I haven't seen much talk on Zendaya but I loved her in the film and I say that as someone who was iffy on her in Homecoming and worried about the "MJ" reveal. Her and Holland have some pretty good chemistry. Seeing Peter trying his best to impress her and tell her how he feels, yet constantly getting interrupted by hero stuff is classic Spidey. Yet that brings me to another thing I didn't really like and that was Brad. He felt like an unnecessary add on if I'm being honest. His sole reason for being in the movie is to show the consequences of the "blip" and be a love rival to Peter, yet that in itself was dumb since MJ wasn't even into him, so he felt useless and really contributed nothing to the plot. But back to MJ, I know people will never consider her the "real" Mary Jane, yet I don't even think she's meant to be. She's MJ in name only, her personality is different her view of things are different her attitude is different. Not to mention she's Michelle Jones, not Mary Jane.

Also thank the heavens they brought back JK Simmons there is literally no other actor dead or alive qualified to play Jameson, he was born for the role. I wonder how heavily he'll be involved in the 3rd movie. Also that brings me to the ending, holy crap, they really went and revealed his identity? I know this is the MCU and identities are pretty non existent, but what does that mean for Peter? Can he even go to school anymore? How'll it affect Aunt May? His friends? Are they really serious about this? If so that changes literally everything and that'll take the franchise into a whole other direction.
    I see a little bit of the original 1960s take on Mary Jane in Zendaya's portrayal. Maybe not so much her later versions though. Her attitude just seems a lot closer to "party girl" MJ than Dunst's. Both Dunst and the video game MJ seemed more like girl next door types kind of like Ultimate MJ. Heck, I think even both Gwens felt a bit more like MJ (I remember when Emma Stone was first announced, everybody thought she was PERFECT casting for Mary Jane, but then she ended up being Gwen instead!)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-03-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth