Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

It was a very well done movie.

I just can’t grasp how Mysterio at the end was able to convince people Spider-Man was the bad guy after his hologram tech was exposed. Mysterio himself was in that hologram.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    It was a very well done movie.

I just can’t grasp how Mysterio at the end was able to convince people Spider-Man was the bad guy after his hologram tech was exposed. Mysterio himself was in that hologram.
    Video editing

I imagine that the ending is simply there to force Peter to hand over Edith to the proper authorities or the Avengers, so that Spidey doesn't face his next villain with a fleet of drones as backup.

I mean, Beck is dead so they'll ID him eventually, Spider-man/Peter wasn't anywhere near the first two elemental attacks, Happy has a direct line to law enforcement and hell, Spidey has the Avengers vouching for him.

I imagine that it'll go that Spidey is cleared by a hush hush investigation, JJJ doesn't believe it and empowers Scorpion to take a shot at Peter

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Wonder when did Tony decide to give Peter control of EDITH?
    I've been wondering about that as well...

From Tony's POV, Peter had been 'dead' for five years. And Peter returns literally around 15 minutes or so before Tony dies.

Also, how could Tony entrust Fury with EDITH given that Fury himself was 'dead' for those five years...and Tony doesn't even get to meet him again before his death!

The only way it makes sense is that if Tony developed EDITH sometime after the events of Homecoming, but before Infinity War...and entrusted Fury with it. Then, both Peter and Fury disappeared in the Snap, and re-appeared five years later, shortly before Tony's death. With Tony dead, Fury executes his last wishes by giving Peter EDITH...

This does mean of course that, in-universe, EDITH is a 5-6 year old AI.

Saw the movie yesterday. I loved everything about Peter and MJ, but beyond that I think I preferred Homecoming.

Millions and millions of drones. That...kinda bored me and I hated when they were on the screen. That makes rewatching the movie take a nosedive for me.

I had a different response to JK Simmons back as JJJ: if he can come back so can Elfman's theme.

I look at the reveal like this: they can reverse Spidey killing Mysterio, or Peter as Spidey, but probably not both. Probably the latter so we'd see how Spider-Man can still function as a hero despite being thought of in the public eye as villain.

What if Tony developed EDITH, gave it to Fury in case of his death and Nick was the one who decided to give it to Peter. He just lied about Stark passing it on.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    What if Tony developed EDITH, gave it to Fury in case of his death and Nick was the one who decided to give it to Peter. He just lied about Stark passing it on.
    This. Tony didn't have anything to do with it. Fury had the glasses, Fury wanted them given to Parker. Talos even says he followed Fury's instructions to get them to Peter when he reports in at the end.

Fury lies. He tells people what they need to hear to make them what he needs them to be. Fury wants Spidey on top of his game, Tony was just motivation.

Ultimate Member

I liked this.

Everything around the Spider-man superheroics was brilliant. But I didn’t like the High school stuff, the sooner he gets out that the better. I also want Peter to completely break away from the Stark thing going forward.

The scene with Mysterio messing around with Peter’s head was one of the more trippier scenes in a superhero movie. Final action sequence was spectacular.

So Doctor Faustus from agent Carter was motivated by hating Howard Stark, I don’t remember why. I think one Howard’s inventions killed his family or something.
    Obediah Stane was motivated for hating Tony for making him step down as CEO.
    Whiplash was motivated by his hatred for Howard Stark for getting his dad fired.
    Then there’s Aldrich Killian who hates Tony for leaving him on that rooftop.
    Vulture was indirectly created by Stark for screwing him out of a job.
    Mysterio was a disgruntled employee.

How much better off would the MCU be if Stark Industries had a better HR department?

Ultimate Member

It's amusing that Hank Pym hates the Stark's so much, since he's more like them than he'd care to admit. And one way is in the "creating his own villains by mistake" department.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I gotta admit it was a solid fun movie and the fact that Happy and Aunt May are a couple was a nice touch. Her telling Peter its nothing yet he kinda knows they are more was a fun deal at the end.

It made great sense to see them do the Skrull idea of one impersonating Nick Fury since it made no sense he'd fall for Quentin Beck's scheme. No way is Nick Fury that damn stupid to just take Beck at his word with no research into who he was really or if he had help.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It's amusing that Hank Pym hates the Stark's so much, since he's more like them than he'd care to admit. And one way is in the "creating his own villains by mistake" department.
    Yeah, they are both mad scientist archetypes when all is said and done. Stark is a touch grittier and Pym is a touch sillier, but underneath the grit and the silly they are nearly same character.

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Saw the movie and, I know I'll be in the low minority but it was a meh movie for me. There were somethings I liked about it but ultimately I don't think it will be all that memorable to me.

It was better than Homecoming which is not really saying much bc I was not that big of a fan of Homecoming. And much like Homecoming only the villain left a decent impression.

Jake Gyllenhaal is superb, but he's a world class actor tho so I did not except anything less. He was charismatic as Quenten Beck, when on screen he was always the center of attention and when he was supposed to be threatening it really felt like it was a threat. I'm glad they chose him to play mysterio and I'm glad that they finally brought Mysterio to the big screen. He was always thought to be one of those villains that can't be adapted but he can be and there were moments in this movie that had some potential to be even more awesome.

There were two big Mysterio moments that I just absolutely loved and it really reminded me, in a good way of Batman Arkham Asylum. When thinking of this movie in the future those two moments will be what I think of.

What I didn't like: Pretty much everything else but there are three Big and Key things that just annoy me so I'll focus on those.

1. Once again Disney Comedy falls flat. There were moments in here that were supposed to be funny but it fell completely flat for me. I mean I might have chuckled the first time I heard the 'Peter Tingle' bit but they kept repeating it and then I was like okay come on. At the climax was really hoping Peter would say something along the lines of okay Spider-Sense do your thing.....but again he went with Peter tingle....ugh.

2. Once again the Tony Stark worship. I just do not like the fact that the angle that they went for with Tom Holland's Peter Parker was that he worships the very ground Tony Stark walks on. There's a difference between being a mentor and then sheer unadulterated hero worship. This Peter Parker reminds of Increda-kid or Increda-boy from the Incredibles. Jesus. Instead of focusing on being the next Iron Man he should have focused more on being a better Spider-Man, listening to himself instead of other. That's one of the things I love about Spider-Man he wasn't the side kick or the guy that had the mentorship. He had to rely on himself, and his own sense of morals to guide him through stuff.

I think in the first fight scene with the 'Elementals' after Beck shows up he's like hey guy I've never seen before what can I do to help. Like what the heck, jump in there and do something don't ask someone else or wait for someone else to tell you to help. Now that Tony is dead he's looking for someone to tell him what to do....still. I was hoping after homecoming and Infinity and Endgame he would be getting more confident in himself but that's not the case here.

3. Lastly, the biggest crime is that this movie does not take place in New York City. Last I checked Spider-Man was a New York City hero, we're two movies into the Holland era and there is barely any New York City set pieces to work with. In Homecoming the biggest action scene takes place in Washington DC and now in Far From home it's in Europe. Like what the heck man. This movie could have been so much better in New York. Beck trying to be the next Iron Man and he's starting in Stark's Home Town and not only Stark's Home town but the Avengers former place. The very last 2 minutes of the movie took place in NYC but that's 2mins too little. Just ugh. So annoying. Spider-Man does occasionally get wrapped up in situation that take him out of NYC but we've seen that in Infinity War and Endgame. so this movie should have stuck closer to home.

Tom Holland is great actor but so far he is my least favorite Spider-Man and that's purely bc of how the MCU is portraying him currently. He's more ultimate Spider-Man and ultimate Spider-Man is trash, IMO. Also he's terrible at keeping his identity secret. As it stands for me Spider-Man Far from home is towards the bottom of the Spider-Man movie list.

Spider-Man 2 is still the reigning champion of Spider-Man movies.
    I agree on all counts, though For me Garfield’s Spider-Man is my least favorite. Holland’s could be amazing if he were written differently. The reliance on Stark tech, his two villains having more to do with Tony than him, etc... doesn’t really work for me or really feel like a good adaptation of the comics. Not to mention having so many people know his identity before the JJJ reveal already felt like a problem. For me, the first 2 Raimi movies captured the qualities that I like best about Peter and so far the MCU hasn’t, though I do like Holland as an actor.

But I’ve long wanted to see Mysterio in screen and I loved how they pulled it off. That alone made it worth watching.

How can Spiderman still be in high school after 5 years from IW.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Infinity War happened.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    They explained it in the movie. They had to repeat the same grade again due to time blip. They lost 5 years and suddenly reappeared.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.