21 28.77%
  • Thoughts are on my post

10 13.70%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default What would you do?

From JDW Twitter
    JDW-Tweet-062519.jpg

Discuss your own favorites terrible story & what you want to do with those.
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 06-28-2019 at 05:16 AM.

90% of the time, you get more interesting material by examining or recontextualizing decisions you don't like than ducking.

Sin's Past is not canon, fuck Parallel Lives.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 06-28-2019 at 05:27 AM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

The obvious answer is depends on what exactly your character did, when and where. In the specific case, JDW's problem is with Cyclops not being the character he grew up with, which he, and Marvel, can't let go, despite the fact nearly all fans either liked Scott's character development or would simply be fine with him taking a different approach now.

Depends on the issue, obv, but Snoop’s right. Digging in and offering an updated take is usually better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Depends on the issue, obv, but Snoop’s right. Digging in and offering an updated take is usually better.
    Considering we're taking a guess which character JDW referring to what's your answer?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I don't think it matters all that much. Most stories good or bad can, and will be ignored or perhaps forgotten. An odd issue of characterization is no different. If someone later decides to look back, and make something of it? Sure, alright but going back into a questionable story to sift for gold is a gamble.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Considering we're taking a guess which character JDW referring to what's your answer?
    At first, I thought it was any mutant from the Austen run, but hey I'm old and bitter. "Politically abhorrent" leads me to believe this is in response to Hydra Cap. I admit I don't know enough about that particular story to have enough of a valid opinion.

On the flip side, there are some characters for whom continuity is not as important as the character's symbology and mythology. This is why Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman's best stories are out of DC continuity. I think Captain America qualifies in their esteem, and I don't really mind his book jumping from author to author without honoring what came before. He's more important as a parable protagonist, not a character study.

The Cyclops stuff is a plate of mozzarella sticks that can be wrapped up in a bow within like two pages of competent monologuing while Emma Frost is still a canonical mass murder.

BANNED

As I'd already responded to on the Tweet, it honestly depends.

MOST cases you're better off exploring and repairing what's been done through character development (y'know, assuming long-term character development would ever actually stick and not get undone every couple months). However there comes to be times where developments are SO out of left field, controversial, just plain WTF, or reliant on characters behaving completely OOC to make work, that sometimes have no choice but to just pretend it never happened.

Incredible Member

I would say that it depends on the story, the character involved and writers. Sometimes, a bad story can be salvaged and used to make some good stories but that requires a fair amount of effort and will from writers to make it happen. If writers arent interested in doing anything about it, then it is better to be ignored forever.

Extraordinary Member

Schism. AvX. Terrible stories. Not just for the characters, but the brand.

Absolutely nothing would ever be gained by revisiting any of the stupid going on in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    90% of the time, you get more interesting material by examining or recontextualizing decisions you don't like than ducking.

Sin's Past is not canon, fuck Parallel Lives.
    I would not be against someone who just happened to have a great idea that ended up fixing something bad, but I would rather someone tell a story they believed in then force themselves to come up with some way to repair something that basically goes away as long as no one talks about it. We got so much stupid out of Children's Crusade just to 'fix' Wanda, and it is not like AvX even bothered to care why she was suddenly back and everyone's best friend.

Ongoing continuity is one story.

i'd erase every instance of Mystique being in love or lust with Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    As I'd already responded to on the Tweet, it honestly depends.

MOST cases you're better off exploring and repairing what's been done through character development (y'know, assuming long-term character development would ever actually stick and not get undone every couple months). However there comes to be times where developments are SO out of left field, controversial, just plain WTF, or reliant on characters behaving completely OOC to make work, that sometimes have no choice but to just pretend it never happened.
    This is a good point, it would depend on how much of correction would have to be made. At some point trying to slowly undo stuff is just gonna take forever and not be worth it.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Well given my favorites & the things that have happened to ruin them, it's all better off being ignored forever. But sadly the reverse happens. The good stuff gets ignored, and the shitty stuff is what sticks.

No wonder i'm down to just one now.