Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Marvel has destroyed Jane foster via Her history with Thor.

It’s momen like these is why i dislike how Marvel views their supporting characters and how Jason Aaron’s work witting for Marvel... https://www.cbr.com/jane-foster-thor...ife-off-panel/

Some people just deserve happiness you know.

That family only existed to keep her out of the book because "actual human supporting cast bad."
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Thor's comic history has kind of been all over the place to. As long as he's hitting stuff with his hammer I guess he's still Thor.

As for Jane outside of changing her hair color she hadn't been the most memorable. Are you annoyed they've taken a fairly backgrounded supporting character and love interest and made her a main character? It happens now in then.

Yes her character has changed a lot, but not more than her hair color over the years. Most casual fans just think of her as Natalie Portman's character or female Thor these days anyway.
    The J-man

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Jane recovered from losing her ex-husband and son (and being stricken with cancer which wasn't mentioned) pretty fast. It's like fictional characters aren't weighed with emotional grievances compared to real people unlike what that other guy was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Thor's comic history has kind of been all over the place to. As long as he's hitting stuff with his hammer I guess he's still Thor.

As for Jane outside of changing her hair color she hadn't been the most memorable. Are you annoyed they've taken a fairly backgrounded supporting character and love interest and made her a main character? It happens now in then.

Yes her character has changed a lot, but not more than her hair color over the years. Most casual fans just think of her as Natalie Portman's character or female Thor these days anyway.
    He's disappointed they had to destroy Jane's life just to write her back into the book. That's some Donna Troi mess.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 06-28-2019 at 06:30 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Jurgens, JMS, and Fraction all completely ignored her family and I remember being genuinely surprised that Jason bothered to write a note for them during his research to do the page. They were non-characters best used to make her life sadder.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Jane recovered from losing her ex-husband and son (and being stricken with cancer which wasn't mentioned) pretty fast. It's like fictional characters aren't weighed with emotional grievances compared to real people unlike what that other guy was saying.
    He's disappointed they had to destroy Jane's life just to write her back into the book. That's some Donna Troi mess.
    It’s like Marvel never really cared about establishing Jane Foster’s new family members before they took them all away.

At least DC tried to make Donna Troy’s family worth something before killing them off.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

There are some characters who have been around for decades and you barely hear anything about their families. I guess we just have to consider ourselves lucky that they at least tried to give Jane a family???
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

It's funny how people only care about the family when it gives ammo for complaining about her time as Thor. I'd literally never even heard of the damn kid and ex-husband before people online started constantly bringing them up to "prove" Jane's a shitty mom and a horrible person or something.

more like she destroyed everything related to Thor and Thor himself.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Is Jason Aaron the problem, though? If anything, this article proves that he was following on the already existing trend of using her family as a mere plot device to suit whatever larger narrative the writers wanted her to be a part of. No one was interested in actually giving her family real depth. Now, I'm not saying it's nice that her family was just killed off like that, and I do wish we'd gotten to see a story about her trying to reconnect with her kid, but after decades of them being treated like a footnote in her history, it shouldn't exactly come off as a surprise that a writer finally found a way to retire them for good. If Aaron hadn't done that, we'd just have more stories where they are not explored and we have important things happening off-panel. While the killing off part was not fun, I'm glad Aaron at least found a way to explain their absence and shut down the notion that Jane was deliberately neglecting her kid while she was a superhero.

Jane Foster hit me with a car. I was too afraid to go for a lawsuit, she could sick the gods on me... This is the society we live in...

I don't see how it 'destroyed' her character to kill off the family. Bad things happen to characters, or their loved ones, it's part of comics, and it's part of what character development is made of. It served the point the story was making, (that the gods can't prevent every tragedy) it drove character development for Jane, and as previously mentioned actually used what was a largely forgotten aspect of her character. What's the problem?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It's funny how people only care about the family when it gives ammo for complaining about her time as Thor. I'd literally never even heard of the damn kid and ex-husband before people online started constantly bringing them up to "prove" Jane's a shitty mom and a horrible person or something.
    My first Thor comic was during the time of the married Jane Foster and it was in the 90s. I would have liked to see an issue where Thor saves her kid or something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Is Jason Aaron the problem, though? If anything, this article proves that he was following on the already existing trend of using her family as a mere plot device to suit whatever larger narrative the writers wanted her to be a part of. No one was interested in actually giving her family real depth. Now, I'm not saying it's nice that her family was just killed off like that, and I do wish we'd gotten to see a story about her trying to reconnect with her kid, but after decades of them being treated like a footnote in her history, it shouldn't exactly come off as a surprise that a writer finally found a way to retire them for good. If Aaron hadn't done that, we'd just have more stories where they are not explored and we have important things happening off-panel. While the killing off part was not fun, I'm glad Aaron at least found a way to explain their absence and shut down the notion that Jane was deliberately neglecting her kid while she was a superhero.

Why not show a moment where maybe her kid is worried about his mom having cancer and placing a part of the blame on Thor. I mean it isn’t the first time Thor had trouble with kids of former allies. Remember Thunderstrike ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I don't see how it 'destroyed' her character to kill off the family. Bad things happen to characters, or their loved ones, it's part of comics, and it's part of what character development is made of. It served the point the story was making, (that the gods can't prevent every tragedy) it drove character development for Jane, and as previously mentioned actually used what was a largely forgotten aspect of her character. What's the problem?

We never were given the chance to bond with the family before killing them off.