Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Jane was honestly never that much of a character. There wasn't a lot to destroy. Then we had a writer come and go, "no, Jane needs to be Thor because all Gods suck! And feminism!" and pretty much the entire Thor series went to crap to make her look good.
    That is the best description of the Jason Aaron run on Thor.

I have zero problem with Jane and as a Thor Fan would have been thrilled if they had decided to really focus on her character and make her more important, but when her run as thor includes turning Odinson into an oafish self loathing drunken loser who doesn't even think he is worthy of his name while Jane Thor beats the crap out of Odin and literally has villains surrendering to her because of how impressed they are with her it's really hard not to be somewhat antagonistic towards Jane as thor. War of Realms seemed to put thor into a decent place so maybe things get better but it is hard to trust Aaron at all after how this run has gone so far
    Last edited by regg215; 06-29-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    You can't use her family for plot-critical emotional beats when no one knows anything about them nor have any emotional investment in them. That rings hollow. Unless they put work into going back and making them characters, which they didn't, they can't suddenly be key to the plot. Instead, they addressed what happened to them and left something to be dug into by another writer later.
    You act like that were bound by law to reveal the death of Jane's son at the last second, instead of anytime before hand.

You act as if they were bound by law not to foreshadow it in any way, shape or form before Jane blurted it out.

Did I miss a memo, perhaps?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If Jason Aaron wanted a female Thor without any marital baggage he could've just used Roz.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You act like that were bound by law to reveal the death of Jane's son at the last second, instead of anytime before hand.

You act as if they were bound by law not to foreshadow it in any way, shape or form before Jane blurted it out.

Did I miss a memo, perhaps?
    You act like there was a reason for them or anyone else to give a ****. It could have been ignored entirely and no one would have actually cared.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If Jason Aaron wanted a female Thor without any marital baggage he could've just used Roz.
    Then the book would have been worse, but that might have been worth it to avoid the faux-concern for non-entities.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    T...I have zero problem with Jane and as a Thor Fan would have been thrilled if they had decided to really focus on her character and make her more important, but when her run as thor includes turning Odinson into an oafish self loathing drunken loser who doesn't even think he is worthy of his name while Jane Thor beats the crap out of Odin and literally has villains surrendering to her because of how impressed they are with her it's really hard not to be somewhat antagonistic towards Jane as thor. War of Realms seemed to put thor into a decent place so maybe things get better but it is hard to trust Aaron at all after how this run has gone so far
    Well, when you put it that way it does seem ridiculous and poorly written.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    It’s momen like these is why i dislike how Marvel views their supporting characters and how Jason Aaron’s work witting for Marvel...

Some people just deserve happiness you know.
    Dude shes getting a magic flail and wings. That's a pretty sweet deal, man!

Ultimate Member

You act like there was a reason for them or anyone else to give a ****. It could have been ignored entirely and no one would have actually cared.
    Obviously, people cared. For differing reasons, but they cared

Ultimate Member

Then the book would have been worse, but that might have been worth it to avoid the faux-concern for non-entities.
    Really? Because given Jane's depiction as Thor, I'm hard pressed to see how it would have been much different. Jane's past history didn't come into play as much as it could have (as evidenced by this thread).

Sure, we wouldn't have had the death wish subplot, but as that was barely addressed, would it be much of a loss?

BANNED

You can't use her family for plot-critical emotional beats when no one knows anything about them nor have any emotional investment in them. That rings hollow. Unless they put work into going back and making them characters, which they didn't, they can't suddenly be key to the plot. Instead, they addressed what happened to them and left something to be dug into by another writer later.
    THEN THAT IS WHAT FLASHBACKS ARE FOR IN COMICS!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It would have saved us A LOT OF TROUBLE.

BANNED

Except for the fans that look this stuff up via online.

Except for the fans that look this stuff up via online.
    Yes, because they have a problem with the character and looked for stuff to complain about.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Jane was honestly never that much of a character. There wasn't a lot to destroy. Then we had a writer come and go, "no, Jane needs to be Thor because all Gods suck! And feminism!" and pretty much the entire Thor series went to crap to make her look good.
    There was a pretty good Thor Annual set during the time when Jane was merged with Sif. For me, it was the beginning of the character we know and love now. Jane become more confident and kick ass and wasn't afraid to hit a demon with a sword.

Does anyone know how and where she and Sif got separated, anyway?

During the really bad Roy Thomas run with the Godpack in the 90s she also was one of the better written aspects of the book. Especially her attitude towards Odin's manipulative cruelty was very much like early on in Mighty Thor.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

We never were given the chance to bond with the family before killing them off.
    As opposed to what?

The Flying Graysons?