Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default DC BLACK LABEL to publish dark high-fantasy series ‘The Last God’ in October

DC BLACK LABEL to publish The Last God a 12 issue serie by Phillip Kennedy Johnson & Riccardo Federici in October.
    This October, DC delves into a new world of myth, magic and lore in THE LAST GOD, from writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Last Sons of America, Jim Henson’s The Power of the Dark Crystal), artist Riccardo Federici (AQUAMAN, DARK NIGHTS: METAL-THE MURDER MACHINE) and colorist Dean White (ALL-STAR BATMAN, AMERICAN CARNAGE). The story will follow a cross-generational quest to kill an evil tyrant king–also known as the Last God–as he seeks to destroy the land of Cain Anuun. The 12-issue series begins October 30.

“This is a terrifying horror story told in a stunning epic-fantasy world. Set in two different generations, it follows a mighty fellowship of heroes that travels beyond the borders of creation to kill a god, and the next generation, who learn their predecessors aren’t the heroes the world believes them to be,” says Johnson.

“This series features mind-blowing, terrifying art by Riccardo Federici, colorist Dean White, and letterer Tom Napolitano, three absolute geniuses in their fields, and epic world-building so deep and rich that it exists beyond the bounds of the page. Fans of D&D, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings and Magic: The Gathering, and anyone who enjoys deep-dives into fantasy lore: you will be extremely well-served with The Last God. Stay tuned!”

Thirty years ago, a fellowship of legendary adventurers saved their world by slaying the demonic tyrant Mol Uhltep–The Last God. Following his downfall, the realm entered a new age of peace and prosperity. But a generation later, when the leader of the original fellowship dies, their children and successors learn their terrible lie:

The Last God still lives.

A new generation of heroes must unearth the secrets that their parents kept, and set out to finish what was started thirty years before. And this time, they must not fail.

“When I was asked to draw this series I was so excited, both because I love the fantasy genre, especially when there are horror connotations, but also because it was an opportunity to graphically create a new world,” says artist Federici. “Everyone on the team and at DC has shown me such confidence and I am so thankful.”

DC Publisher Dan DiDio added “This series reinforces DC’s commitment to working with the best storytellers, as well as our commitment to finding new and original concepts to publish.”

THE LAST GOD will release monthly beginning on October 30. The series will be released under DC Black Label, intended for mature audiences.

[

Spectacular Member

Astonishing Member

Seems like Black Label has become DC's new Vertigo.

Damn, it looks stunning. Come on DC, takes my money !

Incredible Member

Killer art. Shall be adding to pull list.

Good heads up OP.

Last couple of years it's been a struggle to find much at DC i want to read but all their most recent announcements look really strong.
    Last edited by iron chimp; 06-28-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Sounds interesting.
    Still not sure what the point of Black Label is though. Since despite its description they're not allowed to show anything actually mature.
    #EmmaWasRight

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I just dropped Justice League...my final DC book...out of sheer boredom.
    Now they tempt me with this bit of gorgeousness!!!
    It's nice to have something new and interesting to look forward to.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I just dropped Justice League...my final DC book...out of sheer boredom.
    Now they tempt me with this bit of gorgeousness!!!
    It's nice to have something new and interesting to look forward to.
    I am in a similar situation. Only reading Terrifics at this point. However, Batman Damned and Superman Year One have both been a nice change of pace, if not only due to the really cool format, but there is only so much 'adult superhero' you can do, maybe this whole Black Label line is something worth really looking into if this is where they are going.

OMG. Amazing. I am in. Why is when I find something really interesting, like this, its a limited series or 12 issues... GRRR.

So is Black Label really the new Vertigo?

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is Black Label really the new Vertigo?
    There was a retcon. Vertigo never existed. Black Label has been forever.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    There was a retcon. Vertigo never existed. Black Label has been forever.
    Yeah, I think Geoff Johns explained this in Doomsday Clock.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Sounds interesting.
    Still not sure what the point of Black Label is though. Since despite its description they're not allowed to show anything actually mature.
    They just aren’t allowed the show Batman’s penis anymore.

High Fantasy? I'm buying and having Riccardo Federici makes this even better.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 06-28-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Sounds interesting.
    The usual pearl-clutching Americans are fine with brutal violence and female nudity but male nudity is Very Bad.

Anyway, this is great to see. DC must have sweetened the pot for these guys so this didn't end up at Image or Boom. If that's the case, then it's a good precedent.