Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    This isn’t actually a problem though.

Ezekiel dies i the early 500’s of ASM. Mysterio returns in the Friendly Neighbourhood arc when Spidey is in his Iron Spider costume, so at the time of civil war.

So there is time for Ezekiel to have resurrected Mysterio. Also. Who know how the passage of time works in this Hell.

My doubts with Ezekiel being Kindred is that Ezekiel always called Peter, P as a nickname, not Pete. Other than that, i think he is a good candidate.

You could also argue that when Kindred says that he is used to living in another mans shadow, he is referring to how he was not a ‘Pure’ totem and peter was and this gave him a sense of inadequacy.
    were you meaning to reply to Inversed?

So there is time for Ezekiel to have resurrected Mysterio. Also. Who know how the passage of time works in this Hell.
    Actually time moves faster in Hell (Damnation #4):

RCO024_w~2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    were you meaning to reply to Inversed?
    I was. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Actually time moves faster in Hell (Damnation #4):

RCO024_w~2.jpg

Therefore, Ezekiel could have spent years torturing Misty and only months had passed between Ezekiel dying and Misty’s resurrection for us and Spidey.

This isn’t actually a problem though.

Ezekiel dies i the early 500’s of ASM. Mysterio returns in the Friendly Neighbourhood arc when Spidey is in his Iron Spider costume, so at the time of civil war.

My doubts with Ezekiel being Kindred is that Ezekiel always called Peter, P as a nickname, not Pete. Other than that, i think he is a good candidate.

You could also argue that when Kindred says that he is used to living in another mans shadow, he is referring to how he was not a ‘Pure’ totem and peter was and this gave him a sense of inadequacy.
    But the issue is that Mysterio says that Kindred was already there in hell when he died in Guardian Devil, long before Peter even met Ezekiel.

So unless they decide to make it where he was ALWAYS Kindred to begin, it wouldn't exactly fit. It's still possible, I'm just not a hundred percent convinced due to the evidence we do know for sure.

1- He wasn't the real Mysterio

2- He didn't say Kindred was always there.
    Last edited by Hugo Strange; 08-15-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Spencer's favorite author is Philip K. Dick. I have known this for years. I did not know that the K stands for... Kindred. Philip Kindred Dick.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    1- He wasn't the real Mysterio
    To be fair, it's pointed out that Mysterio went so far in brainwashing that other guy he even told him Kindred's real name, so that's indicating that guy knew as much as Mysterio himself at least.

Also, ASM#24 is saying that Mysterio was being tortured while he was there, doesn't exactly mean that Kindred was there way before him, does make it more likely that he was there before Mysterio because of the wording, but it's possible that isn't the case too.

Default Decoding Kindred [SPOILER THREAD]

I've been thinking lately about Kindred, the newest arch-foe for Spider-Man. This guy is bad news all around, and is one of the most terrifying new characters introduced in the mythos in a while. Created by Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley, and Humberto Ramos in Amazing Spider-Man (vol. 5) #1, he has shown up in a handful of issues for various reasons.

Here's what his appearances have been like so far:
    * [ASM #1] He's the one who brought Mysterio back as far back as Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (vol. 1) #12 and was interested in partnering with the Other to corrupt Peter Parker; He has Mysterio under a mysterious deal to manipulate/torture Peter; He calls Peter "Pete", suggesting a familiarity with him. Only Peter's friends call him Pete; He has demonic powers and can "drag someone to Hell"; He has a fascination with centipedes.

* [ASM #4-5] He made a deal with Mendel Stromm to "fulfill his heart's desire", which was for Stromm to be seen as superior to Osborn; to that end, he created an army of Tri-Sentinels. Stromm, thinking that he succeeded, was killed by Kindred because it was the "rules of the game"; during this time, he also mentioned that he knows what it's like to "live in another man's shadow." He leaves Stromm's body for Peter to find, as Stromm can only say "Guess my name".

* [ASM #7] He appears familiar to Wilson Fisk, having previously appeared to him. He then tells Fisk to leave Peter off-limits, as it's "the rules". When he reveals Vanessa to Fisk, Kindred says that she was a drinker, "but I'm not one to judge." Then, in a power move, he makes Kingpin bow to him.

* [ASM #10] He is visibly upset at Peter revealing his identity to Felicia Hardy, Black Cat. He mentions that Peter "drags everyone in his own Hell" but that it will soon be just the two of them.

* [ASM #17] Peter has a vision of MJ dead in her apartment as Kraven III taunts him.

* [ASM #18] Kindred narrates this issue, talking about nature and the primal rage of it all as it fits the theme of "Hunted". He makes a comment about he wants to "take care of MJ" while Peter's away, admiring her compassion towards a centipede.

* [ASM #23] Peter rushes to MJ's and finds that she's relatively unharmed. Kindred restates his desire to protect MJ, and says that she'll die because of Peter's choices and actions.

* [ASM #24] Mysterio speaks with his psychiatrist, who talks to him about the time he died. He reveals that while he was in Hell, he was endlessly tortured by the man who would be Kindred and that Kindred had climbed the ranks of Hell to become a demon (suggesting he was not previously a demon). When the psychiatrist forces Mysterio to say Kindred's name, the latter bursts through and "apologizes" to Mysterio before killing him. He says that he "knows what it's like to have a secret". Afterwards, he gives a speech to Peter who is witnessing these events in his dream, and mentions that he takes no joy in killing, and he's looking for Peter to "guess his name". He claims that it'll just be "me and you, like it should have been all along. Then we can face the truth together. The truth of what you did." Then he gives Peter his "name" of Kindred.

* [ASM #25] Here, Kindred realizes Mysterio's ruse and mentions how he's a "slave to continuity", and mentions that he doesn't like killing innocent people. He gives the indication that this "deal" has been given to multiple people. He tells Mysterio that there's "something you want and there's something somebody else wants that I'm going to deny them." He then hands Mysterio a script for a movie, which is apparently impressive enough to get picked up immediately. Later on, we see Kindred mentioning "sins still remembered" and that "we all have scars" showing visible arm holes. He repeats the idea of he and Peter meeting face-to-face, and comments on his plan to go after the other Spider-heroes.

* [ASM #30] As an addendum to issue #24, Kindred goes to Norman Osborn's cell in Ravencroft and mentions how he could kill him and laugh "like he used to". He mentions how terrifying Norman was "in and out of the mask" (suggesting a familiarity with Osborn and Peter) and how he made him feel very powerless. In addition to that, in between fighting Carnage-fused Norman Osborn, Peter has a nightmare about Harry's coming home party, and dreams of MJ, Flash, Harry, Gwen, and Norman. We learn many things in this monologue; that Kindred really knows Norman, and fashioned his identity/costume after the Goblin's to give Peter nightmares. He once again says "who am I to judge?" and claims that Osborn goes after these "children" because they're so full of life and hope, while Osborn is just death and pain. He claims that Norman is the "end of innocence made flesh." There's even this crucial line:
    "Each time he sees you, all I can remember is how he thought he'd have a good life. I suppose we really are very alike in that regard."

The reason why I outlined all of this is because each clue is deliberate and important. Knowing a bit about Spencer, he doesn't do anything without thinking it through. So this evidently all probably reveals who Kindred is before he's officially revealed. Some of his lines are particularly telling, and if we look at them, I think we may be able to make an accurate guess.

What do you guys think of all of this? Who do you believe is Kindred?
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 09-25-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

The clues don’t fit 100%... or even 70%... but the only suspect I can think of is maaaaybeeee Ezekiel. He also called Peter “Pete.” *shrug* If Ben Reilly hadn’t already been brought back in CC, then he’d be a top guess. To be honest, no suspect really fits and either we will think Spencer is a genius when the identity is revealed, or we’ll be left scratching our heads in confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The clues don’t fit 100%... or even 70%... but the only suspect I can think of is maaaaybeeee Ezekiel. He also called Peter “Pete.” *shrug* If Ben Reilly hadn’t already been brought back in CC, then he’d be a top guess. To be honest, no suspect really fits and either we will think Spencer is a genius when the identity is revealed, or we’ll be left scratching our heads in confusion.
    Whoever it is, this has been brewing for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Who is that? Is that from Morning Glories?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    If we compare Kindred to other mystery villains like Goblin and Hobgoblin, the difference is that Spencer hasn't offered any "red herrings". No fakes, no blind alleys, no decoys, no face hidden in shadow decoys (which is how Ditko built up the mystery of the Goblin).

We haven't gotten a tease of who Kindred is behind the mask. Heck, most importantly, we haven't gotten a single confrontation between Peter and Kindred. Unless you count the mental battle in ASM #24.

So I wonder if Kindred is intended to be such a big guessing game at least on Spencer's part.

He's going to be an original character who at the end of an issue says a line that will relate to some fundamental part of Spider-Man but will be both revealing and confusing, and then the very next issue will explain the secret history.

Or my guess above is correct and Abraham is making a high-level play against the Headmaster.