Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Sina Grace talks about Marvel and Iceman - and he's NOT happy

https://sinagrace.tumblr.com/post/18...s-time-i-spoke

Sina Grace isn't pleased with Marvel, and their marketing failures with Iceman. I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing more of Darkveil...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

For all of the progress the LGBT community has made, there is still much work to be done. Pride Month is a reminder of that.

It's saddening, but not surprising that they threw Grace under the bus for trying to do more than be the "token gay writer". After all the hate Grace got on Twitter (death threats, violence threats, rape threats), Marvel barely backed him up.

I enjoyed his Iceman run, and I hope that the powers that be make better decisions in the future.

BANNED

Since Grace is too gracious (hyuck) to do it, I will name and shame.

Editors on Iceman: Daniel Ketchum (presumably the first editor), Darren Shan and Chris Robinson.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

It is toxic how in smaller titles the authors have to do much of the promotion themselves in social networks but Marvel barely supports them there.

They get all the exposure that comes with marketing when it should not even be their job and it sucks.

Not surprised by this. I'm glad he spoke out.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It is toxic how in smaller titles the authors have to do much of the promotion themselves in social networks but Marvel barely supports them there.

They get all the exposure that comes with marketing when it should not even be their job and it sucks.
    It's happening right now with the Invisible Woman book and it's pissing me off. Marvel has done literally nothing to promote the book at all.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post

In this case, it wasn't even lack of promotion. It was Grace being punished when he promoted on his own because the powers that be wanted to be able to control the level of "gay", which is stupid as hell.

I'm a bit confused at what exactly is his point here...

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    https://sinagrace.tumblr.com/post/18...s-time-i-spoke

Sina Grace isn't pleased with Marvel, and their marketing failures with Iceman. I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing more of Darkveil...
    Bring Taki Matsuya Back!!!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

It's happening right now with the Invisible Woman book and it's pissing me off. Marvel has done literally nothing to promote the book at all.
    Such a tragic truth, I honestly forgot it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm a bit confused at what exactly is his point here...
    His point was that the LBGT creators at Marvel have to jump through hoops to get anything done, and how creative freedom suffers for it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Not surprised by this. I'm glad he spoke out.

A Mark Waid book will sell itself.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm personally looking forward to checking him out on Go Go Power Rangers now that he's starting to write that title, and I hope BOOM! Studios treats him better than he was treated here.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    A Mark Waid book will sell itself.
    No book sells with zero promotion, especially a first-time solo mini starring a female character who was always associated with a team.

Grace's post really reveals how Marvel views some books.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I am not surprised. I do hate that he has likely canceled himself at Marvel, but at least he gets to live his truth. Sina got so much hate from comics gaters. I know because I used to "debate" some of them on youtube and other message boards. He got a lot of homophobic attacks from some conservative fans. It is sad that he did not get support, but it is not surprising.

I want to feel positive toward the Marvel editorial teams, but it is hard when we get messages like this. The sad truth is that these editors probably think they are progressive and/or liberal and yet they are a huge part of the problem. The problem is straight guys (on average and in general) do not know what it is like to be LGBT in this world. They don't understand the lived experience of minority groups. It is hard for them to empathize with the "other".

I loved Sina's first run on Iceman. I admit I wasn't a big fan of his second run. But I am a fan of his and I think he has a lot of talent. I hate that he had to go through a horrible experience at Marvel and I hope someone at Marvel does the right thing and addresses this issue. Until then they will be seen as highly problematic from some of the LGBT fans.